Open sharing with the young on YouTube
Wisma Don Bosco, Jakarta - Indonesia, 8 May 2020 -- On the official YouTube channel of the Indonesia Viceprovince (INA) of St Aloysius Versiglia, you can find two open sharings so far, with questions and answers. The initiative and effort of this Salesian encounter with young people online is attributed to the initiative of Cl. Paulus Batanoa (aka ‘Noce’ - a young missionary in PGS viceprovince, in transfer for his theological studies) who brought this project to maturity during his quarantine period. Thanks to support of Fr Peter Tukan (Indonesia viceprovince SC delegate) who provided support with his time, energy and the small ‘mini studio’ for recording, this project took off. And of course, the formation community of the postnovitiate (Rector Fr Vincent Prastowo) was happy to realize this project.
The questions from the young people were collected through Instagram on the "Omk_indonesia” (OMK – Orang Muda Katholik = Catholic Youth of Indonesi), currently with approximately 75,000 followers. Then the questions were answered through the ‘panel’ sharing with Indonesian Salesians – Brothers (Bruder), Candidates to the priesthood (Frater) and Priests (Pastor).
Here are some of the questions that arise from young people and are answered so far on the two YouTube videos (April 28 and May 2):
- I want to enter the seminary, but I still have to finish my college studies. What could you advise me?
- Is adultery a sin that can be forgiven?
- Can a canonical investigation be carried out during this pandemic?
- What is the most difficult thing to feel when discerning a vocation?
- How to overcome temptation, so as not to fall in love with another woman, since I have already one?
- How do men and women religious overcome their temptations with chastity?
You may wonder what the responses of the Salesians were, both young men in formation and their formators. Two 10 minute videos are online in Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia). What matters, though, is that through the pandemic times our confreres are trying to find new ways to listen and keep the dialogue with the young people going.
- Open panel to answer the youth questions(Part I - April 28)
- Open panel to answer the youth questions(Part II - May 2)
- Salesian Indonesia - INA Viceprovince oficial YouTube channel
- Salesian Indonesia - Vocation promotion (April 22)
- Salesian Global Solidarity response to Covid19 (sharing of experience and materials, INA included)