?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2440 Comment 1

20150828_AUL.jpg

By Fr. Denis Allen, diocesan priest of Hobart

Tasmania, Australia - During an August 27 Dominic College Assembly retired priest of Hobart Archdiocese, former student of the (former) Boys Town (1946-1956) shared with the 900 students and the Salesian educative-pastoral community his life story. Simple, deep and powerful faith-witness of Fr. Denis Allen, the first priestly vocation of this almost 70 years old Salesian school, the only in Tasmania.

I came to Boys Town Glenorchy in 1947, just one year after the foundation of Boys Town and Fr Brennan was the Rector. I had not met a priest before, it was the first priest I ever met in my life.

On arrival he said: "Come on, son let us go to Benediction!" "Bene.... what..." was my reply. In the tiny Chapel of the Boys Town one of 4 ex Hydro Huts (=workers prefabricates) I can still remember the Sight, the Sound, the Smell of it all a combination of candles, incense and flowers with small white DISC (=Eucharist) on the altar.... "What is this?" I asked myself and have been finding out ever since!

Because of my parents' illness I came to the (Salesian) Boys Town for 3 weeks, but loved it so much that I stayed for 3 years!

Life in 1947 was very very different than life today. We had a mixtures of boys, most of us from poor families, but we got on pretty well. some of those boys became life long friends.

After the Boys Town I went to a (Marist) Brothers' school and left at 16 years of age to take up an apprenticeship at the Government Printers in Hobart. And after a couple of years one of my workmates asked me: "Are you happy with work?"... As I wasn't particularly satisfied... I answered "NO" He said "Have you thought of being a priest?" And another definite "NO!" but that set the seed of vocation in my heart!

After trying to self educate I needed Latin and knocked (again) on the (Salesian) Boys Town door to get some assistance.

But it was with the firm idea in spite of greatly admiring the SDB vocation, that I somehow know I wished to stay on the beautiful island of Tasmania. So the journey towards priesthood began in 1955. Seminary years in Victoria were from 1958-65 and I was ordained by Archbishop Young on 23rd July 1965 in Hobart, Tasmania.

As Catholic priest, my great love has been with families all over Tasmania and my highest responsibility in the archdiocese was as Vicar General from 1994 to 1996. In that time there was a terrible massacre at Port Arthur and that was a very dark time in my life trying to cope with the aftermath. But no regrets.

Dear students! Listen to God! Listen to God who does speak through your teachers, parents and each other! Have great respect for all.

Yes, Dominic College students are fortunate to have a fine school community today, with 5 Salesians and almost hundred teachers and staff. I was grateful to be honoured today by the school community, but put all the praise to God. The generous gift has been most appreciated. Thank you so much.

20150828_AUL1.jpg

20150828_AUL2.jpg

20150828_AUL3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Dhanalakshmi 2016.03.28 20:18

Bosco old scholar shares their story when they are in this school. At that time facilites are not like which now have the students. Infect, pictures of both old and new school which clearly show the stroy of that time and current time. However, I'm looking  best site for writing services which must be within reasonable budget and have team of writers.

1. 3740(II)_Installation of the Rector & Novice Master

By Bro. Amilcar D’Silva SDB Fatumaca, Timor lestre, September 14, 2015 – The 14th of September 2015 is the feast day of the Triumph of the Cross and it also marked another important day for the community of Colégio Dom Bosco-Fatumaca; a day...
    Date2015.09.15 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1242 file
    Read More
  2. 3740(I)_Newly Instituted Lectors & Acolytes

By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Parañaque City, Philippines, September 14, 2015 — During the community mass on the evening of the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, Fr. Anthony Paul Bicomong, SDB, Provincial Superior of the FIN, institut...
    Date2015.09.15 Reply0 Views1642 file
    Read More
  3. 3739_Thanks to all the Salesian Family

By Sr. Teresia Furuki Ryoko, Mother General of SCJ I would like to greet you with affection of my heart to the whole Salesian Family. Our 16th General Chapter was held in the fullness of the Holy Spirit, was able to finish properly in the g...
    Date2015.09.15 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views27671 file
    Read More
  4. 3738_Seminar on the topic of Preventive System

By Fr. Monthon Gabriel, SDB Hua Hin, Thailand, September 13, 2015 - The commission of education of the THA province held a seminar focusing on the legacy of Don Bosco "the preventive system" for the core groups teachers and staff of Salesia...
    Date2015.09.13 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1460 file
    Read More
  5. 3737_146th Salesian Missionary Expedition - formation course

By Bro. Dat, SDB Rome, General House - The Orientation Course for 23 new missionaries of the 146th Salesian Missionary Expedition began on 2 September. The final act of the course, and its climax, will be in the Basilica of Mary Help of Chr...
    Date2015.09.12 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1522 file
    Read More
  6. 3736(III)_A forum on social media

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Manila, Philippines - Today, September 11, 2015, Friday, the FIN Province, with the cooperation of the Association of Major Religious Superiors in the Philippines (AMRSP) organized a FORUM ON THE RESPONSIBLE USE OF...
    Date2015.09.11 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1482 file
    Read More
  7. 3736(II)_The warmest Commonwealth Youth Games - Samoa 2015

By Fr. Pasileo, SDB Apia, Samoa, September 5-11 - This evening with the fifteen minutes long wonderful fireworks the Fifth Commonwealth Youth Games (under 20) in Apia, capital of Samoa, was concluded. Some 950 young athletes from 65 countri...
    Date2015.09.11 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1836 file
    Read More
  8. 3736(I)_Coetera Tolle: FIN’s Gift to Don Bosco

By Dcn. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB Pasig City, Philippines, August 30, 2015 - Don Bosco used the theater as a platform to build confidence in the young and also use it as a medium to showcase God's love for His people. As such, one of the high...
    Date2015.09.11 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1392 file
    Read More
  9. 3735_Road accident kills two students of DBYTC in Laos

By Bro. Carlo Bacalla, SDB Vientianne, Laos - 20 trainees of Electrical and Automechanic departments from Don Bosco Youth Training Center, Vientiane, Laos, going for industrial training last September 10 met a major accident. The bus driver...
    Date2015.09.11 CategoryTHA Reply1 Views1644 file
    Read More
  10. 3734_Prison is no nice place

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, sdb Henderson, Solomon Islands - George Kadau Oge, aged 28 years hails from Walande, South Malaita. He is presently working in the maintenance section at Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson, Solomon Islands. He ...
    Date2015.09.10 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views3694 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 539 Next
/ 539