Mandaluyong City, Philippines, 9 January 2016 - The Salesian Society of St. John Bosco (Philippine-North Province) through its Commission on Social Communications, held its Second Don Bosco Film Festival Awarding Ceremony last January 9, 2016 at the St. Dominic Savio Auditorium in Don Bosco Technical College, Mandaluyong City.
The theme for this year’s film festival was: St. John Bosco, to the Poor and Marginalized Youth. In the Spirit of the Year of the Poor and the Year of the Consecrated Life, the theme wanted to express how St. John Bosco continuous to be actively involved in the Church and in Society now as when he was alive two hundred years ago, especially in uplifting the plight of the poor and marginalized youth.
There were three major categories: 1-Minute Advertisement, 10-Minute Documentary Film, and 20-Minute Short Film.
This festival encourages young people who are inclined in making films to create good stories that are rich in Human, Christian, and Bosconian Values. Kuya Kim Atienza, in his Keynote Address, reminded these young film makers to use their talents in inspiring their viewers in living a life that is rich in values.
Six Don Bosco settings joined this year’s festival: Don Bosco Technical Institute (Tarlac), Don Bosco Academy (Pampanga), Don Bosco Technical College (Mandaluyong), Don Bosco Technical Institute (Makati), Don Bosco Youth Center (Tondo), and Don Bosco College (Canlubang).
The Board of Judges brought prestige, honor, and credibility to the festival as a whole. They were: TV/Film Director Mark Meily, Film Director Kip Oebanda, CSB Multi-Media Professor Ferdinand Gonzaga, and Sound Director and Trainor Arnold Reodica.
Below is the list of winners in this 2nd Don Bosco Film Festival:
- BEST IN EDITING - WE ARE ONE WITH MARY, DBTI Tarlac
- BEST DIRECTOR - MICHAEL MEDRANO, We Are One With Mary, DBTI Tarlac
- BEST ONE-MINUTE AD - WE ARE ONE WITH MARY, DBTI Tarlac
- BEST DOCUMENTARY FILM - KUYA IDOL, DBTC Mandaluyong
- BEST IN EDITING - HUWAG KANG MANGAMBA, DBYC Tondo Manila
- BEST IN LIGHTS AND SOUND - NING, DBA Mabalacat, Pampanga
- BEST IN CINEMATOGRAPHY - MALAS, DBTC Mandaluyong City and TARA, DBTI Tarlac City
- BEST IN VISUAL EFFECTS - OUTBOX, DBC Canlubang, Laguna
- BEST PERFORMER - ERNESTO MANDING, Malas and DHEN CERVANTES, Huwag Kang Mangamba
- BEST SCREENPLAY - HUWAG KANG MANGAMBA, DBYC Tondo Manila
- BEST DIRECTOR - JOHN CELESTINO MIGUEL, Huwag Kang Mangamba
- BEST PICTURE - HUWAG KANG MANGAMBA, DBYC Tondo Manila
Adding life and beauty to the event were the inspiring song numbers of Mr. Migz Ramirez and Ms. Rhina Palma-Cruz; and the ballet dance performance of Ms. Lyka Gonzaga.
This festival was made possible through the generous support of its major sponsors: The Philippine Star, Don Bosco Press, Inc., Don Bosco Technical College, FTSY Foundation, Inc., SM Foundation, Inc., Wild Sound, Inc., Word and Life, Inc., Highlands Corned Beef, Yuujin Japanese Cusine, David’s Salon, and Magnolia Chicken.
Congratulations to all the nominees and to all the winners!!!