Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2017.11.01 15:50

4536(II)_The Knock

Views 1573 Comment 0

20171101_PGS.jpg

The Vocatin Story of Yawalele Pius

By Asp. Yawalele Pius

Port Moresby, PNG, 1 November 2017 -- The plane elevated from Gurney airport, circled twice, then headed in the direction of Port Moresby. All the passengers on board were travelling except for me; I was “FLYING”.

Sanderson Bay came into view below and the Owen Stanley ranges stretched out in heaps of endless Blue Mountains towards Central Province. There were times as I recalled, when the so called MBA (Milne Bay Air) was rendering air service on Good Enough Island. The planes would come to the Island every Sunday morning. I was still a small boy, then. When the plane comes, we (the children) would run out into open spaces or clearing, or run out of the house if we were inside and watch the plane until it disappears into the sky, or, goes to land at Vivigani Airstrip. When on our way to the river to bathe for Sunday school or Mass, we would wish that the pilot should see us and come to take us. Sometimes we would sit by the fire in the evening and dream of traveling on aeroplanes one day. Some years went by, and there my wish came true, or was it a dream. It was my first time to travel by plane.

But how did this whole sequence begin?

I now live at the Savio Haus aspirantate in Bomana doing my Religious Studies (RS-1). Despite the many challenges and setbacks as any person can experience, I want to give of my best in any way possible.

I am from Good Enough Island, Milne Bay Province. There are six of us in the family. One girl and the rest are boys. I am the second child, the eldest being my sister. My parents were married in 1990 and I was born four years later.

The whole of my life was spent on the Good Enough Island since my birth to the time I graduated from Grade 12 at Santa Maria Secondary School, Watuluma, in 2014. During my school days, when I received my end of term report, the comments would be: “A quiet person.” Indeed, it was all too true about me. In all the twelve years at school, I can say with certainty that I had asked less than ten questions, not to mention the questions I answered because I rarely answer questions during class. I only did my tests and assignments.

My first encounter with the Salesians was not by vocation promotion talk, but by the movie of Don Bosco that I watched after I graduated from Grade10. Religious life was not my dream and I never thought of becoming a priest.

But one day when the Lord touched my life, and my world turned upside down. After my grade twelve, there was no offer for me and I was not accepted in any institution I applied to. So I stayed back home. Formal education for me was over and it was time to substitute the biro (pen) with the spade; and book with soil. Nothing mattered most than adapting to village life and living as a village person. It wasn’t that bad, it was only a matter of adjusting the sails to go with the wind.

Then, one day I requested Sr. Shanty, an MSI sister from India and with the help of Sr. Rita MSI, I was able to meet Fr. Pedro, a Salesian priest at Alotau. Then in 2016, under the guidance of my parish priest, Fr. Robert, I went to Rabaul.

If the Lord calls me to live this life, I wish no more than do what he intends me to do. I want to see many young people fulfilling their dreams following Christ in the footsteps of Don Bosco. I also would like the young people of my Province to experience the presence of Don Bosco and have a taste of His System of Education for the young.

It all began with a simple YES. God knocks on the door of our heart day by day. He wants to come in. Am I ready to let Him in? Or one might ask, “Have I heard God calling me?” No. Rather, let us ask, “Have I ever LISTENED?” He is constantly calling us, but His call is suppressed by music through my headset from the mobile phone or I am too busy answering the messages from my friends on Facebook.

I conclude with my favourite quote of Mother Teresa. ‘Before you speak, it is necessary for your to listen, for God speaks in the silence of your heart’.

20171101_PGS1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4909(II)_From the cradle of the Salesian charism in Japan to the Provincial centre

Rector Major's visit to Japan (4) By Fr Michael Lap, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 10 November 2018 -- Flying back to Tokyo from Miyazaki in the evening, the Rector Major visited the Provincial House of the Japan Province (GIA). He greeted the confrere...
    Date2018.11.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1581 file
    Read More
  2. 4744(II)_Why is the Salesian Brother absolutely necessary in each community?

China province Brothers prepare for the 2018 EAO Congress By Bro. Francis Lam Ying, SDB Hong Kong, 1 June 2018 -- Also Salesian Brothers of the mother province (1906 - arrival of Fr. Versiglia to Macau) are in full swing with the preparatio...
    Date2018.06.02 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1578 file
    Read More
  3. 4854(II)_Laotian life dreams are becoming reality in Don Bosco

Interview with Laos - Vientiane Don Bosco VTC student By Fr. Patricio Maccioni, SDB Vietnaine, Laos, 17 September 2018 -- Mr. Kasanya is a young energetic and determined man, 23 years old, sixth in a family of 8 siblings (four sisters and f...
    Date2018.09.18 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1577 file
    Read More
  4. 5352_Famous song-prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

ALA_5352 What is your contribution to the Vocation culture? EAO Region - Formation, 8 April 2020 -- On the eve of Holy Thursday, when we give thanks for the gift of the Eucharist and the Priesthood, it's a good time also to spend time in ad...
    Date2020.04.08 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1576 file
    Read More
  5. 4751_Patient, humble and hardworking Salesian witness

In memory of Fr. Fortunato Giacomin, SDB By Fr. Joachim Ye Maung, SDB Mandalay, Myanmar, 7 June 2018 -- "He made a deep impression me as a young priest and bishop. I first came to know him at Anisakhan where he was living, welcoming visitor...
    Date2018.06.08 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1576 file
    Read More
  6. 4536(II)_The Knock

The Vocatin Story of Yawalele Pius By Asp. Yawalele Pius Port Moresby, PNG, 1 November 2017 -- The plane elevated from Gurney airport, circled twice, then headed in the direction of Port Moresby. All the passengers on board were travelling ...
    Date2017.11.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1573 file
    Read More
  7. 5259(IV)_Prayers during the discernment for new SDB provincial of India-Tiruchy

ALA_5259 By Our own correspondent Tiruchy, Tamil Nadu, India, 26 November 2019 -- There are 90 Salesian provinces around the world and each year some of them get a new provincial, to exercise the service of authority for a 6 year period. Ea...
    Date2019.11.26 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1569 file
    Read More
  8. 4715(IV)_Another Year of God’s Grace and Mercy

Renewal of Religious Profession of the nine young Salesians By Cl. John Paolo Romero, SDB Canlubang, the Philippines, 1 May 2018 -- The nine youngest Salesians, by far, of both the north (FIN) and south (FIS-PAK) made their renewal of Relig...
    Date2018.05.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1569 file
    Read More
  9. 3746_St. John Bosco tours Ayala Malls

Fr. Randy A. Figuracion, SDB Cebu, Philippines, September 22, 2015 - The Ayala Malls welcomed the Patron of Youth by opening its door to the #DB200 Exhibit entitled “St. John Bosco: God’s Gift to the Young.” The country-wide exhibit aims at...
    Date2015.09.23 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1568 file
    Read More
  10. 4901(II)_Caritas of Jesus Sisters in Suncheon are touching hearts through quality medical care

Towards the 50th anniversary of St. Carollo Hospital (Caritas Sisters) KOREA By Fr Stefano Yang, SDB Suncheon, Korea, 2 November 2018 -- Twenty years after the blessing of the new St Carollo (St Charles) hospital building in Suncheon in 199...
    Date2018.11.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1567 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 542 Next
/ 542