austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1436 Comment 2

20180311_IDN.jpg

Vocation story of Indonesia prenovice (2)

By Stefanus Belido Maing

Sumba, Indonesia, 10 March 2018 -- My name is Stefanus Belido Maing, just call me Stef. I am a 18 year old pre-novice here in Don Bosco Sumba. Actually I was born in Larantuk, Flores, a town several thousand kilometers from here.

So, how did I end up here, in the Salesian Pre-novititate House, in this Island of Sumba? Well, I would say that Google Search had brought me to Don Bosco. And here is how it came about. …

When I was in my Year 11 of Senior high school in my hometown, I was invited to spend some days of Easter in a seminary to think about my vocation. I was attracted to a number of activities of being close to God and its way of life and thought of becoming a religious.

After graduating my Year 12, I asked permission from my parents to take the entrance test in a famous convent (=SVD) of religious. I took the test with my other companions, but later was told that I was not accepted. However, a nun called me up and told me of a new male congregation that was based in Sumba Island: the Salesians of Don Bosco.

I have never heard of this congregation, except that Don Bosco was the patron of a nearby school. So, I quickly took out my mobile phone and searched Google for “Don Bosco Sumba.” There was not much information that came up, but there was something about Don Bosco and Jakarta. So, I searched Google again and read more about St John Bosco being a founder of a religious order that took care of the young. I could not explain it, but I felt an affinity for working with the young and the children.

However, an uncle priest who also heard about my interest to join a religious order, had called up my father so that I could try to join my uncle’s congregation that was based in Kalimantan. And my father preferred to follow my uncle’s advice, while I was not so much inclined towards it.

I felt anxious because I was apparently going against my father’s wishes. However, the whole extended family was consulted about this, and my father eventually agreed to let me try the Pre-novitiate of the Salesians in Sumba.

Now, already 7 months have passed since I first entered the Pre-novitiate here in Sumba and I am happy, knowing more about St John Bosco and the Salesian way of life. For example: doing one’s ordinary duties, extraordinarily well. But despite that, I still lack a better mastery of the English language. I guess Google will come in useful again, right?

Maybe… how about Google Translate? (wink).

20180311_IDN1.jpg

20180311_IDN2.jpg

20180311_IDN3.jpg

20180311_IDN4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • august18nani 2018.03.12 12:25

God indeed works in so many ways... including Google!  What a wonderful story.  

This is how God whispers specially to the millenials.  My prayers for you, Stefanus.

agnes p.

• Fr. Noel 2018.03.13 13:16

Dear Stef,

Congratulations !

Glad to know the story of your vocation.

You are a Vocation through the digital media.

God bless your generosity.

Fr. Noel Maddhichetty

Director - Mission Office South Asia.

Bosconet.

1. 3670_Salesian Family held Formation Day on DB's Life

By Deacon Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB with additional reports from Ms Maria Junifer Maliglig Don Bosco Technical Institute, Makati City, Philippines, 11 July 2015 — The Salesian Formation Day was held in DBTI-Joy Center, Makati City on 11 July ...
    Date2015.07.12 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1408 file
    Read More
  2. 5110(I)_Salesian Resource for the Extraordinary Missionary Month

October 2019 By Salesian Missions Department RMG, Rome, 3 June 2019 -- Four months before the start of October 2019 declared by Pope Francis an "Extraordinary Missionary Month" for the whole global Catholic community, the Salesian Family to...
    Date2019.06.06 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views1407 file
    Read More
  3. 5132(II)_Filipino missionary in Middle East

Interview with Deacon Rodil Lladones By Our Own Correspondent Bethlehem, State of Palestine, 8 July 2019 -- Newly ordained deacon Rodil Lladones (Filipino missionary from Legazpi), met the Rector Major and his Council on their pilgrimage to...
    Date2019.07.08 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1406 file
    Read More
  4. 4774(I)_20th Edition of Festa Junina Hamamatsu

Brasilian Catholics in Japan celebrates Festa Junina By Hamamatsu Brasilian Catholic Community Hamamatsu, Japan, 24 June 2018 -- Last weekend, June 23-24 was celebrated the 20th edition of FESTA JUNINA, a traditional feast of Brasilian Cath...
    Date2018.06.29 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1406 file
    Read More
  5. 4605(II)_Do you know the first EAO Salesian?

First local Salesian in the EAO Region: Bro. Simone Tse Ping Yuen (1902-1926) By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong, 9 January 2018 -- In the Necrology of the China Province (1902-1986) edited by Fr. Rassiga we can read the short and m...
    Date2018.01.09 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1406 file
    Read More
  6. 5087(II)_EAO Salesian Spirituality Seminar

17 Participants from the Thai Province By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 12 May 2019 -- From 8-30 May 2019, the Salesians and their lay mission partners [catechists, personnel involved in the pastoral ministry] from the various educational cente...
    Date2019.05.13 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1404 file
    Read More
  7. 4784(I)_Kool Adventure Camp 2018 in Cebu

SYM Personal Leadership Formation By Mr. Gabriel Veloso Cebu, the Philippines, 30 June 2018 -- The Salesian Youth Movement (SYM) organized the Kool Adventure Camp (KAC) – Youth Development Program (Personal Leadership Post Program) for Cebu...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1402 file
    Read More
  8. 4689(I)_30 years of fidelity to Don Bosco

FIS novitiate batch at Valdocco: Fr. Randy Figuracion, Br. Ed Villordon, Bro. Manny Gacayan and Fr.Cyril Cardinal Interview with two Salesian Brothers who celebrate 30 years of religious life: Bros. Ed Villordon and Manny Gacayan By Our Own...
    Date2018.04.05 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1401 file
    Read More
  9. 4380(II)_EAO Seminar on Salesianity

By Fr. Charles Arun Michael SDB from Delegation of Cambodia Parañaque City, the Philippines, 12 May 2017 -- When asked by my Delegation superior to go for this seminar I was very interested because I loved Salesianity studies. However, I wa...
    Date2017.05.14 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1401 file
    Read More
  10. 3748_Second Rectors meeting 2015

By Fr. Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia - The 22 Rectors and the Priests-in-Charge together with the Provincial Councillors of the province of Mary Help of Christians [Australia & Pacific] gathered at the Salesian Province Centre...
    Date2015.09.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1401 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 544 Next
/ 544