Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2016

BOSCONET goes Web 2.0, becomes a CMS - and simplifies

ROME: 30th December 2007 -- Bosconet, the oldest web site in the Congregation (1991), and now the East Asia-Oceania Region website has transformed, to keep up with fast-moving trends in the world wide web scene.  It needs to be known and acknowledged that although a 'regional' website, it is supported in every real sense by the Australia-Pacific province - server costs and webmaster alike! 
    Bosconet has been, for the past 15 years, what is known as 'Web 1.0', a one-way web site. 
    What you will see now, if you go to www.bosconet.aust.com is a bi-directional 'Web 2.0' site and a Content Management System or CMS. In simple terms this means that an individual may 'write' to the website, groups within the region may come into existence and maintain their own sections and, perhaps more importantly for most, navigation and searching is immensely improved. 
For the user, the latest change is dramatic - to look at and to work with.
    Allowing people to write anything on a website could court immediate disaster.  For a year the austraLasia comments page (a 'Boscowiki' as I called it) was totally open.  It was the only open page on the entire website.  For 99% of the time it did well, but every now and again it underwent major vandalism (today there are computers completely dedicated to the task of finding such 'open' pages and filling them with rubbish - or worse). Sometimes I had to clean that page up after cyber-vandalism and even entirely resurrect it.  But the plus side was that over a period of twelve months, many people in the region overcame their fear of 'writing' to a website, something that a few years ago would have been unthinkable.
    The 'old' Bosconet still exists and there are links to a number of its pages still, but you only see it when a link leads to it.  It will take some months to convert across to the new style.  Indeed, Bosconet-wiki, as we might now call it in its interim conversion, sits inside Bosconet, but presents as today's Bosconet.
    Can you write to it?  Theoretically yes, anyone, and practically yes - if you have a password. For obvious reasons I would want to protect most pages and structures from modification, but a group within the region (there are several lining up for this) may be given a 'Group' set of pages and can administer that for their own purposes (always connected to the building up of the Region or the Congregation). That group determines how those pages run and look, who modifies them, even who may read them.
    One page remains open to all austraLasia readers, though it will ask for a password.  Give it what it asks for! Give it 20eao02 (hopefully a memorable item, but it will be repeated on each news item). The only thing I ask is that you do not give this to non-readers of the e-letter. If they receive it by email, then they will have the means of entry, otherwise....no.  Should this simple approach fail for any reason, we will introduce a login system with individual username/pw.  For the moment let's keep it simple. (The same p/w should work for the 'sandbox' to practise in).
    The revamped Bosconet-wiki makes the updating tasks so much simpler.  I can do in seconds what it once took minutes or hours to do - and so can you.  It requires a very basic kind of markup (signs like '', ''', %, spaces between paragraphs) placed strategically, but the 'edit' page allows you to do most of this by clicking on buttons like in any word processor.  There are many CMS approaches out there, but I know of very few using wiki technology. Experience tells me that this is by far the simplest and most adaptable approach for our purposes.  If you have good reason to want to edit a particular page, other than the 'open' one referred to above, please ask at bosconet@gmail.com for a password. And please, if you find problems, or loopholes in security - let me know!
    Tomorrow -  a look at the last twelve months of austraLasia.  JBF

Click here to comment on this item. You will need to enter 20eao02 when asked for a password.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xml Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
538 World 0927_In/enculturation - a lighter moment: only read on if you have a sense of humour! 588
» World 2016_BOSCONET goes Web 2.0, becomes a CMS - and simplifies 587
536 World 0403_FORUM SYM 2000 - COLLE DON BOSCO 587
535 World 0648_NEW PROVINCIAL ANNOJNCED FOR SUO 587
534 World 2811_Happy (belated) Feast day! And other matters 587
533 World 2630_"Never seen a bigger change...in just 10 months" 587
532 World 3441_Papal Visit to Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum) 586
531 World 3474_GC27 unpacked 586
530 World 2563_Important events to conclude 150th 586
529 World 0800_LIVE LIFE! LIVE JESUS! LIVE LOVE! 585
528 World 0125_SPIRIT 'HOVERS OVER THE WATERS' OF OCEANIA 585
527 World 3106_Like rain drops: God's gifts in abundance 585
526 World 1370_Timely release of work on Mamma Margaret 583
525 World 0450_ SURPRISED BY YOUTH 583
524 World 1510_Old idea, new format - you may find it useful 582
523 World 1568_Cook's Tour of The Da Vinci Code 582
522 World 0175_Colombine High School 582
521 World 0689_MONROVIA, APPEAL BY VICAR GENERAL: "SEND PEACE CONTINGENT IMMEDIATELY!" 582
520 World 0998_BGVK: a Salesian modelling of Self-Help Groups to alleviate poverty and foster rural development 581
519 World 1355_From Palestine to Pakistan: building the City of Peace! 581
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 35 Next
/ 35