Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
YOUTH LEADERSHIP SEMINAR
- Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb

HONIARA: 26th Feb -- 24 youngsters completed the Youth Leadership Seminar, held at the Don Bosco House of Prayer, Kola Ridge from 11th to 14th February, 2003.  The participants from the different villages of Christ the King Parish, Tetere were also joined by two youth leaders from Holy Cross parish, Honiara and two from St. Michaels parish AvuAvu. They were also happy to welcome two from other faiths.

Participants had the opportunity to share and present their ideas in small groups as well as in the large groups sessions.  Value based movies at the end of the day helped highlight the need for dedication and commitment.  “The seminar was well organized with discussions, inputs and sharing and no waste of time” stated Timothy Toba from Sali.  “I realize that Youth ministry is a call and a vocation and that I need to follow in the footsteps of the Good Shepherd always” said John Vaiula,  while Margaret Tuke, was happy to share, learn and understand what the other youth leaders thing and feel.

The seminar also dealt with the insecurity of youngsters and the need for support and guidance from youth, community and parish animators.  Stress was also laid on the fact that as leaders they convey powerful messages by word and example.  “I have learnt more about relationships, planning and the fact that we as leaders need to be examples” stated Alfred Loe, from Tururana.   “The seven dimensions of Youth Ministry gave me new insights into leadership,” stated James Peresini, Sali.  Participants were also able to evaluate the youth group activities and plan possible programme for the coming six months. “With new ideas and insights, I am challenged to go out and share”, said Christopher D from Tetere.   The situation in The Solomons at the present time is unsteady and realizing this they have discussed a six month plan that includes formation of the youth members and reach out programmes.  

The seminar was organized by the Salesians of Don Bosco and opened up possible avenues of leadership.  It also enabled the participants be aware of the media and its role in their lives.  Visits to the Solomon Star and the SIBC were very much appreciated.  “Sr. Magdalene DMI worked very hard to see that we had very delicious and tasty meals”, said Anna Manekiki from Talaura as she voiced the sentiments of several of the participants.  The Youth Leadership Seminar was made possible by Oxfam Australia and the Salesians of Don Bosco.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
259 PGS 0477_ “Don Bosco Henderson” evaluates its presence to be dynamically faithful. 377
258 PGS 1415_Media - powerful means of communicating values in PNG 389
257 PGS 1236_What did you had when you had no hope of getting to WYD? Ask the Solomon Islands! 395
256 PGS 0640_Week end programmes for youth: some help from Aussie funding 403
» PGS 0655_YOUTH LEADERSHIP SEMINAR 403
254 PGS 1542_'Arigato, Tanaka san' for Rural Training Centre Tetere's first sack of rice 405
253 PGS 2499_“So Bosconian, So Papua New Guinean!”: DBTS Gabutu 24th Foundation Day Celebrations: 411
252 PGS 0353_SOLOMONS UPDATE. 414
251 PGS 1246_Open forum: RM and PNG aspirants 416
250 PGS 1259_Pacific Island Plan - what will the future hold? 423
249 PGS 0348_TAKE-OVER IN SOLOMON ISLANDS 429
248 PGS 1320_Continuing the tradition: missionary writes 'Children of the Fire' in appreciation and for preservation of an ancient culture 430
247 PGS 1699_Don Bosco Henderson (SI) graduates celebrate 432
246 PGS 2801_Solomon Islander renews profession as Salesian of Don Bosco 434
245 PGS 1247_RM's final day in PNG: holy individuals, yes, but holy communities, please! 435
244 PGS 1503_When PNG's first Cooperator unit says it is 'recruiting' you'd better believe it! 435
243 PGS 0409_PNG PRIME MINISTER VISITS DON BOSCO IN PORT MORESBY 436
242 PGS 0914_RM celebrates 25 years of Salesian presence in Samoa: 'I give thanks'. 436
241 PGS 0405_SOLOMONS CEASEFIRE: A NASTY WEEK FOR US 440
240 PGS 2998_Female Prisoners learn useful computer skills 441
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
/ 13