Cause of Beatification and Canonization of Fr. Andrej Majcen,
Servant of God
By Fr. Alojzij Snoj, SDB
Vice-postulator of the Cause
Rakovnik - Ljubljana, Slovenia, 28 September 2019 -- Friday 27 September, the Salesian Family of Slovenia with many distinguished SDB guests from Vietnam and from Rome celebrated the closure of the diocesan inquiry in the process of canonization of the Servant of God, Fr. Andrej Majcen (1904-1999) - Don Bosco of Vietnam. The 3 day program includes rich content and nurtures the missionary spirit in both provinces related to the Servant of God.
Among those present was the SDB Postulator General, Fr. Pier Luigi Cameroni, the Viceprovincial of Vietnam-Mongolia province Fr. Joseph Am, the Salesian Bishop of Thai Binh (Vietnam) Mons. Peter De and about 50 participants, mainly from Slovenia.
Fr. Cameroni highlighted the missionary spirituality profile of the 'Patriarch of the Vietnamese Salesians' with the 6000 pages of his 'spiritual journals' and many testimonials gathered during the diocesan process. The Archbishop of Ljubljana, Stanislav Zore, strongly encouraged the whole Salesian Family of Slovenia to 'disturb God through the intercession of Fr Andrej Majcen' asking the necessary graces in the daily life and mission.
The celebration continues on Sunday September 29th, with the Slovenia Salesian Family Day
- 09.30 Welcome: Majcnova hiša - The House of Majcen
- 10.00 Talks: Fr Pierluigi Cameroni SDB (Postulator General)
- Sr. Brigita Zelič, FMA (former provincial)
- Dr Lodovica Zanet (member of the SDB Postulation office)
- 12.00 Lunch: Majcen House
- 13.30 Visit to the tomb of the Servant of God at Ljubljana Central cemetery
- 14.30 Documentary on the Life of Fr Andrej Majcen: Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Rakovnik
- 15.00 Solemn Eucharist: Presided by Archbishop of Ljubljana, Stanislav Zore
The servant of God, Fr. Andrej Majcen - Don Bosco of Vietnam, was a role model for his novices, including the present Vietnam-Mongolia provincial, Fr. Joseph Quang and many Salesians of the first generations.Fr. Majcen was also a good communicator in many languages. In the missionary museum in Ljubljana we find his letters in Chinese, Vietnamese, Slovenian, English and Italian. He might be a good patron of the EAO translators. His departure for heaven matches with 30 September - the International Translation Day (UN) and Feast of St. Jerome. His simple biography is available on Boscolink.
Related news articles:
- AustraLasia 2724: Vietnam celebrates 11th anniversary of Fr. Majcen's death (2010)
- AustraLasia 5072 (I) Gratitude to the missionaries who worked in Vietnam is the strongest motivation today
- AustraLasia 2723: Vietnam and Slovenia rejoice on the opening of diocesan process