Valdocco, Italy, 18 May 2023 -- During this 'Vocation' month of May each Salesian province holds a large variety of vocation events - Come and See opportunities, Vocation exhibitions, Open doors in the formation houses for the young, vocation recollections or other activities that might foster vocations. From the VocTok in the Philippines North province, to the Vocation Sunday events, there are invitations, consistent every day invitation efforts by some 'Apostles of Vocations' like Br Tena (Philippines South) and many other online and vocation group meetings in our schools, parishes and at province level.
We are happy to share a comprehensive pastoral reflection by Fr Miguel Angel Garcia Morcuendo, SDB - present General Councillor for Youth Ministry. The 12 page "FLASH" 2nd issue (October 2022) vocation culture reflection evolves along the following scheme:
- Vocation animation
- Four microclimates for vocation animation
- Vocation culture - leading to what God wants for our life
- Three stages of a process - vocation proclamation, proposal and discernment
- 'Vocation culture' conditions: prayer, passionate witness, renewal of community life, pedagogy, trust in the generous heart of young people
- Three paths to vocation culture: Pray, Live and Work
The simple, colloquial style of Fr Miguel Angel helps us to find practical and deeply motivating ways for being involved in vocation culture building as individual Salesians, as local communities of SDB, as Educative and Pastoral communities (EPCs) or as a whole provincial community.
Contemplating and living a 'Vocation Culture' is a challenging but future-oriented way of living our Salesian Charism. The 3 Paths to Vocation culture: PRAY - LIVE and WORK are the summary of this deep reflection. Three necessary implications regarding our Lay Mission Partners (EPC members) point to the most practical and concrete action in daily life:
- Review good (best)practices in all sectors of the Salesian mission (house level) and examine which are really impacting on young people
- Promote formation in vocation culture, to help a deeper understanding of vocation
- Offer concrete experience of faith, service and community suitable for each age group and condition. Pope Francis tells us: 'The Christian vocation is necessarily born within an experience of mission'.
Yes, today's Church also needs the Salesian vocation. We need to remind ourselves that vocation dynamics are a life-long process, like a succession of calls and responses, a dialogue between God and every human being, that takes the form of a mission to be discovered.
Related news articles:
- AustraLasia 5475 (IVI) EAO Vocation ministry 2020 - Way Forward
- AustraLasia 5869(II) VocTok contribution to the vocation culture (2022)
- AustraLasia 5980 Vocation Sunday in Korea 2023
- AustraLasia 5984 (I) Vietnam - decline in religious vocations and the Salesian Family