Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2016.02.29 11:02

3920(II)_Who is He?

Views 890 Comment 0

20160229_FIN.jpg

A reflection on weekend apostolate

By Prenovice John Paolo Romero

Canlubang, Philippines, 28 February 2016 - What follows is a reflection on weekend apostolate of John Paolo Romero on his weekend apostolate. Paolo is a prenovice of Don Bosco Seminary in Canlubang, Laguna.

My classmates and I were formally accepted as prenovices of the Philippine North Province (FIN) of the Salesians of Don Bosco (SDB). I see my being a prenovice as both a privilege and a grace from God because of my unworthiness. But this feeling of unworthiness makes me more reliant to God’s grace and providence.

As prenovices, we are sent to different Salesian Parishes every weekend to extend our help and to have exposure in the Salesian apostolate. I was assigned in St. Dominic Savio Parish in Mandaluyong together with Prenovice Romnick. The Don Bosco Youth Center in the parish is very dynamic that I got a bit of culture shock when I first arrived there. But this did not hinder me to express my love to the young people, and to experience the love of God through them as well. This desire manifests itself through my different experiences, both the good and not-so-good.

A 10-year old boy in St. Dominic Savio Parish, Dominic, who is also called, ‘the notorious,’ asked me a seemingly simple question during the catechesis, “Brads, sino po ang Diyos para sa’yo?” [Brother, who is God for you?] Thinking on how to please the boy and make him understand my concept of God in a very simple way, I answered, “Ang Diyos para sa’kin, parang syang hangin, hindi man natin nakikita, pero sigurado tayong nandiyan s’ya, kung wala, hindi tayo makakahinga" (God for me is wind, we may not see Him, but we are certain that He's around. If not, we'll not be abe to breathe).

Deep within, I was not satisfied with my answer that I had to ask myself again, “Who is God really for me? The creator? The redeemer? The Father? A friend? Teacher or mentor? Who really is He?” I was thinking on how God is revealing Himself to me in the here and now. I admit that I have never been attentive to this matter before and it’s strange how a 10-year old boy made me seriously think about it.

I note that God has given me what I do not like and has kept me away from the things I prefer – my apostolate assignment, my teaching loads and many other things. Sometimes I doubt whether God wants me to be in the seminary, because what I do not like is given to me. Just like putting a mosquito repellent lotion so the mosquitoes would go away because it drives them away. But looking closely on the situation, I realized that, perhaps, God is allowing me to experience such adverse things in order to stretch me and bring out the best in me. He may want me to be more obedient and stronger in will.

Now, who is God for me? Who really He is for me? He is a God who challenges me so I may become stronger; a God who allows me to undergo desolations in order to relish His comfort; a God who burdens me with so many tribulations so I may emerge triumphant; a God who pretends to hate me so that I may strive with my utmost effort to win His love.

Towards the end of the catechesis, Dominic shared his answer to the group, “Ang Diyos, para siyang kama, kapag pagod na pagod na ako, hihiga at magpapahinga na lang ako sa kanya” (God is like a bed. When I am already tired, I will just lie down and rest in Him).

Dominic, a difficult 10-year old boy, who has changed my perspective of God, of Love.

20160229_FIN0.jpg

20160229_FIN1.jpg

20160229_FIN2.jpg

20160229_FIN3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 3934(II)_Don Bosco in Our Midst (RM in EAO_18)

By Fr. Randy Figuracion, SDB Cebu, Philippines, 9 March 2016 - In his maiden visit to the Philippine South Province (FIS) on March 9, 2016, the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime, SDB first set foot in the island of Negros to visit Do...
    Date2016.03.10 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1089 file
    Read More
  2. 3934(I)_The EAO Provincial and Delegate Superiors meeting_III

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Batangas, Philippines, 9 March 2016 - The Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime, SDB and his secretary, Fr. Horacio Lopez, SDB left Don Bosco Batulao at 2:45am to catch a 6:00am flight to Negros Occidental, thei...
    Date2016.03.10 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1223 file
    Read More
  3. 3933_EAO Pentecost - Very Open and Courageous Provincials (RM in EAO_17)

By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB Batulao, Philippines, 9 March 2016 - Few hours ago (3 AM early morning) Fr. Angel left the Don Bosco Retreat House of Batulao for the last leg of his second visit in the EAO for the FIS province (Philippines South...
    Date2016.03.09 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1015 file
    Read More
  4. 3932_The EAO Provincial and Delegate Superiors meeting_II (RM in EAO_16)

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Batangas, Philippines, 8 March 2016 - Today, the EAO Provincials and Delegate Superiors welcomed the day with the celebration of the Holy Eucharist with the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime, SDB, as the mai...
    Date2016.03.08 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1456 file
    Read More
  5. 3931(II)_The EAO Provincial and Delegate Superiors meeting (RM in EAO_15)

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Batangas, Philippines, 7 March 2016 - The first day of the East-Asia Oceania (EAO) Provincial Superiors and Delegate Superiors Meeting. The day opened with the 6:30 morning meditation and the 7:00am Holy Mass. Fr. ...
    Date2016.03.08 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1188 file
    Read More
  6. 3931(I)_The Rector Major Was Moved In Tuloy Sa Don Bosco (RM in EAO_14)

By Fr. Vester Casaclang, SDB Muntinlupa City, Philippines, 5 March 2016 - After coming from the Salesian Family Mass and meeting in Makati City, the Rector Major proceeded to Tuloy Sa Don Bosco Street Children Village in Muntinlupa City. Ki...
    Date2016.03.08 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1313 file
    Read More
  7. 3930(III)_Retor Major visits Don Bosco - Batulao (RM in EAO_13)

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Nasugbu, The Philippines, 6 March 2016 - After a day full of activities in Don Bosco Tondo and Don Bosco Calauan, the Rector Major arrived safely in Don Bosco – Batulao at around 6:00pm together with Fr. Vaclav Kle...
    Date2016.03.07 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1316 file
    Read More
  8. 3930(II)_Retor Major visits Don Bosco - Calauan (RM in EAO_12)

By Bro. Jomar Castillo, SDB Calauan, The Philippines, 6 March 2016 - Under the scorching heat of the noontime sun, the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez, SDB, arrived in Don Bosco Calauan, Laguna, 81 km south from Tondo, Manila to visit the...
    Date2016.03.07 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views997 file
    Read More
  9. 3930(I)_Retor Major visits Don Bosco - Tondo (RM in EAO_11)

By Cl. Juvelan Paul N. Samia, SDB Manila, The Philippines, 6 March 2016 – On the third day of the Rector Major’s stay in the Philippines, he visited two Salesian presences that work directly with and for the poorest youth namely, Don Bosco ...
    Date2016.03.07 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views2025 file
    Read More
  10. 3929(IV)_Retor Major with Salesian Family (RM in EAO_10)

By Ms. Imelda Benitez-Domitita, ASC Makati City, Philippines, 5 March 2016 - The Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime, SDB, celebrated the Holy Mass for the members of the Salesian Family today, March 5, at 3:00 in the afternoon at the ...
    Date2016.03.06 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views880 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 ... 538 Next
/ 538