NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
....AND THE HUNTER HOME FROM HILL

WAKEFIELD (UK): 19th October --  R.L. Stevenson fans would know those famous final lines of 'Tusitala', the great story-teller, in Samoa: 'Home is the sailor, Home from sea , And the hunter home from the hill'.  austraLasia' would like to tell you of another story-teller, and 'hunter home from the hill'.  Peter Hunter, Salesian Past Pupil from UK, is back from a worldwide jaunt, now available as a book: NO ONWARD TICKET.  Perhaps we should let Peter tell his own story in the bits and pieces below.
"I had always harboured a secret ambition to travel the world and as a past pupil of a Salesian School, I had began to recognise that I was a part of a world wide network of former pupils from schools associated with ‘The Salesians of Don Bosco’. So, I began planning a journey that would not only see me exploring the world's physical terrain but would also see me exploring real people in communities both large and small, rich and poor, with differing cultures and colours."
"The events of September 11th 2001 shocked the world. I know that security has closed the door for so many travellers but I believe that terrorist activities should not stop people from exploring our world. I am now determined more than ever to see the world and defy the hurdles that will be there (as a person of colour I feel this is especially relevant). Many of the people that I work with could never imagine this kind of journey and it is therefore important to come back and show them that their life can be a challenge of success, setting goals that can be achieved – even one so grand as this!"
Peter did more than keep a diary.  He met important people and ordinary people, reported at times for the BBC and for any media that were interested...and most were!  And in the course of a journey that took 222 days (not 80!) by land and sea except where it was necessary to fly, he found himself trapped on a burning ferry, left for dead after a road accident at night, feeling powerless to change grinding poverty that reduced him to tears, meeting the rich, the famous, the destitute and those without hope....this was Hunter's journey.
It took him over the Alps, the Andes, the Himalayas and the Rockies; across the Indian, Pacific and Atlantic oceans; it is a story of accidents, emotions, friendships and fun.  From the gas chambers in Auschwitz, to the suicide bombings in Jerusalem; the children in the gutters in Abbis Ababa to the terrorist bombings in Bali; the bushfires in Australia to 'fire' of another kind in Iraq, to SARS in Canada.  Peter saw it or the aftermath of it.  This is the story of an ordinary man making an extraordinary journey, exploring cultures and talking with people.  As a young Salesian pupil he must be an inspiration to many others of his kind.
Should you be interested in his book, why not go to http://www.huntersjourney.net and check it all out.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2810 World 0721_First Film Festival Dedicated to a Saint 212
2809 PGS 0722_MUMBAI MISSIONARY FOR PNG 500
2808 World 0723_EVEN BISHOPS HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL! 1918
2807 EAO 0724_MISSIONARIES LINE UP FOR EAST ASIA-OCEANIA 606
2806 AUL 0725_KANGAROO TEACHES CORE TRUTH OF PREVENTIVE SYSTEM 175
2805 PGS 0726_GRASSROOTS MEDIA AWARENESS IN SOLOMONS 4243
2804 World 0727_'ST' JOHN PAUL I? SALESIAN PROCURATOR TO HELP 571
2803 World 0728_CDB: A LIGHT SHINES IN THE DARKNESS 563
2802 World 0729_FORD: "..tout á fais strict de l’église catholique" 571
2801 World 0730_LIBERIA: BEHIND THE ACRONYMS, THE ACRIMONY. 293