Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2997

Happy Feast Day of St Francis of Sales!
HAGATNA:24 January 2012 -- Given that Fr Gerard (Gigi) Ravasco has written from Guam ("Happy feastday on this glorious day of St Francis of Sales. I'm dabbling again with media files..."), let his greeting be for all of us, and given that this is the communicators' feastday as well, let's follow up what Gigi is talking about - it will be of interest!

A website known as Radix.com has done what inevitably someone had to do - given the narrative ploy of the 'dreams' which Don Bosco used so effectively amongst his boys, it just needed someone to take contemporary media nad revitalise them. This is what Barry Douglas has done. You can be your own judge of the effectiveness of his presentation, but regardless of what you think of it, the idea can but spur on the enterprising to do similarly....

Which is where Fr Ravasco fits in. A long-time devotee of the digital and its value for effective evangelisation and education, he is a member of the Salesian community in Guam (Fr Duenas Memorial School) and also runs an online media course (University of the Philippines, Open University).

Last year he decided to work out how to make an app for android devices, so after ploughing through a few tutorials, he eventually came up with a 'Salesianity.apk'.  I happen to have a copy - if you'd be interested, just ask. Mind you he may have updated it since, but I'm sure, reading this, he'll be in touch about that!

Now Fr Ravasco has put his hand to another little enterprise, "since I'm teaching a course this semester (print and radio materials for development communications) which has to include a bit on online writing and podcasts. I got hold of the radix.com website where they have this very interesting DVD on the Dreams of Don Bosco part 1. But instead of getting this, I bought the older audio file they developed on the Dreams of  Don Bosco (there are 7 dreams). And I'm trying to divide it into episodes (one a day) just in time for the feast of Don Bosco.  So it's like a dream a day to keep us awake. Would be a good educational tool to develop later".

Once he has worked out how best to embed audio files, our enterprising confrere will (almost certainly by the end of today) have the ability to fulfil his dream re the 'bigger' dreams, and you will have one more resource during the lead-up to the Feast on 31st. Enjoy. The link to 'Journeying' is from the image at the top.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
238 World 0157_DON BOSCO AFRICA! 444
237 World 2566_'Tell the story of Jesus' - an appropriate New Year's Greeting! 444
236 World A taste of two tales -only available here1385_ 444
235 World 0041_Dear Confreres of the Australasian Region, 444
234 World 2283_School Ethos and Chaplaincy - David O'Malley SDB 443
233 World 3270_And then came Valentino... 443
232 World 2261_"Humble, steadfast and strong": Blogger from 139 442
231 World 1225_Reprints and new prints: publishers on the move 440
230 World 0884_Your handy reference to all things Salesian: test it out now 440
229 World 1731_Working on a new service - a digital library for EAO 439
» World 2997_Happy Feast Day of St Francis of Sales! 439
227 World 1298_Review of Moja translation of Teresio Bosco's Don Bosco: una biografia nuova 438
226 World 3010_A reader asks a question - of all of us 437
225 World 2560_Further resources for 18th December...and other items of interest 437
224 World 2377_Cameroon: a Salesian Africa insider view 436
223 World 1981_Readers' questions about .....Zefferino, Zeferino, Zeffirino, Ceferino, and so on and so forth 435
222 World 0908_Don Bosco's spirit top of the chart: language science reveals 'our' language 435
221 World 0888_Don Bosco the mini-series. Coming soon to your TV screen! 434
220 World 2345_Feast Day musings - from the digital world 434
219 World 2153_Faculties & Departments of Communication in Catholic Universities called to Rome 434
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35 Next
/ 35