Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 4598 Comment 2

20180513_FIS.jpg

FIS Drug Addiction Intervention Conference

By FIS Soc.Com

Cebu, the Philippines, 5 May 2018 -- The Philippine South Province (FIS) organized an activity entitled, #speaklife: Drug Addiction Intervention Conference held last May 5, 2018 at the Cebu - Don Bosco Technical College gymnasium. It was attended by some 100+ representatives of each Don Bosco settings from the Visayas and Mindanao area and as well as the youth leaders from the neighboring parishes.

The topics discussed were:

1. The latest information and statistics of the drug situation in the country given by Mr. Gary Lao of the Cebu City Office of Substance Abuse prevention (COSAP).

2. The nature and dynamics of drug addiction given by Dr. Emmanuel Hernani, a professor in Cebu Normal University.

3. The moral guidelines or parameters of the Church on drug addiction given by the Auxiliary Bishop Dennis Villarojo, DD.

4. Sharing of best practices in the community given by a representative of the community-based rehab program of Barangay Subangdaku, Mandaue, Cebu.

5. A spiritual reflection on drug addiction given by Fr. Philip Lazatin, SDB.

Archbishop Jose Palma, DD sent a message to the participants of the #speaklife conference through the DILAAB Foundation founder, Fr. Carmelo Diola. Here is the message:

“My dear priests, religious brothers and sisters, and all participants in this convention. greetings of peace!

Allow me to welcome all of you in this drug addiction intervention convention entitled #speaklife organized by the Salesians of St. John Bosco South province (Visayas and Mindanao) or FIS Province.

In this event, let me begin by these words taken from the “Common Declaration of Commitment on Church – Led CBRP or Community-Based Recovery Program, it is stated in the document the reality of drug addictions in the country, “We recognize that drug addiction in the Philippines has psycho-emotional and spiritual roots, driven by poverty and social factors. It is a chronic, relapsing brain disease to be managed for long haul. Social stigma merely aggravates the problem and turns a blind eye to our pressing need to belong and be connected. We discern with and stand in solidarity with other sectors to do something for drug dependents, their families, and communities we have gone beyond mere talk to do something for heaven’s sake. We have put out into the deep and have encountered the mystery of God’s love in the wounds of our fellow Filipinos. We are seeing lives being transformed, including our own. Our efforts work. There are standards and best practices. We go home bringing memories and modules to share.”

By this commitment, it is one way of showing to the world that the Church is not just a mere institution managed by men but is guided by God himself. For her mission is for the salvation of souls through living and preaching the Gospel, and for the protection of human dignity. Our fight is not just for those damaged and threatened by drug addictions but also all aspect of social injustices like poverty, unemployment, corruption, prostitution, child abuse,etc. We are also being reminded by the recent Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis, Gaudete et Exsultate, paragraph 42, “God is mysteriously present in the life of every person, in a way that he himself chooses, and we cannot exclude this by our presumed certainties. Even when someone’s life appears completely wrecked, even when we see it devastated by vices or addictions, God is present there. If we let ourselves be guided by the Spirit rather than our own preconceptions, we can and must try to find the Lord in every human life.”

Finally, may this convention can contribute in our efforts to address those devastated by drug addictions, and may we become God’s instruments of healing, unity, and forgiveness.”

The #speaklife conference was capped by the testimonies of two recovering drug dependents who emphasized that their biggest blessings are the volunteers of the community-based rehab who are not afraid of them but instead showed so much dedication helping them. Another point of emphasis was the revival of their relationship with God and the support of their families. Truly there is hope if we do some interventions that are tangible and lots of networking with other agencies.

The #speaklife conference was organized by the joint efforts of the Commission on Youth Ministry (CYM), Commission on Mission (CoM), Salesian Youth Movement (SYM), and the Social Communications (SocCom).

20180513_FIS1.jpg

20180513_FIS2.jpg

20180513_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • drans 2018.06.18 15:43

Speak Life

Defend Life

Love Life

Live Life

• DejanKulusevski 2021.07.14 23:03

I desire i found this write my essay website in advance! this would have saved me so many nerves and tears. After having bought several papers I used them as a reference for my different initiatives and you already know what? A quiet of them have been familiar from the first strive!

