Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2016.11.01 14:48

4185_“Well done Syl”

Views 1165 Comment 0

20161101_PGS.jpg

Vocation story of Br. Sylvester Kuli, SDB

By Bro. Sylvester Kuli, SDB

Boroko, PNG, 1 November 2016 -- Being a typical village boy (tok pisin - ples man), I never ever dreamt of being a religious or a public servant in my child hood. My ideal was to live an ordinary life as a villager.

My Vocation Story began when I entered Don Bosco Vanimo. I was impressed by Fr. Wie and Fr. Dan. The curiosity of who they are, eventually led me to discover the ‘Salesians’. I then thought to myself, “I want to be like them”.

Before long I found myself at a “Come and See Program”, led by Br. Joseph Quang sdb, who gave formation programs on Fridays. The thought of their great intelligence infused in me a curiosity to pursue what I felt deep within. Though that was my personal interest out of admiration, the motivation grew when I was assigned to be sacristan. I would wake up before the boys to prepare for the mass. There was something special in those moments as I went to collect flowers and decorate the altar. The fragrance of the flowers, the contact with nature and the celebration of the Eucharist left in me a good feeling. I remember well that after the Eucharistic Celebration, Fr. Dan and Fr. Wie would give me a tap on the shoulder and whisper the words: “Well done Syl”. These have made a very deep impression on me and I want to have that skill to speak to others such words and keep their spirits high.

Every morning I did the same thing. This eventually became a habit and I realised that even during the holidays I would hardly go to my relatives house because I feared missing the Eucharist. One Saturday I was weeding around the Salesian residence. Fr. Roger Miranda made a visit to Vanimo and saw me. He whispered to Fr. Dan, “This boy will become a good Salesian”. Those words entered my mind and I pondered over what it meant?

After the exam, though I was not good in studies, I was selected to study at Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko. A great miracle!

The years from the first to the third was a time for self-knowledge. I acquired so much: music, sports, confidence, organising, animation, planning, execution and qualification as an educator. I had in mind to leave after my fourth year to be a Journalist. Towards the end of the fourth year I was struck with a severe attack of malaria. I was on the point of death. The sickness was a time of great reflection for me. “Was I called to continue my vocation and become a priest?” I pondered. I decided to continue my vocation.

I went home and stayed there for half of the year, until I fully recovered. The following year I returned to Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko and without any hesitation and continued my discernment. I then proceeded to the Philippines for my Pre-noviciate and Noviciate. In 2014 together with Br. Bernard Kaiau I made my first profession.

Even today, I ponder on my vocation and ask myself, “What is my best response to the Lord in regard to my vocation?” And every day, I thank the Lord for the gift of the Salesian vocation. I now know that my vocation is not only to save souls but to save my own soul.

20161101_PGS1.jpg

20161101_PGS2.jpg

20161101_PGS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4198_Salesian Youth Ministry Delegaters on Fire 1

2. 4197(II)_EAO Youth Ministry Delegates & Regional Formation Commission Together! 0

3. 4197(I)_Inter Don Bosco World Youth Day 0

4. 4196(III)_The 14th Don Bosco Youth Rock Festival 0

5. 4196(I)_Short Course students graduate at DBTS 0

6. 4196(II)_MIssions and Salesian Sanctity 0

7. 4195_2016 FIS Provincial Day 0

8. 4194(II)_Letter to Elderly and Sick Confreres 1

9. 4194(I)_PGS Vice-Province concludes its Assembly of Confreres 0

10. 4193(II)_330 Catholic young people at the Youth Convention 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 ... 538 Next
/ 538