Bangkok, Thailand, 3 August 2020 -- The Provincial community of St Paul the Apostle (THA) of Thailand - Cambodia - Laos is mourning the sudden demise (due to heart failure) of Fr. Michael Adulkasem on 2 August 2020 in Ko Samui (Surat Thani diocese, belonging to Surat Thani SDB community). Fr. Adulkasem was born in 1955 (Phrae - Chiangmai, Thailand), made his first profession in 1978 (Canlubang-Philippines) and returned to the house of the heavenly Father after 42 years of Salesian consecrated life and 34 years of priesthood.
Fr. Michael spent the time of his initial formation both in the Philippines (Novitiate, Postnovitiate and Theology) and in Thailand (Aspirantate-Prenovitiate and Practical training in Surat Thani and Sarasit school in Banpong). He left us a life witness of life-long learning - he spoke Thai, English and Chinese and in 1995 also defended his MA of Education in community development - "Factors influencing people participation in village development: a case study at Ban Tab Christ in Phanom Changway, Surat Thani'. Thanks to his language skills and patience he translated the 'Salesian Youth Ministry Framework of Reference' (ed. 2014) 2015 into Thai.
His 34 years of Salesian priesthood were dedicated to the education and pastoral work in the following Salesian works and communities:
- 1986-1991: Banpong, Sarasit School (prefect of studies)
- 1991-1992: Bangkok, St. Dominic School (economer)
- 1992-1996: Yala (most southern Thailand Salesian mission)
- 1996-2000: Haad Yai, School (vicar - economer)
- 2000-2003: Bangkok, St. Dominic (vicar - economer)
- 2000-2002: Provincial delegate for the missions
- 2003-2005: Banpong, Sarasit School (economer)
- 2005-2006: Yala-Pattani (assistant parish priest)
- 2006-2016: Koh Samui (parish priest)
- 2016-2017: Banpong, Don Bosco technical school (vicar, in charge of boarding house)
- 2017-2018: Surat Thani community (parish priest of Nakhon Si Thammarat)
- 2018-2020: Surat Thani community (parish priest of Koh Samui)