?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1915

The virtue of digital publishing

ROME: 1st August 2007 --  
Digital VirtuesDigital Virtues, 'Reflections, frameworks and practical matters for Institutes of Consecrated Life and their members', has now been professionally published.  Given that an earlier austraLasia (#1903) spoke broadly of the contents of this book, let me focus this time on the publishing process. It was a logical conclusion of the subject matter which looks at, amongst other things, Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). At one point, in the chapter on 'digital discernment', the author asks 'why do I do (digital activities) the way I do? Is it worth questioning the processes I use? Could I do things in a more human way?".

This work was written, print-prepared, and ultimately published with those questions in mind.  It was published by Lulu.com, and it may be of interest for readers to know that the entire publishing process did not cost the author a cent.  It did require a series of decisions about how to prepare the material.  By the time the text went 'to the printer' (online, as a simple upload in pdf format) it was structured and formatted in a professional way, but the software used was FOSS, so that cost nothing either.
    How does a publisher make money if it costs an author nothing to publish?  To begin with it is print on demand, and the print cost per page would be slightly higher than 'normal' publishing where a certain print-run is set initially.  Of course, in this online process, if the author wants a copy of his own book, he buys it!  At €10.15 for a 190 page, full colour cover, perfectly bound paperback, this is very reasonable, and in fact the author buys it for somewhat less than that amount.  Lulu takes a 20% commission out of the extra couple of euro added on to the print cost. Nobody loses!
    My guess is that Salesians, by and large, have not ventured into this kind of publishing, though it was a Salesian who put me on to the idea.  It is, in my view, both a possible and in some cases desirable way to publish - having seen situations where rooms full of unsold books raise a question mark about economics as well as other things.
    All that aside, should you want a copy of Digital Virtues, want to preview it online or at least see the table of contents, or should you know a religious community or individual who would benefit from it, it suffices to go to http://www.lulu.com/content/1021109 where you can order it or at the very least fossick around in there to read up about this useful publishing process. For some reason, the book and its publishing process has struck a chord in Latin America, where they have promised me a Spanish translation within a short time, and wish to make use of it within the context of the Red Informatica de la Iglesia America Latina.  I hope it gets a few English readers as well!

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1930 THA 1601_Thailand's ADMA - the Archconfraternity of Mary Help of Christians 496
1929 GIA 1602_Tokyo's 'most beautiful church' in need of a little repair 525
1928 ITM 1603_Timor watch: "We were always asking why...": but are things improving? 242
1927 PGS 1604_PNG-SI: We Journey together 478
1926 Pac. 1605_Samoan Salesian to be ordained deacon tomorrow 261
1925 PGS 1606_A call to greater fidelity - Discussion days in PNG 598
1924 Mongolia 1607_The Empire Strikes Back - 800 years after Genghis Khan 311
1923 FIS 1608_Fire in southern Philippines destroys 30 homes including part of Don Bosco Training Centre 468
1922 CIN 1609_H K Institute of Education to confrere Doctorate 'honoris causa' on Fr Peter Newbery 491
1921 PGS 1610_Consecrated the for the Mission 467
1920 India 1611_Serial blasts in Mumbai - Salesians safe 472
1919 ITM 1612_EXHORTATION - East Timor's Prime Minister recognises religion's and religious' roles 494
1918 VIE 1613_Vietnam ordinations Bishop De's first 345
1917 ITM 1614_East Timor - two newly professed offer hope in difficult times 301
1916 World 1615_Middle East Report - both sides of the border 273
1915 KOR 1616_Korean SDB pilgrims in Rome - RM's Good Night 447
1914 AUL 1617_Nanog - from the Chronicles of Narnia, or something far more significant? 279
1913 Mongolia 1618_Mongolia's Darkhan now has an official Catholic Church - Don Bosco Darkhan 285
1912 PGS 1619_Salesian visitors to Solomon Islands abound in July 3398
1911 AUL 1620_Young people, young journalists - for other young Australians 364
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 177 Next
/ 177