austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5435

20200731_PGS.jpg

Personal sharing of Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb, Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 31 July 2020 --

Islands lost in time

Isolated and cut off as they are from development, the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea are islands lost in time. They lack the basics of water, shelter and clothing. Health and education are limited and as the fourth world they lack the connectivity so much needed in our ‘Digital Age’.

Solomon Islands, ‘Pearl of the Pacific’ has nature at its best in its 992 mountainous islands and coral atolls with a variety of flora and fauna, exquisite and abundant fruits, vegetables, crystal clear water, unique sea creatures. Time stands still as one encounters groups of people, young and old, under the shade of the huge trees, sheltering themselves from the equatorial heat. Regular rainfall over several months of the year, brings a gentle, cool and refreshing breeze.

‘Land of the Unexpected’ is Papua New Guinea, a country inhabited by over 8 million people, 800 tribes and an equal number of languages. A country rich in natural resources, culture and tradition that are passed on orally from one generation to the next. Sadly, the country rates extremely high in violence and in the abuse of the weaker sex.

However, despite its isolation and lack of connectivity, Hollywood and Bollywood action movies are regular forms of entertainment in remote villages of the isolated islands. Gradually these movies are shaping young minds and changing ingrained attitudes, encouraging an abusive lifestyle and encouraging a violent and dominant behaviour.

A mission to our people

Spending nearly two decades of enjoyable mission work, enriching moments of interaction with simple people and adventurous years in the ‘Hapi Isles’ and in the ‘Land of the Unexpected’, indeed a small-time frame for a missionary in the South Pacific, I look back and reflect. Several of the dedicated and brave Marist, SVD and MSC priests, brothers and sisters, have celebrated their ‘Golden Jubilees’ in Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. They have planted the church with great love and sacrifice, blood and tears in these damp and moist islands that are insect prone. Malaria, caused by widely prevalent mosquitoes carrying Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax, weakens the individual necessitating rest.

Over the years, I have learnt to appreciate the people. Their knowledge of mother nature and their ability to manage with the minimum is deeply ingrained in them. “You have a high IQ and are able to perceive, read and understand situations and people. Once you build on your ‘rhythm of life’, you will do excellently anywhere in the world”, was my constant refrain to the students during the Good Morning and night talks.

Missionary activity is something that breaks through our customary models and ways of thinking. (Maximum Illud). It means that as I strive to bring about an authentic missionary encounter with this unique culture, I must strive to divest myself of my own culture. This is no easy task, as I constantly want to return to my food habits, the way I dress and my learned ways of doing things. “Take off your sandals” (Ex 3:5) is a reminder that only then can I be a source of life-giving power of God over the power of death.

My mission was Social Communications and Youth Ministry for the Catholic Church in the Solomon Islands. With an experience of youth ministry in Mumbai, I realized that young people have a lot to do with the media. We need to harness the talent, zeal and energy of our young people and get them involved in the positive aspects of the media. This is not only to their advantage but to the benefit of all in the community.

Part 2 to follow shortly.

20200731_PGS1.jpg

20200731_PGS2.jpg

20200731_PGS3.jpg

20200731_PGS4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Quyn Stuart 2020.12.29 22:25

Thanks for your quick and easy to make recipe of this sweet berry Christmas. Your marketing assignmment help for sharing this recipe is also so concise which can saves both the reader and the writer time. Keep sharing some more delicious and easy to cook techniques.

1. 5377(III)_EAO Salesian Cooperators join the Laudato Si' Week 2020

ALA_5377 By Mr. Philip Yu, ASC World Councilor for the EAO Region (2014-2020) China province, 16 May 2020 -- I am happy to proclaim this meaningful message, indeed an urgent call from Holy Father to “Stand united… in faith as we grow throu...
    Date2020.05.16 CategoryASC Reply1 Views657 file
    Read More
  2. 5255(II)_Who is the Pope for Thai Youth?

ALA_5255 In preparation for Papal Visit later this month By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 19 November 2019 -- Who is the Pope for the Thai Youth? On the 20-23 November 2019, His Holiness Pope Francis will visit Thailand, a country where 94.6% a...
    Date2019.11.19 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views657 file
    Read More
  3. 4986(I)_Salesian Contemplation in Ordinary Life

The life of an FCMN (Nazarene) By Our Own Correspondent Colle Don Bosco, Italy, 20 January 2019 -- Interview with Maria P. FCMN (Fraternidad Contemplativa Maria de Nazareth) N.B. There are three consecrated members at Colle, journeying in t...
    Date2019.01.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views657 file
    Read More
  4. 4579(II)_First Thanksgiving Mass at Maria Auxilium parish, Darkhan

By Ms. Bolor-Uyanga Darkhan, Mongolia, 10 December 2017 -- Fr. Anton Werun, SDB, from Indonesia ordained two months ago at Ulaanbaatar, offered his first thanksgiving mass at Maria Auxilium Parish, Darkhan, the first Salesian parish of Mong...
    Date2017.12.11 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views657 file
    Read More
  5. 4362(I)_Priestly Ordination in Korea

By Fr. John Bosco Lee, SDB Seoul, Korea -- On April 20th, the Salesian Province in Korea held the fervent and joyful Ceremony of the Ordination of four Priests and one Deacon. Bishop Luc Van Looy SDB, Bishop of the Diocese of Gent, Belgium,...
    Date2017.05.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views657 file
    Read More
  6. 4176(II)_The Rector Major enters into the very heart of the Mongolian Culture

By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 23 October 2016 -- Early in the morning Fr. Rector Major left Darkhan from Ulaanbaatar as he intended to spend his second day visit in Don Bosco Darkhan community. As he arrived at Dar...
    Date2016.10.24 CategoryMong. Reply2 Views657 file
    Read More
  7. 6049_Salesian Youth Leadership Camp 2023

By Br. Naruebet Suanchamni Sampran, Thailand, 23 August 2023 -- From 18-20 August 2023, the Salesian Commission on Youth Ministry organized a formation of youth leaders [student councils] of the Salesian schools and representatives from the...
    Date2023.08.22 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views656 file
    Read More
  8. 5806(I)_Another Prestigious Award for Fr. Locatelli, SDB

By J.Mota, SDB Dili, Timor-Leste, 17 May 2022 -- May is a month full of blessings for Fr. Eligio Locatelli, SDB, an Italian missionary who has been living and serving the people of Timor-Leste for more than 50 years. He has already been awa...
    Date2022.05.18 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views656 file
    Read More
  9. 4551(I)_SoloBosco 2017

Salesian Youth Gathering in Solomon Islands 2017 By Sr. Matalena Leota, FMA Honiara, Solomon Island, 11 November 2017 -- History was made on the 10th and 11th of November, the first SoloBosco (Salesian Youth Gathering) with all the young pe...
    Date2017.11.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views656 file
    Read More
  10. 5238(I)_Don Bosco Past Pupils launched in Lahore - Pakistan

ALA_5238 First Centre in Pakistan By Br. Alex Abelgas Lahore, Pakistan, 27 October 2019 -- Following three consecutive monthly meetings - called together by the Salesian community at Lahore, on Saturday 26 October the Don Bosco Past Pupils ...
    Date2019.10.29 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views655 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... 544 Next
/ 544