Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

On drugs, radical change and "tasty steaks"

Luciano, Ambrose, Tanaka

HONIARA: 5th Feb -- 'Don Bosco' runs a small training center on the outskirts of Honiara, the small capital of the Solomon Islands. This beautiful agglomerate of islands lost in the Pacific were known until the violent ethnic war of last year as the "happy isles"

The Training center was established at the beginning of September at the height of the ethnic war. It was meant to give a message to the Solomon Islands, and particularly Honiara’s out of school youth lured by the "militancy and crime adventure", that there is a God who loves them and offers them a new chance to grow through the gift of Don Bosco’s kind of education.

All prisoners in the capital were released (because of the ethnic war, certainly not in the spirit of the Jubilee). 4 of them who began an auto-mechanics course in jail and 16 others young men were screened and selected to undergo a two years training program in the newly built facilities at Don Bosco Henderson, just outside Honiara, in front of the Airport.

During the Christmas break as I went around town looking for a "fresh steak" for our Christmas evening meal I happened to enter a butcher's shop. After choosing what seemed to be a good choice piece and paying a fair prize for the "Vanuatu special frozen delight", in the spirit of accountability I asked the butcher for a receipt. "What name will I put on the receipt?" the rather serious looking butcher asked me. Just Put "Don Bosco" I replied. At this point the butcher’s mood drastically brightened up. Not only did he give a good discount but he would not stop thanking me, "Don Bosco", for having made a great difference in the life of his son.

"My son was in all kinds of vices and used to engage in all sorts of street brawls… he would never help at home nor in the shop… now he stays at home, he is respectful, he helps us in the family, he stopped all vices and never missed his classes…he keeps talking about Don Bosco"

I never felt so good, I thanked him for the discount and asked him to thank God for the gift of Don Bosco whom I clarified was not me (but very much related, more than a close "wantok").

As I went home I checked on the "Test papers" of my "guidance class" to check on the butcher’s son's statements. They coincided perfectly with his father’s.

" I stopped all kinds of alcohol, drugs and brawls with opposing gangs.. my life has totally changed since I met Don Bosco and I am particularly grateful for the new life of hard work at school but at the same time full of peace, security and future dreams"

After five months with Don Bosco, students and staff have expressed their gratitude as we celebrated our family feast together around our founder and father after the morning Eucharist, quiz and fraternal sharing.

In the evening meal with the clergy and religious, one of the Marist teaching Brothers, who lost a good number of their cows in the recent ethnic war asked us where we bought such a tasty meat. Thank God he continued with an exhortation, without waiting for my answer, not to buy meat from "that" particular shop in town because of the suspicion they were selling "their stolen cows"

I will never thank Don Bosco enough for saving me from the embarrassment of having to answer that question…

We are now thinking about starting a course of "good Christians and Honest butcher fathers"…

The Honiara "Happy Isles" Community

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
219 PGS 2613_Episcopal news (x2) 622
218 PGS 2350_First Solomon Islander Salesian professed in PNG 618
217 PGS 2663_Don Bosco's got talent! 617
216 PGS 1751_In the land of the unexpected...... 617
215 PGS 3237_Short courses at Henderson 617
214 PGS 2356_Prayers requested for seriously injured Salesian 617
213 PGS 2892_Media Forum brings Digital Age Awareness 617
212 PGS 2616_DBTI Henderson looks to empowering women in school and workplace 616
211 PGS 0258_PIJIN JESUS FILM 614
210 PGS 2497_600 enjoy Oratory Day at Boroko 613
209 PGS 3071_DB Gabutu celebrates St Dominic Savio 611
208 PGS 1819_Prompt response by Don Bosco hailed in Solomon Island's national Daily 607
» PGS 0459_ On drugs, radical change and "tasty steaks" 605
206 PGS 2797_Shortland Islands: not 'the' statue, but a Don Bosco Statue procession, nevertheless! 602
205 PGS 1934_Michaelites welcomed to austraLasia list 600
204 PGS 2520_'Aussie Plate' causes more turbulence, but never fear - She is here! 598
203 PGS 1606_A call to greater fidelity - Discussion days in PNG 598
202 PGS 0618_DON BOSCO TECHNICAL INSTITUTE HENDERSON BLESSING AND INAUGURATION CEREMONY 597
201 PGS 1861_Pacific Media adopt Honiara Action Plan 596
200 PGS 0085_WELL-LOVED AUSTRALIAN SALESIAN DIES 595
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
/ 13