Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
Subject: 'austraLasia' #405
Date: Sunday, 13 August 2000 1:28 PM

SOLOMONS CEASEFIRE: A NASTY WEEK FOR US

Ambrose Pereira sdb  

HONIARA: 11th August(RPN)-- Spokesman for the MEF, Andrew Nori said that there was a breach of cease-fire conditions as an MEF member was killed west of Honiara on Tuesday.  Clouds of smoke could be seen rising into the sky as villages between Kakabona and Visale on North West Guadalcanal were raised to the ground during the next few days.  The Ceasefire council chairman Sir Peter Kenilorea has appealed to both sides to exercise restraint in the coming days.   A meeting held at the Tetere parish by the CMC brought together over 300 people including women, children and members of the Isatabu Freedom Movement.

Br. Tanaka, come into Honiara on Tuesday morning and went about purchasing food for the different villages.  On his way back, he was halted at Alligator creek and foodstuff amounting to SBD $ 18571.50 (approx US $ 3714.3) was off loaded.  Over a series of meetings during the past few days with many of the commanders here in Honiara, Br. Tanaka is very optimistic that everything will be returned.  

Thursday night around 10pm – I realized that the lines were dead.  The rattle of the gate and a bang on the door.  I woke up Br. Tanaka and then asked the unwelcome visitor what he wanted.  He demanded two vehicles.  I told him very politely that the vehicles are part of the project.  He promised to return armed and destroy the vehicles later that night.  We then alerted the neighbours who dialled several numbers.  The MEF – friends of Tanaka – came around 11pm, with an armed patrol.  We were at ease but slept little.  That has been the case these past several days.  

Thursday and Friday and our class room, hall and chapel had the youthful presence of over 45 students from Form 4 and Form 5 as they came over to Don Bosco Youth Centre for their day of retreat.  The programme entitled - “Youth in Search of Fulfilment” had a mix of talks, songs, sharing in groups, etc.  it commenced at 8.30am and concluded at 4.00pm.    it gave the students the possibility of looking into themselves reflect on their past and plan for the future.  All went away thankful and fired with the resolve to live fuller lives.  The DMI sisters did a good job of animating the discussions.  I must say that I am really pleased with their response.

Fr. Pedro has returned from his short holiday in Gizo and now awaits the possibility of a flight back to Japan.

Keep us and our work for youth in your prayers.