PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2284 Comment 0
ALA_5440

20200809_PGS2.jpg

Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown

By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko

DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experience for me and most of my companions as well. For us in Port Moresby it has been the second time of lockdown since the pandemic. Millions of people are dying around the globe because of the COVID-19 virus. Papua New Guinea has not been extremely affected by the virus, but with the recent second wave, we have had over 188 confirmed cases. The increasing daily statistics is very frightening. The greatest fear is that we as a country do not have the resources, facilities, expertise nor specialized doctors to help fight the virus. We also understand that at DBTI we lack the capacity to manage it should anyone be affected. I feel so helpless and hopeless in a situation where I am far away from my family and home and believe my fellow colleagues feel the same way too, as we continuously share our doubts, fears and frustrations.

Putting on a face mask and self-quarantine is difficult and needs time to adjust and adapt. As one who struggles with anxiety and depression, this is a stressful time. People feel bored, tired of seeing the same place and same faces, tired of eating the same food. Some of us are afraid that we might lose our loved ones. We are anxious about our education and we wonder if we will get jobs or lose even the ones we already have. Being locked inside our homes is tough. And all these different emotions and feelings, locked inside our heads has taken a toll on our mental health. It also makes us disconnected and vulnerable to other post traumatic issues.

Dear friends, we need to view the world through a different lens. 'The New Normal' should be put into practice. I encourage you to get rid of that negative little voice in your head. Don’t let it take up space in your head, don’t let it take up space in your home. Be kind to yourself, love yourself. If you can figure out a healthy way to manage your internal narrative, it will be a refreshing breeze that gives you inner peace and opens you to a destiny when the world re-opens.

Where we once saw garbage dumps, and useless waste, we must now see creative spaces that will inspire us to change our attitudes. If we want to survive COVID-19 and emerge a better person, let’s see the world through the eyes of St Don Bosco. Let’s unleash our creativity within and reflect on creative ways to reach out to our brothers and sisters.

Stay healthy, stay safe, stay indoors.

20200809_PGS201.jpg

20200809_PGS202.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4877_When the ways of the Lord are not always our ways

A personal sharing on Spirituality By Fr Valeriano Barbero, SDB Kokopo District, East New Britian, PNG, 9 October, 2018 -- Fr Valeriano Barbero SDB is a pioneer of the mission in Papua New Guinea. The Salesian mission was launched in 1980 b...
    Date2018.10.10 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views2446 file
    Read More
  2. 3663_Wishes for a successful student life

Prince Andrew visits Don Bosco Technological Institute, Papua New Guinea By Ms. Arlene Abital East Boroko, PNG, July 3 - Don Bosco Technological Institute, East Boroko was privileged and honored to be visited by His Royal Highness, The Duke...
    Date2015.07.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2431 file
    Read More
  3. 3836(I)_Aspirants Missionary Experience in Araimiri

By Fr. Pankaj, SDB Port Moresby, PNG - It is so much of happiness to see a places that you have never been too. This is the longest trip for most of us on the vehicle - seven hours from Port Moresby to Kerema. The views on the highway was p...
    Date2015.12.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2360 file
    Read More
  4. 5440(III)_The World through a different lens

ALA_5440 Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experie...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2284 file
    Read More
  5. 5690(I)_Plant visit at Steel Industries – Gordons, Port Moresby

By Br. Reto Wanner SDB Don Bosco Tech Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG, 10 September 2021 -- On Wednesday, September 1, the Grade 12 MFM (Machine fitting and Maintenance) students from Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, had the opportunity to pay...
    Date2021.09.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2244 file
    Read More
  6. 3595_Tenk yu tru! Last full day of the Rector Major in the PNG (RM in EAO_5)

By Our Own Correspondent (Port Moresby, PNG) For the Rector Major each visit to some province of country means four distinct moments: meeting with the young people, with the members of Salesian Family, with the Salesians of Don Bosco as wel...
    Date2015.05.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2213 file
    Read More
  7. 3717_The Highlands of PNG celebrate Don Bosco bicentenary

By Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB Simbu, Papua New Guinea – 21st to 22nd of August 2015. In many parts of the Salesian world, the bicentenary of Don Bosco’s birth was celebrated on or before the 16th of August. In the Highlands Region of Papua New ...
    Date2015.08.23 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views2180 file
    Read More
  8. 4336(III)_Rev. Fr. Pedro Baquero Jr, SDB ordained 4th Bishop of Kerema

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB, Fr. Angel Sanchez SDB and Karl David Valmonte Kerema, PNG, 25 March 2017 -- The Episcopal Ordination of Bishop Pedro Baquero Jr. SDB, of the Diocese of Kerema, took place, on 25th March, 2017, Solemnity of the Lo...
    Date2017.03.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2174 file
    Read More
  9. 5315(II)_Opening Mass of the Holy Spirit at DBTI

ALA_5315 By Sean Dolla Boroko, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 7 February 2020 -- The Opening mass of the Holy Spirit for Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko was held on 7 February 2020 at the Upon conclusion of the Shrine of Mary Hel...
    Date2020.02.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2124 file
    Read More
  10. 3711(IV)_Your Gift to Don Bosco - Now and Forever

By Josephine Sager and Arlene Abital Photographs by: Christina Delgado, Arlene Abital and Maria Fatima Alipio, Fr. Ariel Macatangay sdb and Fr. Angel Sanchez sdb Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, August 16, 2015 - “What is Don Bosco asking of...
    Date2015.08.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2120 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 55 Next
/ 55