Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

'austraLasia' #608

Globalization the 'crossroads of educative charity': Vecchi

In a posthumous book, the deceased Rector Major of the Salesians takes on the challenge of globalization which has exacerbated the suffering of children and young people 

ROME: May 18 (VID)–"Globalization– The Crossroads of the Educative Charity"  is the title of a book (published by SEI), released after the death of its author Father Juan Edmundo Vecchi.

The volume is a collection of previously unpublished notes and reflections stemming from Father Vecchi in the final stages of his life. Vecchi was moved by a concern to leave the Salesians with a testament in favour of service to the young, whose physical and moral sufferings (as child soldiers, as victims of poverty, violence, and abuse), have been increased by globalization.

Vecchi's thoughts are bound to leave their mark on the Salesian mission and the presence of religious generally in society; a brief glance at the postscript offers an insight into his pages:

"I want to be unconformist in this global village which, while having positive values, knows little of homes or families: homes where one lives fraternally united as children of God; families bound by the obligation of the charity, the only obligation that can cover a multitude of sins. I want to be unconformist in the global village invented by the new economy , which again creates the ancient Epulonis who denies crumbs to the poor Lazarets.

"Globalization has brought the world into our homes, but I would like to bring something from our home to the World - that which Jesus has given to us in time, through the Church, that Don Bosco has conveyed to us by leaving us with an oratorian heart among young people, in every part of the globe… Being present in the world. As Salesians we have to give concreteness to our going against the tide: and the concreteness is educative charity.

"No" concludes Father Vecchi– to the globalization that creates injustice, emptiness, that destroys. "Yes" to the globalization that tries to respond to the deepest needs of mankind, of women, of children, of young boys, girls, of babies… "Am I too, part of the race of Don Quixotes, of prophets, who have not seen their dreams come true? Am I pointing the Salesian Family down impassible roads? I hope not, indeed I would like them to dream with me and to go with me into deep waters… "

1. 0309_Missing

Views138
    Read More
  2. 1051_Dr. Ford sdb tells Australian parliamentarians they face 'awesome responsibility' with stem cell legislation

CategoryAUL Views146
    Read More
  3. 0973_Asia quake: Relatives and past pupils have lost their lives.

CategoryIndia Views150
    Read More
  4. 0632_DIWALI - A CELEBRATION OF RENEWAL - SALESIANS

CategoryIndia Views155
    Read More
  5. 1151_Add some and change one!

CategoryCIN Views155
    Read More
  6. 0733_STEM CELL SCIENCE AND STEM CELL MORALITY

CategoryAUL Views159
    Read More
  7. 0499_Missing

Views160
    Read More
  8. 0974_Asia SDB relief efforts gain additional support

CategoryAUL Views164
    Read More
  9. 0495_Missing

Views166
    Read More
  10. 0446_AUSTRALIA'S BUSIEST TEENAGER: SALESIAN STUDENT

CategoryAUL Views167
    Read More
  11. 0094_Missing

Views168
    Read More
  12. 0491_Missing

Views168
    Read More
  13. 0473_HISTORIC MOVE FOR SUNBURY SALESIANS

CategoryAUL Views170
    Read More
  14. 0564_Francis Alencherry shares his opinion

CategoryRMG Views170
    Read More
  15. 1287_Melbourne Salesian College develops and opens 'Mannix' Year 9 Campus

CategoryAUL Views170
    Read More
  16. 0768_ASIA-PACIFIC YOUTH TAKE LEADING ROLE IN GENEVA 'INFORMATION' SUMMIT

CategoryPac. Views171
    Read More
  17. 1161_Australia pulls out, 'job well done - we're off!'

CategoryAUL Views171
    Read More
  18. 0308_Missing

Views172
    Read More
  19. 0668_SUMMARY OF RM'S #381 AVAILABLE

CategoryAUL Views172
    Read More
  20. 0873_ Aus Province Centre has moved!

CategoryAUL Views173
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 177 Next
/ 177