NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1740

Antarctica?  Which Salesian region does it belong to?

CYBERSPACE: 20th January 2007 -- It is arguable whether or not any Salesian has yet set foot in Antarctica. A few might have wanted to and a few have possibly been, metaphorically speaking, sent there! The Falkland Islands don't quite count.  Nor does Tasmania.  Anyway, the answer to the question as to which Salesian region it might belong to has already arrived - Western Europe!  Spain has made a kind of claim - you should really turn to ANS on sdb.org and read the piece on Edebits (most recent news item).  It is one of the cleverest tv cartoon series we've seen for a long time, put together by Edebé, the Spanish Salesian Publishers and eagerly lapped up by local TV.
    In brief, they have created a wonderful world of good and evil around Bet (Beth, for us) an eleven year girl living in Antarctica with her scientist parents. There is an intelligent computer wiz involved at the base, a couple of baddies in addition, but the real delight comes from the 'edebits' who belong to Bet's computer, conjured up by her, and her best friends in the fight against evil and world domination.  Here is evangelisation in a most acceptable form - almost as if you wouldn't notice it, but you do, at least subconsciously.  But, as I say, read up on the ANS description to get a little more, and should you be really, really interested, then here are two possibilities to follow up on.
    Did you know you can watch Spanish TV from your own computer, in fact TV from anywhere in the world?  You can find TVE, Spain, and providing you know when Edebits is on, you can watch it from there! (You can also find out when Edebits is on - it's up to you to do the time calculations, but Bet seems to have the morning slot when the kiddies are slurping their cornflakes [in Spain? I think not]).  Anyway, for an eyeopener, try wwitv.com and make your choices from there.
    The second possibility if you just want to find out all about Edebits, see the artwork and follow up some of the stories - I've put the pdf explanation on the 'what's new' section of Bosconet homepage. It's in Spanish, obviously, but you'll get the idea clearly enough even if you don't understand much Spanish.
    Expect a possible break in service over the next 10 days - I'm away preaching a retreat and not sure if the Retreat House (which is in another part of the world from Italy) has connections - possibly not. But at some stage I'll manage to get online - maybe through Antarctica! jbf

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com   Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.  To contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia