Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 756

SOLOMON ISLANDS: DON BOSCO'S FIRST GRADUATES

HONIARA: 22nd November '03 -   For Salesian South and West Pacific nations, amongst the newest stars in the Salesian galaxy, it is 'first graduation' time.  Last Thursday night, November 19th, Don Bosco Henderson held a "touching, extraordinary and meaningful" graduation (SI national "Solomon Star" feature article). Six young people graduated from a three year course and eighteen from a one year course. They all passed the government test for Employment at the basic and intermediate level. After three year's employment they will qualify for the professional certificate. It does not happen very often that an entire batch of applicants passes the employment test 'bene probatus' (not an SI term obviously!). All graduates have been school push-outs. Patrick Stenson, the recipient of the achievement award verbalized the feelings of all graduates: "Before coming to Don Bosco my life had no goals, I felt lost and hopeless and I did not know what to do with my life. Now I feel proud of my education and achievements and I have a dream to fulfill in my life: Don Bosco's dreams are expressed in our motto: "Born for greater things".
The  Permanent Secretary of education Dr. Dereck Sikua, the guest of honor, promised the country on air to build four more centers like Don Bosco in the country because this is what the country needs most: the training of skilled workers at the basic and intermediate level.  Archbishop Adrian Smith recalled the history of his calling the Salesians and expressed great satisfaction about the presence of Don Bosco in Henderson and Tetere. He challenged the students and Don Bosco to 'dream like Don Bosco would' (That was in fact the theme of the celebration)
A good number of young people expressed their gratitude to Don Bosco by embracing the school Rector after receiving their diploma from the Permanent Secretary of Education. This is not a typical Melanesian response but certainly spontaneous and heartfelt.
All signs seem to indicate, rather powerfully, that this is the 'Kairos' of the Salesian presence in Solomon Islands. We consider ourselves blessed to be the community chosen to witness these events of grace and we are glad to proclaim this message to the whole Salesian world.
Luciano Capelli SDB

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
79 PGS 2644_Joy for today, hope for the future: Vicuna Hostel opens on St Mary Mazzarello's Feast day 520
78 PGS 2645_PNG: Salesian Sisters move step further to Girls Dorm for DBTI 523
77 PGS 2653_Solemn opening of Salesian Pastoral Centre Hamamatsu 521
76 PGS 2663_Don Bosco's got talent! 617
75 PGS 2665_Ultralight evangelisation - or the flying bishop! 575
74 PGS 2675_Welcome to the new Salesian Coadjutor Archbishop of Rabaul 579
73 PGS 2691_A decade on: culture on show at Don Bosco Technical Institute 552
72 PGS 2730_Media students celebrate 2010 achievements 580
71 PGS 2759_We carry forth your flame 1731
70 PGS 2762_Salesian Samoa's unique act of charity 583
69 PGS 2789_Dirty Hands, but clean heart’ 524
68 PGS 2797_Shortland Islands: not 'the' statue, but a Don Bosco Statue procession, nevertheless! 602
67 PGS 2801_Solomon Islander renews profession as Salesian of Don Bosco 434
66 PGS 2816_Wokabaut Wantaim 2011 931
65 PGS 2824_Sports: invaluable in the lives of the young 521
64 PGS 2828_Bosconian enjoyment in the Lenten Season 492
63 PGS 2829_Hard work needed for success 589
62 PGS 2837_The Digital Image – helping young minds share 540
61 PGS 2839_Don Bosco PNG-SI: Principals’ Meeting 2011 2433
60 PGS 2843_'Rot bilong Kruse' for a cause 564
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13