austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20151216_PNG-SI.jpg

By Fr. Stefano Yu, SDB

Honiara, Solomon Islands, December 12, 2015 - Saturday saw Don Bosco Technical Institute-Henderson all set for closing of the academic year, but with great excitement.

The day began with Carol Singing Competition with each class presenting one or more carols in a creative way. Each class was allotted 8 minutes of performing time. It was surprising that most of the carols were in the local languages. We had an international group of judges: Ms. Camari the former Principal, Mrs. Isabel Hill, a Filipina married to a New Zealander and working in the Solomon Islands, and Miss Louise Quan, who just landed the previous day from Canberra where she is studying in the National University of Australia. The criterion for the judges were time-limit, melody, costumes & effect, Christmas message.

The melodious voices of the ladies of the Senior Life Skills won the first prize, while the action-packed performance of the Senior MFM won the 2nd prize and the Junior Automotives’ carols accompanied by dance won the 3rd prize. While the judges were busy adding up the points the Boarders of Rua Haus had the 3 wise men from the east visit DBTI, and traditional Christmas carols with superb dancing. They stole the show though had no prizes.

The Recognition program began at 10.00 am with Mrs. Ethel Sigimanu (Permanent Secretary of the Ministry for Women, Youth, Children and Family Affairs) as the Chief Guest. She was glad to be present since her Ministry was very much interested in whatever and wherever youth found creativivity. She distributed Certificates and Prizes to the best in each class in the Technology subjects, Academic subjects, the one who made most progress during the year and those who neve missed a class during the year. And finally, certificates were given to those of the 2nd year who successfully completed the SALT (Servanthood and Leadership Training) program which had 3 components: (i) overnight animation program (ii) a minimum of 12 hours of service to the community during weekends or holidays (iii) keeping a logbook recording the type of work done, place and time, attested by the Class patron or the community leader, and recording their most significant human experiences and their reflections on the experience.

Each class collected their Christmas cake and proceeded to their classrooms to share their cake and to collect their transcripts of the year.

20151216_PNG-SI1.jpg

20151216_PNG-SI2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 3870(II)_Salesian Spiritual Day 2016 – Say YES to the Holy Spirit 0

2. 3870(I)_Salesian Seminarian Winter School 2016 0

3. 3869(III)_Cambodian Delegation Planning 0

4. 3869(II)_Another great New Year gift for Mongolia from Vietnam 0

5. 3869(I)_The Missionary Animation at Sri Lanka Aspirantate 0

6. 3868_Annual Concert of the Salesian Polytechnic, Machida City, Tokyo 0

7. 3867_The 2nd Don Bosco Film Festival 2016 0

8. 3866_20th Ongoing Formation course in missionary ministry - UPS 0

9. 3865(II)_'Father, send me anywhere as a gift to Don Bosco!' 0

10. 3865(I)_St. Versiglia in Union of prayer with the Carmelite in Florence 2

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ... 537 Next
/ 537