Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 646 Comment 0

20210513_KOR-(1).jpg

By Fr. Andrea Chang
(KOR Provincial Newsletter - May 2021)

Seoul, KOR, 12 May 2021 -- After 5 years as a 'temporary missionary, 2016-2021' (agreement between two province, SDB Regulations art. 151) Fr Andrea Chang returned to his home province and was assigned to his hometown of Busan (Song-do community in the native place of late Fr John Lee). In the May edition of the Korean Provincial Newsletter Fr Chang shares his lessons and wisdom of past 5 years:

"...Looking back after 5 years of my missionary stay in Japan, honestly I share mixed feelings. Was it too long or too short? After my arrival home one senior confrere asked me: 'Your 3 years in Japan passed so fast?' - But it was not 3 years but 5 years. I spent 3 years in Tokyo, studying Japanese language (NB - but not full-time, with different breaks due to the circumstances)..."

"While studying Japanese, the first 3 years in Japan I spent in Tokyo, two years in Chofu community (formation house-oratory-parish) and one year in Meguro community (parish-oratory-kindergarten). After my Japanese language studies I started my pastoral life, but it was not an easy time to adjust to the different culture in the community and among the young people. The 'wall' of language became higher than I would image at the beginning. Although I was slowly adjusting to the language, there was a need of another extra energy to adjust to the culture in the pastoral work. Since I don't have any teacher's licence, I could not be assigned to the school, so I was sent to two different typical Japanese pastoral communities - Parish with the Kindergarten - in Meguro (Tokyo) and in Beppu (Kyushu island - South)...

..."While reflecting on the different Salesian work situation in Korea and Japan, I need to recognize that I was not able to 'enter more deeply' into this different pastoral situation due to my personal character and attitude. This is probably the main reason and difficulty, and why I finally decided to return to Korea..."

"...Although the mission in Japan province was not easy for me, I have experienced a 'province that is changing - transforming' - both in the fraternal community life as well in the effort to enter more deeply into the mission for poor young people.... If in the future another Korean confrere would like to have a good experience of Salesian life in Japan, my difficulties, success or failures may become a meaningful point of departure for him...I believe, that any confrere who has the heart and faith, would benefit from his Japan missionary experience..."

'... I am very grateful to all who sustained and accompanied me in Japan, and those who helped me with their prayers from Korea. Really I felt this wonderful support from both sides... Japan province is the closest neighbor to the Korean province, both languages are rather close to each other. If any Korean Salesian would open his heart to the Japan missionary life he would really gain a deep experience, since also in Japan there are many Salesian houses."

(Korea provincial newsletter n. 173, May 2021)

Related news articles:

20210513_KOR-(2).jpg

20210513_KOR-(3).jpg

20210513_KOR-(4).jpg

20210513_KOR-(5).jpg

20210513_KOR-(6).jpg

20210513_KOR-(7).jpg

20210513_KOR-(8).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4994(II)_A Work of Devotion: “Tayo na sa Antipolo” Book Launch

DBCS Launches a New Book By Dcn. April Jerome S. Quinto, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 24 January 2019 -- Don Bosco Center of Studies (DBCS) celebrated the feast of our titular patron Saint Francis de Sales, on the third day of noven...
    Date2019.01.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views652 file
    Read More
  2. 5659_Youth Leaders undergo Formation Training

By Christine Maden Rabaul, East New Britain, Papua New Guinea, 28 July 2021 -- Thirty-two youth leaders of the Mary Help of Christians (MHC) Parish, Rapolo, attended an intense one-day formation training at the Haus Sekan Retreat Center, Ra...
    Date2021.07.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views651 file
    Read More
  3. 5192(III)_Sharing the spirit of Don Bosco

North Vietnam By SC sector, Vietnam North Vietnam, 6 September 2019 -- With the start of the new school year 2019-2020, the newly approved North Vietnam Delegation is slowly taking off. With the 44 Salesians of Don Bosco (among them no less...
    Date2019.09.06 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views651 file
    Read More
  4. 5826(III)_Carlo Gastini - The Poet of Valdocco and Feast of the Rector Major

By Past Pupils of Don Bosco World Confederation Turin, Italy, 24 June 2022 -- You may recall that already in June 2021 the Spanish biography (original) of 'Carlo Gastini, A Poet of Valdocco' was presented to the Rector Major on his ...
    Date2022.06.24 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views650 file
    Read More
  5. 5383_European Oratory in five wonderful videos

ALA_5383 Italy, Spain, Germany, Albania and Slovakia By Missions Sector (World) Europe, 22 May 2020 -- Watching all five Oratory videos of the 2020 Salesian Mission Day 'Rejoice! - Initial Proclamation in Europe through Oratories and Youth...
    Date2020.05.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views650 file
    Read More
  6. 6085_Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

48th Pre-Independence DBTI Celebration Mass / Season of Creation By Maria Fatima Alipio Boroko, PNG, 17 September 2023 - The Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI) community celebrated the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross as an a...
    Date2023.09.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views649 file
    Read More
  7. 5526(III)_ASC-FIN Holds Virtual Advent Retreat

ALA_5526 By Imelda D. Benitez-Dometita Makati City, the Philippines, 7 December -- Adapting with the new normal, the Association of Salesian Cooperators (ASC) of Philippines North Province held its traditional annual retreat via Zoom and F...
    Date2020.12.07 CategoryASC Reply0 Views649 file
    Read More
  8. 5301(II)_Caritas Sisters of Jesus at Valdocco 2020

ALA_5301 By our own correspondent Valdocco, Turin, Italy, 22 January 2020 -- The already traditional large group participation (380 SF members), grew beyond the ordinary 'quota' for each of the 32 SF groups with 14 Caritas Sisters of Jesus ...
    Date2020.01.25 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views649 file
    Read More
  9. 5299(I)_“GOOD CHRISTIANS AND UPRIGHT CITIZENS”

ALA_5299 Salesian Family Day 2020 in Thailand By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 18 January 2020 -- On 18 January 2020, about 150 members of the various congregations, institutes and groups, gathered to celebrate the Salesian Family Day 2020. Thi...
    Date2020.01.23 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views649 file
    Read More
  10. 5242(IV)_Above all, a Mother

ALA_5242 Marian exhibit at the Museo di Don Bosco, Mandaluyong By Mr. Adrian B. Tambuyat Mandaluyong City, the Philippines, 2 November 2019 -- She is a model, but above all, a Mother. She is a mother who teaches, who listens and guide; a mo...
    Date2019.11.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views649 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 ... 543 Next
/ 543