NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
DON BOSCO ALUMNI PRAISE CHRISTIAN EDUCATION RECEIVED

The once secular image of India is now a phantom of the past. Religious fundamentalism has reared its bigoted head and is spreading its tentacles further and deeper into the Indian psyche even as we take our first steps into the new century. 

Since December 1999, the attacks on Christians that once grabbed media attention are now relegated to little corners in Indian newspapers. Saffronisation of public life, history, politics, law and even the education system is being strategically misconstrued to appear as the only way to be patriotically Indian. Politics is transformed into the art of manipulating truth where deception and deceit is a culture, hatred is a weapon and fear is the key.

To speak out one s convictions in such a climate is to invite danger and social ostracism. Yet, four Hindu past-pupils of Don Bosco Schools have dared to do just this. They have shared their opinions in favour of the Christian education they had received at the hands of the Salesian Priests and Brothers. These interviews were published in the December issue of Communalism Combat, a magazine that, as its title suggest, stands out as a lone voice in defiance of the fanatical forces.

Says Mahesh Bhatt, an award winning director of films that are both entertaining and culturally inspiring: I do not think that I can ever de-link myself from the influence of my formative years spent in the cradle of that whole culture with the Salesian priests and to their commitment to the education system. The institution that they ran with caring and a deep sense of values, the grooming I got to grow into the kind of person that I am today all that is part of the unconscious, something that I carry wherever I go&.Through all my growing up years I never ever felt that a faith was being forced upon me. Christianity was never paraded, never imposed. There was not even the faintest such streak among the priests or teachers. This harmful propaganda (in our country) is petty paranoia on our part. 

In any case, if Jesus is injected into my consciousness it is not going to disempower me. There are many highs in Christianity that you can draw from. Jesus as a person had a unique way of looking at things. A life assertive outlook, compassion and conscience, who s appeal is not limited to Christians alone. Bosco s has contributed to my being what I am  and I am thankful for the teachers and fathers for being so caring, tolerant and patient with me. I was a troublesome boy, not easy to handle. I was an anti-power and anti authority kind of guy. But they showed me tolerance and compassion. 

Dr. Ram Chaddha, a spine surgeon in Mumbai says: What I appreciate the most about my Don Bosco School is that despite having a prominent shrine next to us through all our schooling days, a shrine that dominates the campus, I never ever felt that Christianity was in any way being imposed on me (I come from an Arya Samaji Hindu culture.). I feel very happy that I belonged to a school that had, and still has, a committed set of workers so utterly dedicated to education. For me, being a good human being is more important than being a Hindu or a Christian or a Muslim. I strongly feel that the way they developed my personality from an ordinary child, who probably may have had an inferiority complex elsewhere into an outgoing and confident person, was amazing. Hell! At 10 or 11 years, I was put up before an audience of 3,000, at the Shanmukhananda Hall, the largest auditorium in Bombay! I had to perform in front of the entire auditorium for almost three hours. If I could do that, I can face anybody in the world! 

Dr Ameet S. Patki, a gynecologist recounts his days at Bosco s: The school never once discriminated between us, we were all encouraged to bring out the best from within us. At the time, the staff was 70 per cent Christian and the long hours of dedication that these persons spent with us, training us after school hours, in gymnastics, elocution, in preparation for these huge mega shows. They dedication was amazing. We are all proud to say aloud that we are from Bosco s. They make  you into a complete person. We were each of us made to feel special. Those (in our country) who are casting these unwarranted aspersions on Christian institution should recognize this tremendous dedication and contribution, value it and learn from it. Persons of other faiths should pick this up, emulate from it. Why should you point fingers at the Christian institutions instead of learning from their outstanding example? 

Chartered Accountant, Dilip S. Bhatt speaks: What could be a better illustration of what Bosco s stands for than to imagine that even though I am a Hindu, I am the past pupils president of the school; I am on the provincial committee. I formed the national federation of Don Bosco Past Pupils and I am its national treasurer. Does this not show that this is not merely a Christian institution, it is an institution for everyo9ne? It brought us all together irrespective of caste, colour and creed. Some of our life-long mottos we learnt from here how to help others and help in the Bosco style, to empower the needy, to comfort the sick. When we follow what we have learnt, we not only repay the alma mater for their devotion but also contribute to society as a whole. 

I got married as per Vedic rights years ago. My marriage took place in Dakor, a Brahmin stronghold in Gujarat, with 95 per cent Brahmins. You will be surprised to hear how the marriage took place. Fr. Mariotta flew down from Switzerland to attend my marriage in Dakor; he came over there and after our marriage ceremony he blessed both of us in front of a very large crowd.  Not one person thought negatively about it. The whole town was thrilled. 

Jatin V. Paranjape, a cricketer who played in National and International tournaments testifies: What was instilled in me at Bosco s has stayed within me. Yes, Jatin you can play cricket and you can study as well - that is what the class teacher used to tell me. So apart from being in the team, I was also the class monitor, helping with other kinds of organizing and son on. Was Christianity imposed? This is laughable, farthest from the truth. We have a beautiful church here that is the landmark of the area, the city. It does not just belong to the school, but to all of us. It is part of our collective history. 

Quotes taken from Communalism Combat, December 2000