Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 646 Comment 0

20210513_KOR-(1).jpg

By Fr. Andrea Chang
(KOR Provincial Newsletter - May 2021)

Seoul, KOR, 12 May 2021 -- After 5 years as a 'temporary missionary, 2016-2021' (agreement between two province, SDB Regulations art. 151) Fr Andrea Chang returned to his home province and was assigned to his hometown of Busan (Song-do community in the native place of late Fr John Lee). In the May edition of the Korean Provincial Newsletter Fr Chang shares his lessons and wisdom of past 5 years:

"...Looking back after 5 years of my missionary stay in Japan, honestly I share mixed feelings. Was it too long or too short? After my arrival home one senior confrere asked me: 'Your 3 years in Japan passed so fast?' - But it was not 3 years but 5 years. I spent 3 years in Tokyo, studying Japanese language (NB - but not full-time, with different breaks due to the circumstances)..."

"While studying Japanese, the first 3 years in Japan I spent in Tokyo, two years in Chofu community (formation house-oratory-parish) and one year in Meguro community (parish-oratory-kindergarten). After my Japanese language studies I started my pastoral life, but it was not an easy time to adjust to the different culture in the community and among the young people. The 'wall' of language became higher than I would image at the beginning. Although I was slowly adjusting to the language, there was a need of another extra energy to adjust to the culture in the pastoral work. Since I don't have any teacher's licence, I could not be assigned to the school, so I was sent to two different typical Japanese pastoral communities - Parish with the Kindergarten - in Meguro (Tokyo) and in Beppu (Kyushu island - South)...

..."While reflecting on the different Salesian work situation in Korea and Japan, I need to recognize that I was not able to 'enter more deeply' into this different pastoral situation due to my personal character and attitude. This is probably the main reason and difficulty, and why I finally decided to return to Korea..."

"...Although the mission in Japan province was not easy for me, I have experienced a 'province that is changing - transforming' - both in the fraternal community life as well in the effort to enter more deeply into the mission for poor young people.... If in the future another Korean confrere would like to have a good experience of Salesian life in Japan, my difficulties, success or failures may become a meaningful point of departure for him...I believe, that any confrere who has the heart and faith, would benefit from his Japan missionary experience..."

'... I am very grateful to all who sustained and accompanied me in Japan, and those who helped me with their prayers from Korea. Really I felt this wonderful support from both sides... Japan province is the closest neighbor to the Korean province, both languages are rather close to each other. If any Korean Salesian would open his heart to the Japan missionary life he would really gain a deep experience, since also in Japan there are many Salesian houses."

(Korea provincial newsletter n. 173, May 2021)

Related news articles:

20210513_KOR-(2).jpg

20210513_KOR-(3).jpg

20210513_KOR-(4).jpg

20210513_KOR-(5).jpg

20210513_KOR-(6).jpg

20210513_KOR-(7).jpg

20210513_KOR-(8).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5624(II)_Convocation of the 12th Regional Congress of Don Bosco Past Pupils

By Secretary General PPDB World Confederation of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco, 6 June 2021 -- Five years after the 11th Regional Congress (Timor Leste, Dili - October 2016) the World Confederation President Mr. Michal Hort has convoked the ...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views4228 file
    Read More
  2. 5624(I)_Inspiring young Catholic joins DB Indonesia's YouTube channel to witness to his faith

By Fr. Peter Tukan, SDB Jakarta, Indonesia, 7 June 2021 -- Indonesia is one the few countries in the world that have been producing the world best badminton athletes. Today, the country has Jonatan Christie, 23 years old Catholic, who occup...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryINA Reply0 Views933 file
    Read More
  3. 5623(II)_Solidarity movement with Myanmar continues

By Fr. Václav Klement EAO Region, 5 June 2021 -- Yes, we may already have forgotten the suffering of the Myanmar people, but every day innocent Myanmar civilians and young people are being killed by the military, including yesterday ...
    Date2021.06.05 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views799 file
    Read More
  4. 5623(I)_Celebrating the month of Mary

Vunabosco, Kokopo PNG, 5 June 2021 -- The Month of May has been very special for the Kokopo Educative Pastoral Community. The students of Don Bosco Technical Secondary School together with the parishioners of Mary Help of Christians made a ...
    Date2021.06.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1162 file
    Read More
  5. 5622(IV)_PNG: Retreat for Priests

By Isabella Saleu Port Moresby, PNG, 2 June 2021 -- Parish priests of the Archdiocese of Port Moresby had a week-long retreat at the Emmaus Conference Centre in East Boroko, Port Moresby. The retreat began on 24 May and concluded on the 28t...
    Date2021.06.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views623 file
    Read More
  6. 5622(III)_Gwangju Bosconians celebrate the 'Holy month of Our Lady'

Gwangju, South Korea, 1 June 2021 -- Most of the 25, 000 of Past pupils of Don Bosco (Bosconians - called 'Salesians' in South Korea) who graduated from Gwangju Salesian High School (established in 1956) keep this heartfelt May cele...
    Date2021.06.02 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views608 file
    Read More
  7. 5622(II)_Myanmar missionary shares from South Sudan

By Fr. Francisco Biu Myanmar missionary in South Sudan South Sudan, 1 June 2021 -- These days, social media offer a good opportunity to share our faith, mission or simply life witness to many people. One of the young EAO missionaries in Afr...
    Date2021.06.02 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views4387 file
    Read More
  8. 5622(I)_Pastoral Ministry of the Italians in Thailand

By THA SC Bangkok. Thailand, 1 June 2021 -- On 29 May 2021, Archbishop Paul Tschang In-Nam, the Apostolic Nuncio of Thailand, granted the honour of receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation to 8 Italian youth at the chapel of the Daughters of...
    Date2021.06.02 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1280 file
    Read More
  9. 5621(II)_Past Pupils and Salesians Together Give Relief to People Affected by Covid-19 Pandemic

By THA SC Hatyai, Thailand, 31 May 2021 -- On 30 May 2021, the Salesian confreres, members of the Parents - Teachers Association, and the Past Pupils Association of Saeng Thong Vitthaya School, Hatyai, Songkhla Province - pooled resources t...
    Date2021.05.31 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1255 file
    Read More
  10. 5621(I)_Don Bosco Legazpi becomes model for Rural Youth

By EAO Eco Team Legazpi, The Philippines, 30 May 2021 -- During the Laudato Si' Week 2021 Fr Ronilo Javines, SDB - former Rector of Don Bosco agricultural TVET Legazpi (Philippines, Bicol region), introduced the wonderful experience of ...
    Date2021.05.31 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views866 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 541 Next
/ 541