PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
This article appeared in the Solomon Star, Honiara.

“Don Bosco Henderson” evaluates its presence to be dynamically faithful. 
-          Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb

Saint John Bosco founded the Salesians in 1954 who since then run 5000 “DON BOSCO” educational Institutions in 130 countries including in the Solomon Islands for the past few months.

The students of Don Bosco Training Centre, Henderson are about to complete the first of the four modules, that commenced in September 2000 and will conclude in May 2001.  Successful candidates will then be admitted to the next module.  Automotive Mechanics, Welding and Fabrication, Agriculture, together with Communication Skills, Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Spiritual Guidance and Value Education have been dealt with in this first module. 

Don Bosco now welcomed the arrival of Fr. Stephen Fujikawa, Provincial of the Province of Japan and overall responsible for the Salesians in Japan and Solomon Islands.  He was accompanied by Fr. Aldo Cipriani sdb Provincial Economer, Fr. Orlando Puppo sdb, Provincial Vicar and Fr. Iida Tetsu sdb, Japanese Salesian Priest and electrical engineer who will join the team in Henderson. Together with the Solomon school staff they will evaluate the present educational and evangelization work and see if they have been true to the charism of the founder: Saint John Bosco.  In response to the many requests for application forms plans for further development will also be discussed.

“ It has been a powerful experience for me as I spend my quality time with the young men and accompany them in their process of growth.  I was deeply touched when one of them brought me a bunch of cabbage, fruit of his hard work from the plot he worked on with a sincere ‘thank you Father’. I look forward to the day when these young men  will be even more responsible persons in the sector of society in which they live in”, states Fr. Luciano Capelli sdb, Director of the project in Solomon Islands.  “We are hopeful that these youngsters will in turn, reach out to inspire others youth of their age, now, and their children in the future”.

“Our focus here at Don Bosco’s is on punctuality, dedication and hard work.  While every candidate is interested in all that Don Bosco has to offer, be it studies or extra-cultural activities, it calls for commitment and oneness of purpose to reach the completion of the entire programme”  comments Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb.  “The youngsters are talented and the capable of much.  Education is possible with parents and family members and hence we have visited the homes of every student.  We encourage parents and guardians to contribute to the growth of their child through constant dialogue between the staff of the institute. It’s marvelous to see the response and the growth of quite a few candidates”. 

Mr. Atu Balekana, the first Don Bosco collaborator in Solomon Islands has his heart with the boys.  He is pleased to see the results of the boys and what they are capable of.  Former teacher at SICHE, he believes that firmness and kindness are most necessary for the youngsters.  “I have joined Don Bosco, following an inspiration of the Lord, who called me to go cast my net out into the deep.  I am firmly convinced that Don Bosco must maintain its standard and each one of us must to work hard to achieve his objectives of building good Christians and honest citizens”.  He constantly encourages the youngsters to be aware of those who draw them away from their goal and their focus in life.  His constant presence in all the activities – study, work, games and music - of the boys is much appreciated.

“I have noticed a gradual change in the candidates over the past few months.  They are respectful, helpful and concerned about others”, is what Mr. Waisea Banivalu, in-charge of welding and fabrication has to say.  “At times, it could get discouraging and it does challenge me to work even more”.

True to its ideal of forming “Good Christians and Honest Citizens”, the Salesians and staff of Don Bosco are striving to give of their best to work for these out-of-school-youth, who have no possibility of further education.  “The process is slow and the road long, but we are planting seeds that will bear fruit in the years ahead” concludes Fr. Luciano Capelli.  “We are confident that our youngsters will grow up well and their children will live a much better style of life.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
19 PGS 0405_SOLOMONS CEASEFIRE: A NASTY WEEK FOR US 440
18 PGS 0409_PNG PRIME MINISTER VISITS DON BOSCO IN PORT MORESBY 436
17 PGS 0914_RM celebrates 25 years of Salesian presence in Samoa: 'I give thanks'. 436
16 PGS 1247_RM's final day in PNG: holy individuals, yes, but holy communities, please! 435
15 PGS 1503_When PNG's first Cooperator unit says it is 'recruiting' you'd better believe it! 435
14 PGS 2801_Solomon Islander renews profession as Salesian of Don Bosco 434
13 PGS 1699_Don Bosco Henderson (SI) graduates celebrate 432
12 PGS 1320_Continuing the tradition: missionary writes 'Children of the Fire' in appreciation and for preservation of an ancient culture 430
11 PGS 0348_TAKE-OVER IN SOLOMON ISLANDS 429
10 PGS 1259_Pacific Island Plan - what will the future hold? 423
9 PGS 1246_Open forum: RM and PNG aspirants 416
8 PGS 0353_SOLOMONS UPDATE. 414
7 PGS 2499_“So Bosconian, So Papua New Guinean!”: DBTS Gabutu 24th Foundation Day Celebrations: 411
6 PGS 1542_'Arigato, Tanaka san' for Rural Training Centre Tetere's first sack of rice 405
5 PGS 0640_Week end programmes for youth: some help from Aussie funding 403
4 PGS 0655_YOUTH LEADERSHIP SEMINAR 403
3 PGS 1236_What did you had when you had no hope of getting to WYD? Ask the Solomon Islands! 395
2 PGS 1415_Media - powerful means of communicating values in PNG 389
» PGS 0477_ “Don Bosco Henderson” evaluates its presence to be dynamically faithful. 377
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13