PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 632 Comment 0
ALA_5292

20200109_WOR.jpg

An Indonesian Dutchman and a Flemish Ecuadorian

From 'Il Bollettino Salesiano' - Italian version

The Netherlands and Ecuador, January 2020 -- Fr Andy Jebarus (37 years) and Fr Jef Delporte (77 years) are both Salesian missionaries. Fr Andy was sent to the BEN Province (Belgium North - Holland) in 2009 and comes from Indonesia, while Fr Jef from Flanders (BEN province) has already spent 46 years in Latin America (Paraguay and Ecuador).

How did you meet Don Bosco?

Andy: When I was 20, I met a young Salesian by accident in a church in Jakarta. I had never heard of Don Bosco before.

Jef: I met Don Bosco at the oratory in the diocese of Bruges, Belgium as one of the youth. I went there every Sunday with my friends. I met Don Ackaert, a priest and friend who made Don Bosco's life come truly alive.

Are you happy?

Andy: All vocations have their challenges. Despite everything, I am very happy with what I am today. I am an enthusiastic and optimistic person and I hope to stay so, especially in my mind.

Jef: What characterizes me is that I feel happy as a Salesian and as a priest. I also learned a lot from ordinary people. That's how I thought I brought Jesus to the people, but he was already there before me.

How do you see the future of the faith?

Andy: I'm here in Amsterdam to live my faith totally. I want to make my faith visible to young people and therefore make the presence of Jesus tangible. Everyone believes in something, I think. If all Christians made their faith felt, I am convinced that there would be a great future for the faith and for Jesus Christ.

Jef: Being believers is a challenge. Here among the Shuar people faith was the force that supported everything. Now they look to the modern world and their faith fades. But the values of faith attract them, especially young people. And that is our task: to make Don Bosco alive, his heart, his faith for God, Jesus and the Church. Today, with these people.

How do you contribute to this future as a missionary?

Andy: I do the ordinary things that have been entrusted to me in the name of God. Every day I try to make the love, meekness and kindness of Christ tangible through my words and actions. This is only possible by staying close to people and living among young people.

Jef: I spend a lot of time with indigenous people, especially through youth ministry. We recently organized a large Youth Congress here. About 500 young people have arrived. It is the 18th Youth Congress in Ecuador.

How do you rate your experience?

Andy: Being a missionary in Flanders and the Netherlands is a big challenge! Just like a child, I had to learn everything from A to Z again. The language is difficult, the climate is terrible, the culture is different and the way of thinking is also completely different.

Jef: I am grateful to the Salesian Congregation for all that it has given me. From Westhoek I ended up here among the Shuar in Ecuador. For me it is something special. It is not my merit, but a gift from the Lord. And I thank the Lord for being able to do something for the young people. The young people themselves taught me a lot.

Do you have a dream?

Andy: My biggest dream is that people - and especially young people - can experience the love, sweetness, justice and kindness of Christ. And I pray that everything I do will bring them closer to Christ.

Jef: Yes, to continue my work among the people and to teach young people to discover Don Bosco.

NB: Fr. Jebarus is one of 7 missionaries for Project Europe in BEN Province.

• Link to the article 'Destini incrociati' (Crossed Destiny)

• 20200109_WOR0.jpg

20200109_WOR1.jpg

20200109_WOR2.jpg

20200109_WOR3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5591(I)_EAO Eco Team on Igniting Ecological Education, Spirituality and Solidarity in the Region

By Taichi Miranda EAO online, 31 March 2021 -- On the occasion of the solemnity of the feast of Annunciation, 25 March 2021, the EAO Eco Team gathered online to also share the good news of how each Province or Delegation in the region joyfu...
      Date2021.03.31 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views637 file
      Read More
    2. 4528(II)_"I come to do your will"

Priestly Ordinations in PGS By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Vanimo, PNG, 21 October 2017 -- Bishop Cesare Bonivento PIME, Bishop of the Diocese of Vanimo ordained Dn. Solomon Kulo and Dn. Gilbert Pano sdb priests on the 21st October, 2017 at th...
      Date2017.10.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views637 file
      Read More
    3. 6069_DBTI SYM Campaign

By DBTI correspondence Cebu, Philippines, 8 September 2023 -- At the start of the new school year 2023-2024 the SYM leaders, who had a 3-days summer camp training on recruitment, began a two-week recruitment period for the clubs – bot...
      Date2023.09.08 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    4. 5814(II)_DBFC Celebrates the Solemnity of MHC

By Aspirant Olsen Pasahol Don Bosco Formation Center, Lawaan, Talisay City, the Philippines, 27 May 2022 -- Under favorable cool early morning weather, the DBFC community had a successful and meaningful Dawn Rosary Procession from the MHC G...
      Date2022.05.27 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    5. 5765(VII)_Korean Salesian Brother spreading the culture of respect for life

Seoul, Provincial House, 22 January 2022 -- At present there are more than 10 Salesian confreres in the 107 SDB Korean province of the Korean Martyrs (Headquarters in Seoul) who are well trained in counselling of the young people. At the sa...
      Date2022.01.21 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views636 file
      Read More
    6. 5672(I)_ADMA TRAI GAO prepares for 2nd EAO Congress

By Fr. Trung Hoan, SDB VIE North Delegation Thai Binh, Vietnam, 15 August 2021 -- Don Bosco's charism came to Vietnam with the footprints of Servant of God, Fr. Andrej Majcen in October 1952. Now, along with the Don Bosco Province of Vi...
      Date2021.08.16 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    7. 5566_Gathering the wisdom of the 2021 SF Spirituality Days (VDB)

By Volunteers of Don Bosco (VDB) Secular Institute Seoul, South Korea, 8 February 2021 -- Among the EAO participants of the SF Spirituality Days 2021 (online) was also a good representation of VDB members among the 15 different groups of 11...
      Date2021.02.08 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    8. 5184(II)_Province quarterly recollection 2019

FIN By Fr Drans Nolasco, SDB Mandaluyong City, the Philippines, 26 August 2019 -- The Salesians of the Philippines North Province (FIN) gathered together at Don Bosco Technical College, Mandaluyong City for their Quarterly Recollection. The...
      Date2019.08.28 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    9. 4554(I)_EAO Youth Ministry Delegates Gathered in Vietnam

By Fr. Joebeth Vivo, SDB EAO Coordinator for Youth Ministry K’Long, Vietnam, 14 November 2017 -- The Youth Ministry delegates from the provinces of the East Asia-Oceania Region gathered and met at K’Long Retreat Center in Vietnam. Fr. Fabio...
      Date2017.11.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views636 file
      Read More
    10. 6143_Salesian Thailand Vocation Camp 2023 in Udonthani

By THA SC Udonthani, Thailand, 17 October 2023 – The Vocation Sector of the Youth Pastoral Commission led by Fr. Nattawut Kitsawad, SDB, together with the Salesian confreres from Sampran, organized the vocation camp from 12-14 October...
      Date2023.10.17 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views635 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... 543 Next
    / 543