Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20171231_WOR.jpg

Project Europe: multicultural community of Amsterdam

By Cl. Cirilo de Deus, SDB
Timorese missionary in Amsterdam, BEN provinc

Amsterdam, Netherland, 31 December 2017 -- I wish from afar but deep down in my heart a Blessed Christmas and happy new year 2018 to all of you. May the Child Jesus bring bountiful joy to your life, your family and community. I am sure that everything will be good in the next year if we really reserved always a special place for Christ in our hearts.

Here, I want to share with all of you my personal reflection as a missionary ad gentes. In a nutshell I want to say that it has been a very difficult year to be assigned as a missionary in Europe. Thus, I have always asked myself: “How can I survive and living to the full my vocation as missionary ad gentes in Europe?"

I would like to share three main answers or motivations that I have been able to provide for myself during past months in Belgium North - Netherland province: Grace of God - Vision of Faith - Prayer.

It is the grace and will of God

Nothing is impossible for God. The story of Jonas in the Bible makes me think about my life. God sent Jonah to Nineveh to ‘facilitate’ the repentance of the sinners but he tried to escape at the beginning of his vocation - mission. He refused to cooperate with God. It is interesting that Jonah was not able to go about his own plan as he wanted to. At the end, God is able to make him cooperate and even ‘enlarged’ his own vision.

I consider my missionary life to be the grace and will of God because of my daily challenges I experience: the language barrier, the cultural shocks (in big and small sizes), the (cold) weather, the style of life, the way of living the faith. All of these life difficulties have impact on my missionary life. Sometimes I wanted to do things in my own way and according to my whim. Yet, I have learned so far that God has made me humble and grateful in following him wherever He may lead me. He does everything to me as he did to Jonah.

The vision of faith

As a human being in the secularized world it is difficult to accept something beyond the explanation and proofs provided by science. How to find God in such a world which is heavily influenced by scientific dictate? I do not believe in the dualism between science and faith. I affirm that God intervenes in our life. If I look back and reflect what I have experienced, it was God’s care and protection. He did not let me alone in time of difficulties. And He would always be with me in every circumstances, as he promised

"I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.” (Mat 28,20)

Prayer

I am powerless to control the world even myself when I face difficult situation. I need someone who understands me deeply. He is God. I brought everything that I felt and experienced and expressed it through my daily prayer. This has been a reliance which I have rebuilt in myself since my first dream to become a missionary when I was still a novice. Until now, thanks be to God, I maintain this contact with the Lord through daily prayer both in community and personal prayer such as: rosary, thanking the Lord before sleep and wake up, etc. That is the strongest point in my life that I do regularly and trying to faithfully and devoutly fulfilling them. I have experienced that the Lord heard my cries

These are the three reasons that strengthen me and keep me happy and optimistic as a missionary.

I am joyful in my assignment here in Amsterdam (Netherlands) with four confreres from our province, Belgium North and Netherlands. We are a multicultural community of Belgian, Indonesian, Indian and Timorese. Our community mission is entrusted with four parishes, five churches, at distance of seven kilometer away from our community. We have just begin new pastoral activities for youth such a sort of Lectio divina and Taizé style prayer gathering.

We hope that through the intercession of our Mother everything will be better in the next year and bring more fruits to the Kingdom of God.

20171231_WOR1.jpg

20171231_WOR2.jpg

20171231_WOR3.jpg

20171231_WOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4615(II)_Still Christmas in Cebu

Cebu prepares the Feast of Santo Nino By Fr. Nioret Geronimo Jr, SDB Cebu, the Philippines, 15 January 2018 -- Christmas is longest in the Philippines, starting as early as September when we start hearing Christmas tunes aired on the radio ...
    Date2018.01.19 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1205 file
    Read More
  2. 4615(I)_Workshop on social communication organized by association of Salesian Cooperators

By Fr. Chinh Pham, SDB K’Long, Vietnam – In two days, January 13-14, 2018, a workshop on social communication was held at the Salesian community of K’Long by the Association of Salesian Cooperators, Vietnam Province. Around 30 participants ...
    Date2018.01.19 CategoryASC Reply0 Views5359 file
    Read More
  3. 4614(II)_"Basketball is our encounter and sharing"

53rd Don Bosco Youth Basketball Tournament By Fr. Bosco Park, SDB Gwangju, Korea, 14 January 2018 -- The 53rd edition of the Don Bosco Basketball Tournament in Gwangju was held in the days of January 12-14, 2018. The Youth event was organiz...
    Date2018.01.18 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views831 file
    Read More
  4. 4614(I)_Friendship football games in Don Bosco Cat Dam

North Viet Nam By Minh Tam, SDB Cat Dam, Viet Nam, 14 January 2018 -- On last Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 was a really a blessed and joyfull day for all the yung in youth center in Cat Dam Salesian community. This was the day of football games in ...
    Date2018.01.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1118 file
    Read More
  5. 4613(II)_Discerning Youth Ministers: SYNAG 2018

Salesian Youth and Animators’ Gathering (SYNAG) By Ms Jessa Mariel Dela Peña SYM-FIN Junior Youth Leader Mabalacat, Pampanga, 15 January 2018 -- “Let your light shine!”— the battle cry of every Salesian Youth and Animators’ Gathering (SYNAG...
    Date2018.01.17 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views3730 file
    Read More
  6. 4613(I)_The Impact of Social Media Communication on Youth in the era of Globalization

First National Conference of GEX in Timor-Leste By Mr. Alberto Piedade Dili, Timor Leste, 14 January 2018 -- GEX (Don Bosco Young Alumni) Timor-Leste has recently nominated three responsible members namely: Mario Martinho, Americo Valentim ...
    Date2018.01.17 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views992 file
    Read More
  7. 4612(II)_'To Strengthen our commitment in Salesian Mission'

Visit of the Rector Major in ITM Vice-province (January 30 - February 7) By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 16 January 2018 -- Also this year the Rector Major has chosen to celebrate the Solemnity of St. John Bosco not at the Valdocco of Turin (...
    Date2018.01.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1140 file
    Read More
  8. 4612(I)_Servant of God Fr. Charles Braga - Selected Letters published

By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 15 January 2018 -- The formal process of Beatification of the Servant of God, Fr. Charles Braga (1889-1971) is going on at diocesan level still collecting the testimonials and with the work of the historical co...
    Date2018.01.16 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  9. 4611_Don Bosco opens again the doors to fire victims in Pasil

Fire in Pasil Barangay, Cebu (FIS) By Joint SC-YM Team Cebu, the Philippines, 14 January 2018 -- In the afternoon hours of Sunday, January 14 erupted rather strong fire in Barangay Pasil (three Sitios were affected: Riverside, Maharlika and...
    Date2018.01.15 CategoryFIS Reply5 Views2446 file
    Read More
  10. 4610(II)_Dream of Don Bosco Past Pupils in Panay

Sharing the dreams of the Salesian Family By Don Bosco Past Pupils Iloilo, the Philippines, 11 January 2018 -- The Don Bosco Alumni (DBTI Victorias) of Panay are grateful to Fr. Godofredo Atienza, FIS Provincial and the members of the FIS P...
    Date2018.01.14 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views999 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 ... 542 Next
/ 542