?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1015 Comment 0

20160331_WOR.jpg

By Fr. Noel Sumagui, SDB

Fr. Noel Sumagui (45 years, Filipino missionary from FIN province) was sent by the Rector Major last September 2015 with other 5 missionaries to Sri Lanka Viceprovince. Six months after living in this South Asia country that suffered recently a civil war and many painful experiences, Fr. Noel shares his new life experience:

How did you sense that you had a missionary vocation? Why did you take this decision?

After ordination to the priesthood, I always wanted to apply to the missions again (I had been to Papua New Guinea as a practical trainee for 3 years) in fact I believe I have always had the longing. But it is only for the past 5 years that the longing became a passion. What prevents me from applying is the feeling that I am never good enough to be a missionary. Only to realize that if I wait for the time before I can really be much prepared to go, then I would be too old to do so. That’s why although I never intended it to be—on my 45th year of existence in this world, after 25 years of being a Salesian, and after 15 years of being a priest, I took the courage to make a leap of faith, and decided to make this desire a reality. After all, no matter how inadequate I felt I could be, I have also received much and it would be but proper that I share it to wherever and to whomever God will send me.

What is the hardest thing you had to give up?

Because of my age and formation, and my being a Salesian for 25 years, I can more or less say that I was stable with the ministry I was doing and could offer for the Congregation in my mother province. These, the comfort of confreres I grew up with, my family whom I can get in touch and visit, and the natural environment and culture that is so much like my skin already—these are the things I found so difficult to give up. Especially now that the longer I stay in Sri Lanka, the more I discover the big difference between their culture from what I got used to. Now I am literally like a child learning and trying to embrace everything from the basics.

This choice needs courage. Where do you get it from?

God has been good and generous to me in spite and despite of my so many shortcomings in the past as a person, a religious, and as a priest. And yet He has given me so much too. I will be a hypocrite if I say that missionary life is easy, and my experiences for the past months in Sri Lanka were a walk in the park. But at night when I have the chance to talk to him in front of the Blessed Sacrament, I always remind myself and tell Him “its only You…nothing else!” It might sound as if I am spiritualizing, but that has really been my prayer so far. I learned to stop giving other incentives, excuses, reasons and motivations to myself. I just get disappointed. After all, I simply really just want to give Him back everything.

Could you tell us about a day in your missionary life?

I was having a chat with a Sri Lankan pre novice one day and I asked him how does he envision himself in the future. He says that he would like to be a Salesian Priest. But he said “not just an ordinary Salesian Priest dying one day. I want to be a Salesian Missionary Priest, and I want to go to very remote places and to the poorest. I want to have meaning in my life.” It put a smile in my face but especially a feeling of big affirmation in my heart…after all, this young person see that being a missionary is “having deeper meaning in life”.

Do you have some particular project at heart?

The best way to learn a culture is to learn a language. Sinhala and Tamil are the 2 languages being spoken in Sri Lanka. If I want to understand better the people specially the young, I have to make this a real priority now. But also I am very much aware that because of globalization, the Sri Lankans are seriously taking the opportunities they have to be able to study the English language. This too will surely not make them only learn to speak and write in this language, but also acquire a sub-culture. Since I am an English teacher by profession, and I speak this language, I might as well take the chance to be of help so that they can both have a command of this language, and inevitably embrace a sub-culture. Imparting a sub-culture is the real challenge and a mission.

20160331_WOR1.jpg

20160331_WOR2.jpg

20160331_WOR3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4002_Malaysia mission need frist three Salesians

Archbishop John Ha and his auxiliary Simon Poh, Kuching archdiocese By Fr Vaclav Klement, SDB Kuching, Malaysia, 12 May 2016 - One and half year after the first green lights for the Malaysian mission dream, the EAO Regional councilor was ab...
    Date2016.05.12 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1159 file
    Read More
  2. 4001_Theological Symposium on Mercy in Vietnam

By Fr Khanh Quoc, SDB Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, - On the morning of Saturday, May 7th, 2016, the Committee on Academic Affairs of the Province of Vietnam, together with the Theological Institute of Blessed Philip Rinaldi, held the symposium entit...
    Date2016.05.12 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1104 file
    Read More
  3. 4000_Congratulations! AustraLasia over 4000 news!

By Our Own Correspondent Congratulations, 11 May 2016 - Among the most vibrant Salesian news services - AustraLasia news - reached 4000th news item. According Fr. Filiberto Gonzalez, General Councilor for the Social Communications the Austr...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views735 file
    Read More
  4. 4006(I)_Cambodia Delegation: Forward and Together

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 29 April 2016 -- After the visit of the Rector Major to Cambodia, the growing Educative Pastoral Communities of the Delegation sent once more their representatives to a journey of 3 days with ...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views6867 file
    Read More
  5. 3999_EAO missionary practical training in Africa

By Cl. Anthony Lo Po Tak, SDB Lungi, Sierra Leone, 11 May 2016 - "Ow de body?" ("How are you?" in Krio, local language in Sierra Leone) After few months in Ghana (AustraLasia 3770: ) China province 'missionary practical trainee' Anthony, fi...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1014 file
    Read More
  6. 3998(II)_Mobile Holy Door in the Diocese of Gizo

Solomon Islands - Mercy for all By ANS Gizo, Solomon Islands, 10 May 2016 - When he announced the Jubilee of Mercy Pope Francis said that a Door of Mercy should be opened in every diocese, "so that everyone will be able to experience the lo...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1937 file
    Read More
  7. 3998(I)_Youth Pilgrimage, Tokyo by Night

Salesian Youth Day By Mr. Chihiro Okawa Tokyo, Japan, From 7 to 8 May 2016 - 40 young people involved with the Salesian Family, aged 18 to 30, gathered for the Salesian Youth Day - Night Pilgrim Walk in Tokyo. This pilgrimage on foot was pr...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views692 file
    Read More
  8. 3997_Becoming a small seed in African garden

Don’t cry for me, Tonj – version 2016! From the interview with the ‘Peace Broadcasting’ Korea By Fr Raphael Lee, SDB Tonj, South Sudan (AFE), 10 May 2016 - In the footsteps of the late Fr. John Lee (1962-2010), another Korean missionary rea...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1176 file
    Read More
  9. 3996(II)_EAO missionary to be ordained deacon in Africa

By Le Ho Quoc Dung Peter, SDB Nairobi, Kenya, 8 May 8 2016 - Greetings from Don Bosco Utume, Salesian Theological College, Nairobi, Kenya, AFE Province. Wow – I’m ready to take this opportunity to share my first five years missionary experi...
    Date2016.05.09 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1507 file
    Read More
  10. 3996(I)_Korea Province animation visit 2016

By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 3~8 May 2016 - After the extraordinary visitation of INT (India – Tiruchy) province the EAO Regional Councilor dedicates the whole month of May to the animation visits in six EAO countries (Korea, Mala...
    Date2016.05.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views929 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 ... 538 Next
/ 538