Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3099

Archbishop Savio Hon with Salesian Family, KOR
SEOUL: 12 July 2012 --  Archbishop Savio Hon, Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, who is visiting South Korea, met with the Salesian Family at the provincial house in Seoul, 12 July. As he has been in Korea four times during his period as provincial of the nearby China Province, he is very familiar with the Salesian Family in Korea. He also briefly passed through earlier this month on his way to Mongolia for celebrations for the 20th anniversary of the Church there. 

Although the main purpose of the trip to Far East was visiting its newest Church, his three day stay-over in Seoul has been a busy one, meeting Church officials and visiting various institutions. But he did not forget to make the Salesian Family happy by meeting with them and and sharing. More than 150 people from the Salesian Family groups in Seoul came to meet him:  SDB, FMA, SCG, VDB, SSCC.

"One time you were our neighbour in the Hong Kong province, now, your Excellency, you have responsibility for the missionary aspect of the Universal Church. We are very grateful for your visit and ask you to share the joy you have found in working to build the Kingdom throughout the whole Church”, Fr Stephen Nam, the provincial, said while introducing the Archbishop to everyone present.

The Archbishop spent an hour speaking with gratitude about his own vocational story,  the graces received from the Salesian Family, interspersing his account with humour. In particular, he spoke of his mission to bring the Lord's love to people, as Don Bosco did so passionately. "I received three Fs from the Salesian Congregation. The first is Faith. I was not a Catholic when I first went as a child to a Salesian School. My education there gave me the faith and baptism. And Formation: the Salesian system not only enabled me to achieve academic success, gaining my doctorate in Dogmatics, but it also taught me about true happiness in life, showed me the way to sanctity. And finally Fervour, by teaching me about passion. According to the Salesian Constitutions, we are the signs and bearers of God's love to our young people. Now I'm doing this for the world, to all peoples in the way my Salesian upbringing taught me." With these words he expressed his appreciation for the Salesian Family, and encouraged all participants to be proud of belonging to one or other group of the Salesian Family.

Speaking of the Chinese Church, Archbishop Hon asked his listeners to pray that right relationships may be restored between the Holy See and China. He also asked them to pray for Bishop Ma, recently ordained in Shanghai and suffering for the Church.

The Nuncio for Korea and Mongolia, Archbishop Osvaldo Padilla was present, and revealed his affection for the Salesian Family. He spoke of his own vocational story of the fact that h had once considered becoming an SDB when he was a student in the Philippines but his mother wanted him be a parish priest, and, well, his mother won out! Despite this, he confessed, he makes a point of visiting Salesian houses wherever he goes as Nuncio, and that list is now quite long: Panama, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Costa Rica and now, Korea.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2670 KOR 2917_Past Pupil Archbishop to visit North Korea 366
2669 RMG 0429_A RANGE OF FILES NOW AVAILABLE 367
2668 India 0460_SALESIAN RELIEF NETWORK: A LETTER FROM THE RELIEF CAMP 367
2667 RMG 0920_Availability of English language Salesian literature 367
2666 GIA 1101_Salesio Kosen: a new name amongst Tokyo's schools! 367
2665 KOR 1588_Brothers' Assembly presented with model of enthusiasm by Korean Brother Oh 367
2664 GIA 1651_Tokyo ordinations link Japan and Vietnam 367
2663 Pac. 2312_Double Salesian Family Celebrations in Samoa: SDB Ordination, FMA Final Profession - all in the family! 367
2662 KOR 1627_Korean and Filipino youth together in Victorias, Southern Philippines 368
2661 EAO 1752_Formation looms large in concluding sessions of EAO Provincials' meeting 368
2660 World 2330_Take the first step, talk to it - and be surprised! 368
2659 GIA 2457_In VIE a new Provincial; in GIA a province feast 368
2658 0064_Missing 369
2657 KOR 0680_ A LABOR OF (PASTORAL)LOVE 369
2656 India 1177_New Madras Archbishop speaks candidly of his hopes 369
2655 FIS 1350_One more! FIS: Fr Abundo Bacatan 369
2654 CIN 1442_Turin to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao and more: "It's much more important to have the fire" 369
2653 World 2368_Lenti volumes available for Asia, Oceania, Africa 369
2652 World 2647_Mary Help of Christians - the ADMA moment 369
2651 Indonesia 0465_A CIVIL AWARD FOR FR. JOSE CARBONELL SDB 370
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 177 Next
/ 177