Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1718

Resuming transmission! Don Bosco in Japanese

TOKYO: 27th December 2006 --  austraLasia took a week's break for both practical  (out of touch with internet connections) and spiritual (in touch with the 'silent night, holy night') reasons.  But now it's back to business!
    Last number (#1717) we noted that Korea had gone about producing a Korean version of the 2004 production of 'Don Bosco'. Worth noting that this was done through official channels, working with the educational broadcasting unit in Seoul and not produced in DVD format.  Now comes news that Japan has taken a similar step, the fruit of collaboration amongst Salesians, laity and first rate professional Japanese 'dubbers', but this time in video and DVD formats. The basic translation was done by Fr Michael Shinjiiro Urata SDB, a young researcher on Don Bosco in Japan.  Through the tough process of dubbing, these non-Christian professional dubbers came to know who Don Bosco is and, moreover, were inspired and encouraged by his life though they had known nothing of him until involvement in this work.  As one said: ' I could learn a great deal from him'.
    Several impressions of the film were gathered and published on the Japan Province website after its release:
    'I have not known much about Don Bosco, but now I know him much better than before.  We were so moved by his sincere and ardent attitudes towards his aims for the young. It was much more effective than hard-to-read words' (a housewife).
    'The most powerful message for young people who face many problems in today's society, must be "You are not alone. God is always with you". This film conveys it straight' (A female Religious).
    'I was so inspired that there was a man who has risked his life for abandoned youth' (a college student).
    'I came to know that real love needs strength.  It was very impressive and unforgettable when Don Bosco faced his weakness and limits; he asked openly and simply for help from God' (a female office worker).
    'I gained a fine impression and much encouragement from Don Calosso saying: "Since God is our Father, there is no orphan on this earth".  I believe this film goes beyond the limits of the Salesians to reach all people and brings a vivid and simple message of the Christian faith'. (a priest).
    Naturally, people elsewhere keep asking - and the English edition...when will that be coming?  It is worth repeating that this film was produced outside the Salesian ambit (by RAI with Lux Vide) and all arrangements for further work, be it dubbing or translation into other languages is taken up directly with the production company by those groups/provinces/regions after entering into direct negotiation with the company, and undoubtedly at cost. There are now several translations into European and Asian languages.  English is still lacking.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com   Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.  To contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
77 GIA 1670_50 years celebrates more than a church in Tokyo-Shimoigusa 479
76 GIA 0482_Salesian Mission dream of the Japan Province 478
75 GIA 2337_Installation of new provincial for Japan 474
74 GIA 3132_Japan's Catholic Life reaches its 1000th edition 473
73 GIA 2921_Japan: 6 months later, a sombre memory, then celebration.... 472
72 GIA 0932_Salesian Family Day for RM in Japan 471
71 GIA 1382_A tale of six Bishops 469
70 GIA 2715_Work and temperance - and 74 years a missionary in Japan 468
69 GIA 2806_Don Bosco, welcome back! 467
68 GIA 0805_JAPAN MEETING CONCLUDES WITH A TOUR OF TOKYO SALESIAN PLACES 466
67 GIA 1795_Japan launches cosmetic line after Artemides Zatti! 465
» GIA 1718_Resuming transmission! Don Bosco in Japanese 464
65 GIA 2526_Salesian Mission Day and DBVG reporting day 461
64 GIA 1412_Mamma Margaret in Japanese edition for Don Bosco's Feast day, and also in Vietnamese 461
63 GIA 2846_Letter from Fr Gaetano Compri, Japan 459
62 GIA 0937_The Rector Major amongst the Caritas Sisters of Miyazaki - and at Miyazaki 456
61 GIA 0939_RM's final hours in Japan: 'The best Church history written by missionaries!' 456
60 GIA 2635_SCJ Provincial Chapter, Japan 456
59 GIA 2232_Japan Province Vocation Camp 2008 454
58 GIA 3015_Salesian Spirituality Days in Japan 454
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
/ 8