A-O, EAO region (Past Pupils), 13 July 2021 -- The 12th Asia-Oceania Congress was the first of the Don Bosco Past Pupils Regional Congresses held on line and the World Confederation is very keen to learn from this innovative experience in view of their 6th World Congress (November 26-28, 2021) as it will be be held in a similar situation.
Two weeks after the end of the Congress, on 11 July, a simple evaluation online meeting was held in the EAO region, in the presence of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB - EAO regional councillor with other three 3 SDB and 5 DB Past Pupils.
It is probably too early for a solid overall assessment, but there are already some important pointers emerging:
* Some 1800 views on the 7 YouTube channels (800 in English and 1000 in other 6 EAO languages, most common being Thai and Vietnamese). For the first time in history the Asia-Oceania Congress is available online anywhere around the world (EAO GEX: English - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JKp2q3fSRdEHev23oYcVA)
* The Past Pupils are very grateful for the heartfelt support from the SDB Superiors (especially the presence of 3 provincials, THA - INA - AUL province is highly appreciated)!
* Probably this July a regular 'formation online' for the SDB delegates to the Past Pupils will be implemented; while the main interest of the DB Past Pupils leadership is focused on the first 5 topics in the 'Leadership Animation Handbook' (ed. 2020: https://www.bosco.link/side_right/60941) . Don't miss this occasion and the Leadership Handbook!
* World Delegate, Br Dominic Nam, encourages all Bosconians to improve their communication and networking at the local and federation level through the well animated social media groups (NB: EAO region with a variety of 5-10 different social media used).
* Highlighted is an open mind to learn from each other (e.g KOR and GIA Federations reaching out to help other countries) or to learn from other Catholic Past Pupils organizations (e.g. Lasallians Alumni Association PNG) and keep in touch with the World Confederation.
* The most frequently repeated request mirrors the first Congress resolution pointing at the super-important role of the SDB Delegate, especially in the context of the EAO region, where the Past Pupils Association is not yet deeply rooted in many countries.
1. We dream and work together that our SDB delegates take active interest in the promotion, animation and accompaniment of the Don Bosco Past Pupils. They can help organise monthly meetings... animate the past pupils regularly in formation towards the mission of Don Bosco. (cf Don Bosco Past Pupils Leadership Handbook’. (ed.2020)
2. We encourage a better spread and knowledge of the World Confederation Statute (ed. 2015) as the guiding force behind the formation of the past pupils Association at the local, provincial and National levels.
3. We encourage and animate the start of the Association of the Don Bosco Past Pupils, at any level in all 28 countries of Asia - Oceania... If there is more than one local unit, then a provincial Association can be formed.
4. We foster networking within the members of our Association, continue to collect data of past pupils at local unit level. A national or province (federation) database of members must be maintained.
5. We foster more systematic, creative and prudent use of digital platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, WhatsApp, Line, Kakao - to connect with more past pupils - to network and inspire each other with our activities.
6. We foster the formation of business clubs when we can help with employment for the young in need and help business growth for other past pupils.
- Full text of the 12th AO Congress resolutions and evaluation
- Leadership Animation Handbook (DB Past Pupils, 2020)
- Don Bosco Past Pupils - EAO region resource page
- 12th Asia-Oceania Congress video on the EAO-GEX FB page