PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2284 Comment 0
ALA_5440

20200809_PGS2.jpg

Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown

By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko

DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experience for me and most of my companions as well. For us in Port Moresby it has been the second time of lockdown since the pandemic. Millions of people are dying around the globe because of the COVID-19 virus. Papua New Guinea has not been extremely affected by the virus, but with the recent second wave, we have had over 188 confirmed cases. The increasing daily statistics is very frightening. The greatest fear is that we as a country do not have the resources, facilities, expertise nor specialized doctors to help fight the virus. We also understand that at DBTI we lack the capacity to manage it should anyone be affected. I feel so helpless and hopeless in a situation where I am far away from my family and home and believe my fellow colleagues feel the same way too, as we continuously share our doubts, fears and frustrations.

Putting on a face mask and self-quarantine is difficult and needs time to adjust and adapt. As one who struggles with anxiety and depression, this is a stressful time. People feel bored, tired of seeing the same place and same faces, tired of eating the same food. Some of us are afraid that we might lose our loved ones. We are anxious about our education and we wonder if we will get jobs or lose even the ones we already have. Being locked inside our homes is tough. And all these different emotions and feelings, locked inside our heads has taken a toll on our mental health. It also makes us disconnected and vulnerable to other post traumatic issues.

Dear friends, we need to view the world through a different lens. 'The New Normal' should be put into practice. I encourage you to get rid of that negative little voice in your head. Don’t let it take up space in your head, don’t let it take up space in your home. Be kind to yourself, love yourself. If you can figure out a healthy way to manage your internal narrative, it will be a refreshing breeze that gives you inner peace and opens you to a destiny when the world re-opens.

Where we once saw garbage dumps, and useless waste, we must now see creative spaces that will inspire us to change our attitudes. If we want to survive COVID-19 and emerge a better person, let’s see the world through the eyes of St Don Bosco. Let’s unleash our creativity within and reflect on creative ways to reach out to our brothers and sisters.

Stay healthy, stay safe, stay indoors.

20200809_PGS201.jpg

20200809_PGS202.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5461(III)_Under the coconut trees

ALA_5461 Experience of a volunteer from the Czech Republic By Jaroslav Střasák Port Moresby, Papua new Guinea, 3 September 2020 -- It was 10 February and I stood at the Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby. At long last and after e...
    Date2020.09.03 CategoryPGS Reply2 Views684 file
    Read More
  2. 5461(II)_'Bible and Life' growing amidst the digital world in Korea

ALA_5461 Suwon Province, Caritas Sisters of Jesus, South Korea, 3 September 2020 -- Already 37 years after starting the Bible and Life Publications, the Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Korea are endeavouring to keep up this important Bible apo...
    Date2020.09.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views423 file
    Read More
  3. 5461(I)_Fr Joseph Vu Dinh Liem, RIP

ALA_5461 By VIE provincial secretariat Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 2 September 2020 -- The Salesians of Vietnam have bid eternal farewell to one of their beloved members, 63 years old, Fr. Joseph Vu Dinh Liem SDB. With love for Christ and the yo...
    Date2020.09.03 CategoryVIE Reply1 Views1013 file
    Read More
  4. 5460(II)_The 'Season of Creation' started on 1 September 2020

By our own correspondent Vatican, 2 September 2020 -- SEASON OF CREATION 2020 is an annual ecumenical event held from 1 September to 4 October, and is meant to be a time of prayer and action in favour of our ‘common home’. This ...
    Date2020.09.02 CategoryWorld Reply2 Views617 file
    Read More
  5. 5460(I)_Family spirit - happiness of Salesian Brother

ALA_5460 By Br. Marcelino Ximenes Paranaque, the Philippines, but from TLS Vice-province, 1 September 2020 -- Honestly, I grew up in the Salesian environment. I knew the Salesians from my childhood but I didn’t clearly know the two forms o...
    Date2020.09.02 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views559 file
    Read More
  6. 5459(II)_First Salesian Cooperators Association Congress Timor-Leste

ALA_5459 By Joaoa Da Costa Boavida, SDB Comoro (Dili), Timor-Leste, 1 September 2020 -- On 18 March 2020, the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernández Artime, SDB, published a decree on the establishment of the Association of the Salesian Coopera...
    Date2020.09.01 CategoryASC Reply0 Views626 file
    Read More
  7. 5459(I)_Five Confreres Embrace Salesian Life Forever

ALA_5459 By Cl. David Yan Naing Aung, SDB Photos by Cl. James Aro, SDB Paranaque City, the Philippines, 31 August 2020 -- The Religious Profession of our five Salesian Confreres, which took place today, was a joyous occasion for these who ...
    Date2020.09.01 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views493 file
    Read More
  8. 5458(III)_DBTI Port Moresby celebrates the 205th Birthday of Don Bosco

ALA_5458 By Lucy Napitalai DBTI East Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 27 August 2020 -- On Thursday, 27 August, the staff and students of Don Bosco Technological Institute celebrated the 205th Birthday of St John Bosco amidst the pandemic. The f...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views455 file
    Read More
  9. 5458(II)_Don Bosco Health Centre - Gumbo - Juba (South Sudan)

ALA_5458 Gumbo, Juba, South Sudan, 31 August 2020 -- At the Don Bosco centre at Juba (South Sudan), where we have a school, a Vocational Training Centre (TVET), a Parish, a Refugee Camp for 15,000 Internally Displaced People (IDP), the Car...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views571 file
    Read More
  10. 5458(I)_Inspiring joint meeting of Salesian Cooperators and Past Pupils - Mongolia

ALA_5458 By our own correspondent Online with Ulanbaatar, 30 August 2020 -- On the evening of 29 August (Saturday), the Asia-Oceania GEX regional councillor Mr. Niel Evangelista with his Assistant Mr Andre Launio and world delegate for Pas...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views453 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 541 Next
/ 541