Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

'austraLasia' #608

Globalization the 'crossroads of educative charity': Vecchi

In a posthumous book, the deceased Rector Major of the Salesians takes on the challenge of globalization which has exacerbated the suffering of children and young people 

ROME: May 18 (VID)–"Globalization– The Crossroads of the Educative Charity"  is the title of a book (published by SEI), released after the death of its author Father Juan Edmundo Vecchi.

The volume is a collection of previously unpublished notes and reflections stemming from Father Vecchi in the final stages of his life. Vecchi was moved by a concern to leave the Salesians with a testament in favour of service to the young, whose physical and moral sufferings (as child soldiers, as victims of poverty, violence, and abuse), have been increased by globalization.

Vecchi's thoughts are bound to leave their mark on the Salesian mission and the presence of religious generally in society; a brief glance at the postscript offers an insight into his pages:

"I want to be unconformist in this global village which, while having positive values, knows little of homes or families: homes where one lives fraternally united as children of God; families bound by the obligation of the charity, the only obligation that can cover a multitude of sins. I want to be unconformist in the global village invented by the new economy , which again creates the ancient Epulonis who denies crumbs to the poor Lazarets.

"Globalization has brought the world into our homes, but I would like to bring something from our home to the World - that which Jesus has given to us in time, through the Church, that Don Bosco has conveyed to us by leaving us with an oratorian heart among young people, in every part of the globe… Being present in the world. As Salesians we have to give concreteness to our going against the tide: and the concreteness is educative charity.

"No" concludes Father Vecchi– to the globalization that creates injustice, emptiness, that destroys. "Yes" to the globalization that tries to respond to the deepest needs of mankind, of women, of children, of young boys, girls, of babies… "Am I too, part of the race of Don Quixotes, of prophets, who have not seen their dreams come true? Am I pointing the Salesian Family down impassible roads? I hope not, indeed I would like them to dream with me and to go with me into deep waters… "

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
118 World 0661_Blessed Artemides Zatti, religious 408
117 World 0657_Media at the Service of Authentic Peace 278
116 World 0654_POPE'S LENTEN MESSAGE 175
115 World 0649_NEW PROVINCIAL ANNOUNCED FOR NEW ROCHELLE PROVINCE 255
114 World 0648_NEW PROVINCIAL ANNOJNCED FOR SUO 587
113 World 0646_NEW BISHOP OF KABANGKALAN (PHILIPPINES) 384
112 World 0638_SOUTH AFRICA: MURDER OF FR. DECLAN COLLINS SDB CONFIRMED 631
111 World 0637_AUS: PASTORAL ANIMATION TEAM 284
110 World 0636_FURTHER TO THE MATERIAL ON THE SALESIAN 'BEATI' 281
109 World 0634_ADDITIONAL MATERIAL ON SALESIAN BEATI 195
108 World 0630_STRONG PAPAL REMINDER ON THE ROSARY 421
107 World 0626_Pope nominates parish youth centres as priority for Church 328
» World 0608_Globalization the 'crossroads of educative charity': Vecchi 216
105 World 0598_FR. JOSEPH SUREN GOMES SDB - THE BISHOP ELECT OF KRISHNAGAR DIOCESE 574
104 World 0595_Pope John Paul II beatified six Latin Americans 319
103 World 0594_PERSONAL TESTIMONY OF MIRACLE LEADING TO BEATIFICATION 609
102 World 0591_FIRST SALESIAN PRESENCE IN THE GULF REGION IS IN KUWAIT 344
101 World 0580_PALESTINE: SALESIAN REPORTED KILLED IS IN FACT VERY MUCH ALIVE 575
100 World 0568_YOUNG SALESIAN KILLED IN COLOMBIA; SALESIAN INJURED IN CONGO 503
99 World 0536_WARSAW: AN EXPERIENCE OF TRUE EDUCATIVE EFFECTIVENESS 239
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next
/ 35