?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 313 Comment 0

IMG_7110.jpg

By Maria Anna Pfister

Port Moresby, PNG, 5 April 2023 -- Hello, my name is Maria Anna Pfister. I’m from Germany and Poland and I live in Papua New Guinea as a volunteer of the Salesian Sisters of Saint John Bosco for ten months. Arriving on September 16th last year I didn’t really know what would be expected of me. Although I would say, I was well prepared since I joined “VIDES Germany-Austria”, which is the organization for international volunteer assignment in Germany and Austria from the FMA Sisters and who helped and guided me in my preparation. But as Einstein said: “The only source of knowledge is experience” and since I am privileged to have this great opportunity of traveling so far in my young age of being 18 years old, I am gaining a lot of knowledge through experiencing life in this beautiful country.

My main mission during my volunteering is to assist in the school life of MHCVETFC (Mary Help of Christians Vocational Education Training and FODE Center). The beautiful new school for ladies, built by the very kind Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB for the FMA Sisters Community in Port Moresby. To switch the role from being a student not long ago to working as an educator, is definitely giving me a new view into school life. I see how a good school can be a safe place for young people. I am also grateful for all the respect the students and staff members are giving me. The many school events like a Youth camp, the celebration of Teachers' Day (which I experienced for the first time) or the family gratitude day are a great opportunity for me to learn to know the school and the students.

“To become yeast in the human family” is the appeal of the STRENNA in 2023. We can become yeast in different ways. For me as a volunteer it means to share the knowledge I have with the students, to be available and to have an open ear for everyone. It is a silent work amidst the young people since I am one of them.

During my stay so far I have made the realisation that I get more than I can give. I’m getting so much love and respect from the people around me, so much care from the Salesian Sisters and I’m learning much more than the knowledge I can share. I’m learning not to judge too quickly because it turns out to be different than I thought, to be more humble and to appreciate more the things I have or that are given to me. I’m learning to be more independent and to respect anyone and since I have to deal with it in school, I’m learning a lot of maths and physics as well. All these things I’m learning and all the experiences I am collecting are making me grow as a person. But I think this is also what the STRENNA this year is about: Not just to make things grow around us, but also to grow in ourselves as a person.

Maria Anna Pfister is a VIDES Volunteer from Germany. VIDES is the volunteer group of the FMA. It stands for Volontariato Internazionale Donne Educazione Sviluppo. She spends her time with the students and shares her knowledge. In the process she gets more than what she gives.

1-926a62c5-e544-4a1c-819c-f71e6b3b31ae.jpg

1-6195f3f-4e57-49f2-8b87-9055957b5e3f.jpg

1-IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5985(II)_ASC Korea province congress and new province leadership

By ASC Korea province Social Communication Seoul, Korea, 16 May 2023 -- The 9th Provincial Congress of the Association of Salesian Cooperators in Korea was held on 14 May on the 7th floor chapel of the SDB Provincial House and attended by 4...
    Date2023.05.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views440 file
    Read More
  2. 5985(I)_Warming hearts in Yakutsk

First year of Korean Salesian in Yakutsk Yakutsk (Russian Federation)-Seoul, South Korea 17 May 2023 -- Time is flying! It's already one year since Fr Matthew Moon, SDB from the Korea province arrived in Yakutsk, to enrich this most nor...
    Date2023.05.17 Reply0 Views288 file
    Read More
  3. 5984(IV)_2023 Novena to Mary Help of Christians with Past Pupils of DB

Worldwide, 16 May 2023 -- As with every year, these 9 days before the Novena to Mary Help of Christians are a very special time of grace, prayer, common reflection and spiritual animation for the whole Salesian Family. Thanks to the already...
    Date2023.05.16 Reply0 Views298 file
    Read More
  4. 5984(III)_TLS Salesian Cooperators Welcome New 15 Members

By TLS SC Venilale, Timor-Leste, 16 May 2023 -- On Saturday, 13 May 2023, on the occasion of the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima and the Feast of St Mary Domenica Mazzarello, fifteen men and women made their promise as Salesian Cooperators befo...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryASC Reply0 Views327 file
    Read More
  5. 5984(II)_Foundation stones blessed for St John Bosco Church FIji

By Falefa Elia Suva, Fiji, 16 May 2023 -- The parishioners of St John Bosco Parish (Suva, FiJi) gathered on a wet Friday morning (12 May 2023) for the blessing of the foundation of its first parish church. Archbishop Peter Loy Chong of Fiji...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views320 file
    Read More
  6. 5984(I)_Vietnam - Decline in religious vocations and in the Salesian Family

By Vietnam Salesian Family HCM City, Vietnam, 16 May 2023 -- Since the end of the Vietnam War the Catholic community of this large South East Asian country is known all around the world for a large number of religious and priestly vocations...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views375 file
    Read More
  7. 5983(II)_Artificial Intelligence – challenge of our time

By Fr. Jaroslav Vracovský SDB and Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB ZOOM, 11 May 2023 -- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Do we need to be afraid of it? How can we make use of it? How can we use it on a pedagogical basis in our everyday l...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views362 file
    Read More
  8. 5983(I)_Laudato Si Youth Camp - In Time for Earth Day

By Amanda Lomoi, Leila Baoroba and Heautani Babona Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 12 May 2023 -- The Laudato Si' Youth Camp was held from 21 to 22 April at the gymnasium of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko campus. The program was o...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views387 file
    Read More
  9. 5982_Vietnam North Delegation: Confreres Conference 2023

By Br. Minh Luan SDB Hanoi, Vietnam, 9 May 2023 -- From May 3rd to 5th, 2023, the Salesians in the North of Vietnam have spent three days evaluating the three-year plan as well as looking to the future with action lines. Father Provincial B...
    Date2023.05.09 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views358 file
    Read More
  10. 5981_Exchange session between Vietnam's SDB and FMA Novices 2023

By Viet SC Thu Duc, Viet Nam, May 1, 2023 -- The SDB and FMA novices held an exchange session at the Sacred Heart Institute of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians with the theme: The Yeast of Love. The purpose of the exchange was to bu...
    Date2023.05.08 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views510 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 542 Next
/ 542