1. 4732(III)_Whispering the Gospel to the young people in Don Bosco Myitkyina

Myitkyina Vocation Training Center (2) By Fr. Victor Nawki, SDB Myitkyina, Myanma, 20 May 2018 -- Our small and dynamic community of Myitkyina is happy to share with the worldwide Salesian Family about the progress of our trainees. Already ...
    Date2018.05.21 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1120 file
    Read More
  2. 4732(II)_The pupils of Charity School raising their own fund for new pastoral center

By Tran Thi Huyen, SC Dalat, Vietnam, 19 May 2018 -- To respond to the invitation of Fr. Jos. Nguyen Chan Hung, SDB the Rector of the post-novitiate of Don Bosco Da Lat, Viet Nam for the building of the new pastoral center at Don Bosco Da L...
    Date2018.05.21 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views870 file
    Read More
  3. 4732(I)_Happy to live in Brother friendly provincial community

Interview with Bro. Ambrose By Our Own Correspondent Myitkyina, Myanma, 19 May 2018 -- What’s make you happy or what fills your heart with joy? During my stay in Myitkyina 24/7 with our boys in the VTC, especially when see their graduation,...
    Date2018.05.21 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1195 file
    Read More
  4. 4731_The art of evangelization through filmmaking

A 3-Day Seminar-Workshop on Filmmaking By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 19 May 2018 -- The FIN Commission on Social Communications in cooperation with the NEW JP2 Conference organized a three-day Seminar-Workshop on F...
    Date2018.05.19 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1440 file
    Read More
  5. 4730(I)_Provincial visitation 2018

Don Bosco Alafua By Cl. Eteutati Milo, SDB Alafua, Samoa, 13 May 2018 -- Annual canonical provincial’s visitation of our community Alafua Don Bosco happen this year between May 10-13, 2018. Fr. William Matthews officially opened his visitat...
    Date2018.05.18 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1658 file
    Read More
  6. 4729(IV)_We need to keep the awareness about Salesian Brother alive!

Interview with Bro. Philip Yoon By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 16 May 2018 -- Bro. Philip Yoon (first profession 1988) spent most of his Salesian life in four different Salesian schools (Gwangju high school, International Technical ...
    Date2018.05.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views927 file
    Read More
  7. 4729(III)_We pray for God to convert the hearts of the terrorist

Surabaya Catholic and Christian communities in prayer and forgiveness! By Fr. Lino Belo, SDB Surabaya, Jakarta, 14 May 2018 -- The SDB Delegation of Indonesia (ITM) is united with the whole Catholic and Christian community in prayers . This...
    Date2018.05.17 CategoryINA Reply0 Views819 file
    Read More
  8. 4729(II)_Pratical trainee renews the religious vows

Renewal of Religious Vows in PNG By Cl. Bernard Kaiau, SDB Kumgi, PNG, 13 May 2018 -- On Sunday the Feast of The Ascension of the Lord, Cl (=practical trainee, candidate to the priesthood) Bernard Kaiau SDB renewed his vows for three years ...
    Date2018.05.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views9377 file
    Read More
  9. 4729(I)_Servant of the young in the mission land - missionary deacon ordained in Argentina

Deacon ordination of Giuse Nguyễn Vũ Thanh Phương By ARS SC Team Buenos Aires, Argentina -- Last 28th April was celebrated the diaconal ordinations of three Salesians - Alexis Garro, Leonel Cánepa and Joseph Phuong Vu Thanh Nguyen, presided...
    Date2018.05.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views960 file
    Read More
  10. 4728(IV)_Youth at the Center of Salesian works in Darkhan

By Fr. Van Chinh, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 15 May 2018 -- In the week of making the strategic plan and other plans for the salesian works of Darkhan community, the Salesians resolved to put the youth from the age of 13 to 30 at the center of ...
    Date2018.05.16 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views720 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 ... 539 Next
/ 539