NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2116

'I seek no fulfilment; I seek the Lord': an example of 'Da Mihi Animas' till the last breath

CEBU: 3rd April 2008 -- Sometimes it takes a simple example of those who live out what 230 people are trying to encapsulate in so many words back in Rome. Yesterday was the Feast of Blessed Pedro Calungsod, Cebu's martyr and, incidentally, the St Dominic Savio's birthday.  But it was also the day that Bro Bernard (Berns) Villasanta sdb breathed his last in the presence of his brother, Fr Patrick Villasanta and his Rector, Fr Jhun Paradiang, after 22 years, more or less of suffering since a diving accident when he was a practical trainee at Don Bosco Technical College.  
    Bro Berns, as he was universally known, lived his Salesian life from then on in a wheelchair, the next 22 years seeing a gradual failure of vital body organs until his heart gave out yesterday.  But his smile never gave out, and this writer witnessed that on a visit to Cebu Boys Home Lilo-an last year.  Bro Berns was a model of Salesian assistance around anything that could be called the ground floor, unable as he was to get up to higher levels.  The higher level he occupied, however, was that of a holy life.
    When his brother Patrick went through his diary yesterday, he found any number of comments from Bro Berns on the experience he had to live for 24 years or so after becoming a paraplegic; years that saw him frequently confined to hospital.  Comments include the following: 
    In essence I seek no fulfilment - I seek the Lord.  The experience of a hospital confinement may be likened to crossing the Red Sea.
    It is a 'passover' in God's mysterious way.  In Jesus' name it is a Pascha Mystery, a sharing in Jesus' sacred passion.  Pope John Paul II 
    calls it 'Salvific Doloris', a suffering that redeems. "For in our flesh we complete what is lacking in Christ's affliction for the sake of
    his Body, the Church (Col 1:24).

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2008 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2116
Subject and key words: EAO Provinces THA Thailand Tsunami anniversary
Date (year): 2008
ID: 2000-2099|2116

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
40 FIS 1284_"Bus sent by Providence", says Fr Zago, Superior of Pakistan mission 423
39 FIS 1495_Don Bosco celebrates 50 years in Pakistan! 421
38 FIS 1463_Don Bosco in Pakistan: Education of the heart makes the difference 418
37 FIS 1759_Cebu Cardinal Vidal joins Lourdes Parish 50th celebrations 418
36 FIS 1962_austraLasia tells its story - as it celebrates 10 years near its birthplace 414
35 FIS 1964_Cebu City's DB Technology Centre's first - and very successful - Engineering graduates 408
34 FIS 2429_Stories of hope from Pakistan.... 406
33 FIS 1356_Pakistani postulants prepared through action 400
32 FIS 1836_5 new Salesians make their first profession in Cebu 400
31 FIS 2007_Amidst the ordinations - a Colourful Brother's Silver Jubilee 397
30 FIS 2746_"I am a Brother: yesterday, today and forever" 393
29 FIS 1018_Lahore: "The most beautiful initiative for the poor young people of our diocese" 392
28 FIS 1332_Quetta volunteers lucky to survive bus mishap 391
» FIS 2116_'I seek no fulfilment; I seek the Lord': an example of 'Da Mihi Animas' till the last breath 387
26 FIS 2698_Pakistan's floods and us 382
25 FIS 1693_'Mamma Margaret Model for the Salesian Family' - example from FIS 380
24 FIS 1208_Lahore's 'frenzied summer', but all's well that ends well. 379
23 FIS 1888_Cebu will host Social Communications Delegates and ANS correspondents in October 377
22 FIS 1421_Don Bosco CLAY, Cebu - a vision for 2006 374
21 FIS 1248_Nestlé: a sour note for Salesian boys in Lahore 371
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
/ 6