NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
....AND THE HUNTER HOME FROM HILL

WAKEFIELD (UK): 19th October --  R.L. Stevenson fans would know those famous final lines of 'Tusitala', the great story-teller, in Samoa: 'Home is the sailor, Home from sea , And the hunter home from the hill'.  austraLasia' would like to tell you of another story-teller, and 'hunter home from the hill'.  Peter Hunter, Salesian Past Pupil from UK, is back from a worldwide jaunt, now available as a book: NO ONWARD TICKET.  Perhaps we should let Peter tell his own story in the bits and pieces below.
"I had always harboured a secret ambition to travel the world and as a past pupil of a Salesian School, I had began to recognise that I was a part of a world wide network of former pupils from schools associated with ‘The Salesians of Don Bosco’. So, I began planning a journey that would not only see me exploring the world's physical terrain but would also see me exploring real people in communities both large and small, rich and poor, with differing cultures and colours."
"The events of September 11th 2001 shocked the world. I know that security has closed the door for so many travellers but I believe that terrorist activities should not stop people from exploring our world. I am now determined more than ever to see the world and defy the hurdles that will be there (as a person of colour I feel this is especially relevant). Many of the people that I work with could never imagine this kind of journey and it is therefore important to come back and show them that their life can be a challenge of success, setting goals that can be achieved – even one so grand as this!"
Peter did more than keep a diary.  He met important people and ordinary people, reported at times for the BBC and for any media that were interested...and most were!  And in the course of a journey that took 222 days (not 80!) by land and sea except where it was necessary to fly, he found himself trapped on a burning ferry, left for dead after a road accident at night, feeling powerless to change grinding poverty that reduced him to tears, meeting the rich, the famous, the destitute and those without hope....this was Hunter's journey.
It took him over the Alps, the Andes, the Himalayas and the Rockies; across the Indian, Pacific and Atlantic oceans; it is a story of accidents, emotions, friendships and fun.  From the gas chambers in Auschwitz, to the suicide bombings in Jerusalem; the children in the gutters in Abbis Ababa to the terrorist bombings in Bali; the bushfires in Australia to 'fire' of another kind in Iraq, to SARS in Canada.  Peter saw it or the aftermath of it.  This is the story of an ordinary man making an extraordinary journey, exploring cultures and talking with people.  As a young Salesian pupil he must be an inspiration to many others of his kind.
Should you be interested in his book, why not go to http://www.huntersjourney.net and check it all out.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2670 MYM 3480_The now flourishing Vice Province of Myanmar 554
2669 KOR 3356_"When brothers agree ... " A timeless truth come true in KOR 554
2668 EAO 3223_EAO and the Help of Christians 554
2667 THA 3130_Asia-Oceania Past Pupils Congress - February 2013, Bangkok 554
2666 FIS 3011_News in brief 554
2665 FIN 2371_SFSW FIN 2009 - for 'translation' read on! 554
2664 World Lexisdb: Formation and Translation tool available0826_ 554
2663 PGS 0323_LISTEN TO THE SMALL SOFT VOICES! 554
2662 KOR 3419_Salesian Family gathers for spirituality and installation of new provincial 553
2661 MYM 2403_Prevalent virus forces MYM rethink 553
2660 CIN 3193_Chinese New Year - or Tet, or Seollal: there's an app for that! 552
2659 KOR 3181_Perpetual Professions and Priestly and Deaconate Ordinations 552
2658 MYM 3126_God keeps calling - Final Profession Bro. Mark in MYM 552
2657 PGS 3120_SYM Camp, DBTI Port Moresby 552
2656 PGS 2691_A decade on: culture on show at Don Bosco Technical Institute 552
2655 GIA 1804_News roundup (some of these items may be extended in the coming days) 552
2654 World 1592_A bit more animation 552
2653 PGS 1198_PNG/SI Retreat a refreshing and relaxing experience 552
2652 AUL Men from Then: fine lives of the Salesian Brother1154_ 552
2651 PGS 0734_THIN RED LINE DRAWN AT TETERE ONCE AGAIN 552
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 177 Next
/ 177