NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1981

Readers' questions about .....Zefferino, Zeferino, Zeffirino, Ceferino, and so on and so forth

ROME: 9th November 2007 -- It would be no surprise to readers of austraLasia that its coordinator spends more time answering readers' questions or reactions than he does putting together the daily news item - the news item is but the public, visible part, like the iceberg.  Underneath that is the daily correspondence, the real 'flow' (not 'floe'!) of news.
    One set of questions recently has been in reference to the Salesian student originally from Chimpay, Argentina, to be beatified this coming Sunday 11th November.  How are we to write his name?  Is it Zefferino, Zeferino, Zefirino or Ceferino?
    Let me preface this response by insisting that his real name is none of these!  At home he was known as Morales, but as he was leaving Chimpay in accordance with his father's wish, and his own for that matter, his father said: "You will no longer call yourself Morales, but Ceferino". This was his baptismal name of course......
    But back to the question - how should we spell the name in English?  I put it to Fr Pascual Chávez, a few hours before he departed for Chimpay and the Beatification.  Here is his response:
    "I think the best spelling to adopt in English is as in Spanish - Ceferino. I can understand the spelling 'Zefferino' in Italian, first because he lived in Italy and then because of the way the sound ('C') is transferred into Italian ('Z'). We should maintain the original".
    So there you have it! The Spanish spelling is simple - no double letters, no confusion between 'e' and 'i'. Once we move the name away from its original form and let it loose in Italian (or English for that matter) it begins to stray, orthographically speaking.  Let's keep it at 'Ceferino'.
    Incidentally, and in answer to another question - has there been a recent bio in English of Ceferino?  We recall Aronica's Chief of the Andes, and Lappin's Bury me Deep, but no, there has not to my knowledge been a recent bio in English.  There is some good material in Spanish however!  One example is a very recent item from Imprenta Salesiana in Peru: a pamphlet, really, simply called Ceferino Namancurá (and that's the other thing - don't forget the acute accent on the á), cleverly put together as an interview with CN, plus other information on his life and an acceptable, less over-the-top interpretation of things (hagiography can be a real pain at times). ISBN 978-603-45106-0-9 or contact boletin@salesianos.edu.pe.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xml Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
238 World 0157_DON BOSCO AFRICA! 444
237 World 2566_'Tell the story of Jesus' - an appropriate New Year's Greeting! 444
236 World A taste of two tales -only available here1385_ 444
235 World 0041_Dear Confreres of the Australasian Region, 444
234 World 2283_School Ethos and Chaplaincy - David O'Malley SDB 443
233 World 3270_And then came Valentino... 443
232 World 2261_"Humble, steadfast and strong": Blogger from 139 442
231 World 1225_Reprints and new prints: publishers on the move 440
230 World 0884_Your handy reference to all things Salesian: test it out now 440
229 World 1731_Working on a new service - a digital library for EAO 439
228 World 2997_Happy Feast Day of St Francis of Sales! 439
227 World 1298_Review of Moja translation of Teresio Bosco's Don Bosco: una biografia nuova 438
226 World 3010_A reader asks a question - of all of us 437
225 World 2560_Further resources for 18th December...and other items of interest 437
224 World 2377_Cameroon: a Salesian Africa insider view 436
» World 1981_Readers' questions about .....Zefferino, Zeferino, Zeffirino, Ceferino, and so on and so forth 435
222 World 0908_Don Bosco's spirit top of the chart: language science reveals 'our' language 435
221 World 0888_Don Bosco the mini-series. Coming soon to your TV screen! 434
220 World 2345_Feast Day musings - from the digital world 434
219 World 2153_Faculties & Departments of Communication in Catholic Universities called to Rome 434
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35 Next
/ 35