Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
Russell Islands celebrates World Youth Day, 2000

Ambrose Pereira

HONIARA: 30th August -- In an exceptional gathering of 160 youth between the ages of 15 to 25 years, Russell Islands celebrated the 15th World Youth Day, 2000, at Loun Island from 25th to 27th August, 2000.  Among the participants were 12 enthusiastic youngsters from Honiara, whose presence was very much welcomed and appreciated. 

“We need to help our young people to make good decisions in life, hence we have chosen topics that will help them – spirituality, health, family life, marriage life, problems of youth.  It is with this in mind that we set about organizing the Youth Rally”, stated Robert Ligomugu, organizer of the programme.  “Secondly, we join together with every youngster of the world as they celebrate the 15th World Youth Day in Rome.  We are hopeful that that every participant will take home a few relevant points and put them into practice”.

The enjoyable three fun filled days were a mixture of reflections, sharing, discussions, talks, prayers and entertainment.  The presentations were simple and direct and cleared up several misconceptions in the minds the young.  Philip Neri, in his talk on Moral Freedom, stressed that every person needs to take responsibility for every action.   Stephen Larry, from Yandiana in a very lively and jovial way made known to the participants the possibility of STI, if they choose a promiscuous lifestyle.  Chris Ahikau from Honiara, stressed the sacredness of marriage, the need to be faithful to each other, thus giving stability to the family.  Albert Lovitan from Loun, dealt with Family Life Issues.  Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb, led the participants in lively prayer as well as animated them in Youth Spirituality and the problems they face as they move along through life.

“This Youth Rally has given me a clearer understanding of myself and the stage I am at” was the comment of Florence Akwai a Youth for Christ member from Honiara.  “It challenges us, young people to carry on and never give up, as well as encourages us to share what we have gained with others”, stated Joe Fiuga  a participant from Yandina.  “I have enjoyed the programme and hope my sharing will help other youth” stated Lilian Ohoau, a student of finance.

Every one had a part to play – the mothers took complete charge of the cooking and were happy to be of service while their children participated in the programme.  The fathers saw to travel and accomodation arrangements.  The entire programme was financed by the Communities of Russell Islands.  Badley Vaurou, Chairman of the community was delighted that they could get all involved in the organization of the Youth Rally.  He thanked all and praised the organizers and the youth at their participation and involvement in the programme. 

A - SI - 80 - Russell Islands celebrates World Youth Day