Fatumaca novices in dialogue
Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 16 October 2019 -- Already 1500 years ago in the Benedictine Monastic Rule of Religious life, wisdom based on experience had emerged: 'The abbot (superior of the religious community) is also called to consult his novices'. During the animation visit of TLS Vice province, our Regional Councillor, Fr. Klement, spent two full days with us in Fatumaca and also dedicated two hours to the Novitiate.
The 19 novices in Timor Leste (Novice director: Fr. Anacleto Pires), almost ready for their first profession in two months time (8 December) shared their vision of the future of the Salesian charism in their country during the morning hours of 16 October: What do you find most important for the future of the Salesian charism?
Two strong points emerged during their simple group sharing: We are called to get closer to the young, to accompany them in a more effective way in accordance with their needs. And the witness of the family spirit, based on the Salesians who live and work together in the same mission was the second point:
- Salesians who know how to work and live well together
- Salesians who are closer to the young and know how to listen to them
- Salesians who take care of the poorest youth where their education is concerned
- Salesians who know youth well and know how to animate them
- Salesians who are looking for jobs - employment for the young
- Salesian who foster vocations through their attractive life witness
- Salesians with a passion and dedication for the mission, with a missionary heart
- Salesians who are able to get the interest of digital natives and martial arts club members
The 2019 Timorese novices come from all corners of the youngest country in the EAO region (it gained indepence in 2002). They have come to the novitiate in Fatumaca after one year in the prenovitiate at Los Palos and have come from two distinct aspirantates (Dili and Fatumaca). We may listen with attention to their fresh insights in order to move with the Congregation towards GC28: "What kind of Salesians for the young people of Timor Leste?"