?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1456 Comment 0

20160820_PGS.jpg

By Ms. Arlene Abital

Port Moresby, PNG, 19 August 2016 -- A panel of experts from the Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (DHERST) will conduct an institutional visit at Don Bosco Technological Institute, East Boroko on the 19th of August, 2016. The visit is part of the institute’s application for accreditation and registration as an independent tertiary institute in Papua New Guinea. DHERST will provide an avenue for improving the program it offers and its curriculum.

The 21 new programs for both Diploma and Bachelor in Technology and Bachelor of Education-Technical in the next Academic Year 2017 were critically scrutinized by two members of the panel during the first visit to DBTI on the 1st July, 2016. The second visit of the DHERST panel of experts will comprise of Mr. Ponnusamy Manohar-Chairman of the Panel from the University of Papua New Guinea, Professor John Pumwa - Member of the Panel from University of Technology, Ms. Wilma Paka from DHERST and Mr. Russell Pasikila from DHERST who will assist the panel in secretarial assistance to the panel.

On Friday, the panel started their visit with a meeting with the Rector and Principal for the formal introductions. This was followed by the interview with Fr. Louie Castaneda, SDB-Rector, representatives from the Governing Board, DBTI House Council, Board of Studies, selected personnel from the different offices in the institute, selected teaching and non-teaching staff, selected Diploma and Bachelor students and the Student Representative Council. The personal meeting with them will allow the panel to have the needed information on the over-all organization and running of the institute and its preparedness to deliver the new programs in 2017.

DBTI has been affiliated with Divine Word University (DWU) for the past 12 years and this affiliation will cease on November 25, 2016. DBTI has made a decision not to renew its affiliation agreement with DWU but to seek accreditation with DHERST and to be recognized as an independent institute of higher learning in the country.

DBTI believes that this move will be advantageous for PNG students because it will provide more benefits to the new intakes of Academic Year 2017 and beyond.

Furthermore, DBTI can develop and run its own program according to Don Bosco’s pedagogy of education and can advance in the development of programs in technologies as needed by the workforce in PNG.

Dr. Catherine Nongkas, Strategic Partnerships and Quality Assurance Officer at DBTI expressed “I am confident on how the Program Specification Documents have been compiled thus far. The institution has everything to progress as an institute of higher learning- the workshops, resources, infrastructures and above all the willingness and the commitment of the staff”, Dr. Nongkas said.

“I am at ease with how DBTI prepares the documents for accreditation. My ease comes from the dedicated staff and from the leadership support of the Rector himself,” said Dr. Br. Alfred Tivinarlik, Higher Education Consultant at DBTI for various meetings, seminar workshops and conference were conducted to prepare for this significant milestone.

“When I first arrived in PNG, I tried to see my role as a Rector in the places where I worked in the Philippines and how it can fit into the new culture. I am impressed with the running of the boarding house where there is a good reflection of Don Bosco’s spirituality. I would like to continue the call of the congregation in assisting the disadvantaged and less privileged youth of society as we progress as an institution. DBTI would like to have a positive impact on the lives of young in PNG,” said Fr. Louie, SDB.

The Principal of the institute, Fr. Ariel Macatangay, SDB said, “I am happy and excited, knowing that visit is a step forward in our decision to be a ‘stand-alone’ higher education institution. It is an important step to a long-term direction proposed to us by at the July 2015 Stakeholders' Conference, i.e., to be a Catholic University. I am hopeful that we are moving in the right direction, and with the help of many people and groups supporting us, we shall achieve our dreams.” Fr. Ariel positively noted.

Special thanks to Fr. Clifford Morais, SDB - Treasurer who provided refreshments of the accrediting panel for the entire day.

The accreditation and registration under DHERST entails a corresponding fee to be decided by the Panel of Experts.

20160820_PGS1.jpg

20160820_PGS2.jpg

20160820_PGS3.jpg

20160820_PGS4.jpg

20160820_PGS5.jpg

20160820_PGS6.jpg

20160820_PGS7.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )