PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 644 Comment 0
ALA_5350

20200405_WOR.jpg

Salesian Brother reflects on the GC28 experience

By Salesian Brother Alphonse Vu
Delegate for Youth Ministry (SUO province)

San Francisco USA, 4 April 2020 -- It has been a little over two weeks since I returned from the General Chapter and this past Sunday marked the last day of my 14-day life in quarantine. Those quiet days of seclusion allowed me to take time to unpack my experience of the Chapter and reflect. It seems so surreal that only a few weeks ago I was living at the heart of our Salesian charism and for a month I was immersed in conversations that was carrying the Salesian Congregation forward. So much has changed in the course of a few weeks— not only at the Chapter, but the whole world.

We are living in unpredictable times. In a matter of days, our schools had to adapt to a whole new way of educating. Youth ministry programs had to sort out how to minister to the young on new platforms. The daily breaking news of what is happening all over the world made this uncertainty a growing, dismal reality. As a Church we were confronted with how to still remain the Body of Christ despite not being able to gather physically to worship. This change is real and it has impacted every facet of our lives.

Yet in these changing times, one thing is for certain—God’s presence and action. This notion was very evident in our conversations at the Chapter. As we struggled to articulate how to move the congregation forward and respond to the question: what kind of Salesian for the young people today, it was clear that we have been on a journey. This process of deepening our Salesian identity and mission has been the roadmap for the past 40 years, if not more. The underlying thread in this journey is how God has been active in and through many Salesians, both professed religious and lay mission partners. More importantly, is how God has been revealed in the lives of our young people.

While there will not be an official document from General Chapter 28 like there has been in past General Chapters, there are a collection of messages, conversations, and reflections from every corner of the world, including that of the Rector Major and our Holy Father, Pope Francis. I am sure sometime in the future a compendium of all of those writings will be published and made public, but in the meantime, what comes out of GC28, at least for me, is a greater desire to live un-apologetically full of hope and a passion for Jesus Christ. Together with my brother Salesians, along with the many lay people who share our Salesian mission, and “accepting that we are immersed in a moment of change, with all the uncertainty coming along with that” as Pope Francis shared, we become for the young what we have always been called to be: signs and bearers of God’s love, and to also recognize that God awaits us in the lives of our young people.

The coming weeks and perhaps months will no doubt challenge us and we will have to discern the best ways to accompany one another, but we are encouraged to take on with greater zeal “the Valdocco option” that Pope Francis proposed to GC28. We make a greater and profound choice TO BE MORE SALESIAN by being examples of what it means to be a Eucharistic community rooted in the love and mercy of Christ, to not lose sight of our mission: keeping the young at the center of all that we do, to embody a family spirit that leads to an encounter with Christ, and to commit to educating and evangelizing a world so that mercy and hope will transform every kind of poverty, injustice, disease, and even virus.

We entrust to Mary, our Help, the needs of our young people and the world. We pray that the experience of GC28 may penetrate our hearts and inspire us to become more authentic and credible Salesians in this ever changing world.

NB: From the 'IN TOUCH' (Western province of the USA) weekly newsletter (April 2, 2020). Br. Alphonse (Al) Vu is of Vietnamese origin, current member of the Provincial Council and Youth Ministry Delegate (SUO province), elected already for the second time as General Chapter delegate (GC27 and GC28).

20200405_WOR0.jpg

20200405_WOR1.jpg

20200405_WOR2.jpg

20200405_WOR3.jpg

20200405_WOR4.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5253(I)_The hope of the poor shall not perish for ever

ALA_5253 MESSAGE OF HIS HOLINESS POPE FRANCIS THIRD WORLD DAY OF THE POOR 33th Sunday in Ordinary Time 17 November 2019 Dear Friends - EAO Delegates for the Social Communication and Formation, a few days before the visit of Pope Francis to ...
    Date2019.11.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views648 file
    Read More
  2. 5140(II)_1M4M - Chance to Connect to the Word of God

By Mr. Matt Humpreys Engadine Youth Ministry Engadine (Sydney), Australia, 14 July 2019 -- 'I am writing to share with you an online ministry. I thought you might like to share this with others something that is coming from a lay Salesian i...
    Date2019.07.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views648 file
    Read More
  3. 6213_Thailand Hosts the 28th Annual FABC-OSC Bishops' Meeting

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 28 November 2023 -- Don Bosco Home - Bangkok played host to the 28th FABC-OSC Bishops' Meeting from 20-24 November 2023 on the theme "Communication in the Church in Asia Today". Fr. George Plathottam, SDB, t...
    Date2023.11.28 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  4. 5486_Shuwuu Parish in Mongolia give thanks for their new Church

ALA_5486 By Mongolia Delegation Shuwuu, Mongolia, 15 October 2020 -- Since 2016 the Salesians of Don Bosco (Mongolia Delegation) have been entrusted by the Catholic Prefecture of Mongolia with a rural place called Shuwuu, some 40 km from t...
    Date2020.10.15 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  5. 5428(I)_Revised Salesian Prayer Manual ed. 2020

ALA_5428 RMG, Rome, 23 July 2020 -- In the presentation to the 'Salesian Prayer Manual' (220 pages, ed. 2020), the 10th successor of Don Bosco, Fr. Angel F. Artime explains the background and goals of this revised Salesian Prayer Book: "M...
    Date2020.07.23 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  6. 5393(I)_Easter spirituality of the Volunteers With Don Bosco (CDB)

ALA_5393 Sharing of Faith during Pandemic Time - CDB of Manila By Fr. Eli Cruz Assistant CDB (Con Don Bosco) secular institute Manila, Philippines, 2 June 2020 -- Since 2014, the few members of the CDB Center (Group) in Manila, Philippines...
    Date2020.06.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  7. 5071(II)_Six Bosconians baptized at Easter - ATS Hong Kong

Young people in Hong Kong chose Jesus - Easter 2019 By Cl. Leo Leung, SDB Aberdeen Technical School, Hong Kong, 24 April 2019 -- During this Easter Triduum, the Aberdeen Technical School Religious Team held a spiritual camp for the students...
    Date2019.04.24 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  8. 6085_Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

48th Pre-Independence DBTI Celebration Mass / Season of Creation By Maria Fatima Alipio Boroko, PNG, 17 September 2023 - The Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI) community celebrated the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross as an a...
    Date2023.09.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  9. 5615(I)_"You are Salesians in the world": World Delegates Address Salesian Cooperators Worldwide

By Br. Dominic Nguyen Duc Nam, SDB Sr. Lucrecia Uribe, FMA Rome, 22 May 2021 -- Dear brothers and sisters Salesian Cooperators, As a Family we are happy to be able to celebrate together the Anniversary of our Association of Salesian Coopera...
    Date2021.05.22 CategoryASC Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  10. 5611(I)_Korean Missionary in Japan shares after 5 years

By Fr. Andrea Chang (KOR Provincial Newsletter - May 2021) Seoul, KOR, 12 May 2021 -- After 5 years as a 'temporary missionary, 2016-2021' (agreement between two province, SDB Regulations art. 151) Fr Andrea Chang returned to his ho...
    Date2021.05.13 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ... 542 Next
/ 542