Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 887 Comment 0

20181215_FIS.jpg

Immersion in the Pre-Novitiate

By Pre-novice, Thomas Warwara

Cebu, Philippines, 15 December 2018 -- After my college aspirantate in the PGS Vice-Province I was sent to join the inter-provincial Pre-Novitiate Formation Program in Cebu (FIS) where I journey with other pre-novices from other EAO Provinces. As part of this program we were sent two by two for eight weeks to six different Salesian settings in the FIS Province. I, a Papua New Guinean, was sent with a Filipino pre-novice to Don Bosco Youth Centre (DBYC) in Pasil which is a parish, youth centre and a training centre. Through this immersion experience I had three main realisations which strengthened my vocational choice to the Salesian life.

First, my Salesian community experience made me realise that to be a happy Salesian priest or brother who is working and living in a community, one must cultivate the art of humility, mutual acceptance, good communication skills and relationship as well as the capacity to sacrifice one’s own motivations and ideas for the common good of the community.

Second, my experience of accompanying different organised youth activities in DBYC Pasil made me realise that Don Bosco’s charism and the Preventive System of education are helping a lot of young people around the world. The two days of retreat with the trainees at the Don Bosco Retreat House, Mantalongon and the inter-DBYC celebration in Cebu gave me the chance to be with the young, especially playing with them and praying the rosary with them which gave me that inner joy even though I was tired.

Third, I developed self-confidence to share my talents with the young. I was able to recruit students for the musical animation of the weekly school Mass and taught them new Mass songs. I was told that it has been sometime that students played the guitar to animate the school mass. I also managed to teach Futsal to the boys which was something totally new for many of them. During our farewell program I received many thank you letters for teaching them a new game that they can play if there are not enough basketball courts available in DBYC Pasil. This gave me a great sense of fulfilment.

Looking back at my immersion experience, I am truly grateful because it gave me a new perspective in my Salesian vocational discernment. It reminded the words of Jesus that those who want to follow him must give up everything, family, properties and friends but will receive a hundred fold in return.

20181215_FIS1.jpg

20181215_FIS2.jpg

20181215_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5914(I)_BULABOSCO 2022 in Suva, Fiji

By Afia Enosa Nakasi, Suva Fiji, 20 December 2022 -- This was the first BulaBosco since the Covid restrictions two years ago. The theme was taken from this year’s strenna, “Do all through love, nothing through constraint” ...
    Date2022.12.20 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views885 file
    Read More
  2. 5780(IV)_150 Years of the FMA – Missionary Synodality

By Sr. Maria Anh Thi, FMA FMA Vietnam, 1 March 2022 -- With the conviction that “the missionary dimension is an essential element of the identity of the FMA Institute” (cf. HL FMA, no. 75), and to help the sisters nourish their ...
    Date2022.03.01 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views885 file
    Read More
  3. 4531(II)_Valdocco welcomes 300 members of the Salesian Family - January 2018

World Level Salesian Family Spirituality Days Invitation to Valdocco 2018 By Fr. Eusebio Munoz, SDB Delegate of the Rector Major for the Salesian Family RMG, 26 October 2017 -- The 36th Salesian Family Spirituality Days will be held at VALD...
    Date2017.10.27 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views885 file
    Read More
  4. 4084_Cultural Show commemorates Year of Mercy

By Ms. Arlene Abital Port Moresby, PNG, 30 July 2016 -- Don Bosco Technological Institute, Port Moresby celebrated its 5th cultural show on the 30th of July, 2016 in front of the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Boroko campus. The biennia...
    Date2016.07.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views885 file
    Read More
  5. 5323(I)_Salesian spirit is alive at Valdocco

ALA_5323 Towards the Salesian 'penance' amidst the young By our own correspondent Turin, Valdocco, 21 February 2020 -- On the last of the 3 spirituality days, all GC28 members received a wonderful gift - the unexpected visit of Cardinal Osc...
    Date2020.02.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views884 file
    Read More
  6. 4889(II)_"Community of Communities Together with the Youth"

5th National Salesian Family Encounter, the Philippines By Ms. Junifer Maliglig, ADMA Victorias, the Philippines -- Last October 20, 2018, around 200 Salesian Family members from the Philippines North and South Provinces joined the 5th Nati...
    Date2018.10.22 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views884 file
    Read More
  7. 4806(I)_Learning patience on the roads of Laos

Interview with Bro. Carlo Bacalla, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Vientiane, Laos, 2 August 2018 -- Don Bosco Vocation Training Center and Running for Charity: Brother Carlo originally from the FIS province (Philippines South) was for 13 year...
    Date2018.08.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views884 file
    Read More
  8. 4663(I)_Do you believe in the Salesian Family?

EAO Provincial meeting - Day 4 EAO Provincials learn from the Salesian Family By Our Own Correspondent Dili, Timor Leste, 9 March 2018 -- The fourth day of the EAO provincial meeting 2018 started with many joyful moments. The participants f...
    Date2018.03.09 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views884 file
    Read More
  9. 4390(III)_SYM in Japan

By Mr. Chihiro Okawa DB past pupil and a supporter of the SYM Tokyo, Japan -- On the 26th May, the memorial of St. Philip Neri, who was respected by Don Bosco, the SYM Japan hosted a small gathering for the First Mass of the newly ordained ...
    Date2017.05.27 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views884 file
    Read More
  10. 5905(III)_Two Salesians ordained priests in Myanmar

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Pyin Oo Lwin, Myanmar, 11 December 2022 --On 8 December 2022, at 7:00 a.m. local time, the Vice-Province of Myanmar was blessed with two newly ordained Salesian priests, namely Fr. Anthony Vallence, SDB and ...
    Date2022.12.11 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views883 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 ... 543 Next
/ 543