austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Saitama - Tokyo, Japan, 29 November 2019 -- "From November 23 to 26 we received Pope Francis in Japan. We were surprised by his warm closeness, by his vigorous messages against the use and immoral possession of atomic weapons, on the protection of human life and the care of Creation, on the solidarity of refugees and immigrants." Thus says the Bishop of Saitama, Salesian Mario Yamanouchi.

I believe that no man can endure such a dense program of activities with such a diverse audience, always with a smile on his face: it was the presence of a man full of God's love. As a bishop I was able to shake hands with the Pope four times. I remember the second, after Mass in Nagasaki, when greeting me he said: "And you, behave yourself. See you soon ... ", before giving me a pat on the back and getting in the car.

The first gesture with which he entered into harmony with the bishops

On the evening of the 23rd, as soon as he arrived at the Nunciature, he stepped from the car to greet about 200 people who were waiting under a heavy rain, thanking them for the welcome, without bothering to take cover himself. Then inside the Nunciature, when he finished reading the written greeting, he proposed an unscheduled program variation, saying that he was available if we wanted to ask him a few questions: "So we have a moment of fraternal dialogue."

After the third question, the President of the Episcopal Conference reminded him that the following morning the Pope had to take the plane at six and proposed to finish there. But the Pope spontaneously replied: "Ah, you are already tired, hungry, do you want to go home? I'm fine with you now, but if you want to go, no problem." After the translation there was a burst of laughter and then time for two more questions/gifts: the last one was by me, who gave him a "bolero" (a traditional game) with the papal coat of arms, while I asked him a question.

Meeting with young people in Tokyo Cathedral

On 25 November, after the meeting of the triple disaster in Fukushima, he arrived in the Cathedral of Tokyo to be welcomed by numerous children from various elementary schools. Then, upon entering, he was greeted by the youthful bustle of 900 voices. Three children then spoke, and I was very impressed by the second testimony, that of a teacher of Buddhist religion who neither his family nor the people in his school knew was a believer and a practitioner; and also from the third, of a Japanese-Filipino boy, a victim of bullying. The Pope encouraged everyone and gave everyone a rosary with his blessing. Everybody shouted continuously, but they didn't say: "Papa Francisco", but, with a Japanese accent: "Viva, Papa Franciscó". Many other gestures and episodes remain that are etched in my heart, some visible even on my Facebook page.

I conclude with the words in Spanish, with which the young people of the University of Sofia greeted the Pope at the exit: "Esta es la juventud del Papa".

Related news article (Espanol): Religion Digital (Spain) - Interview with Bishop Yamanouchi before the Pope visit in Japan 

https://www.religiondigital.org/mundo/Monsenor-Mario-Yamanouchi-pastoralmente-Japon-periferias-existenciales-francisco-visita-papal_0_2177182265.html

20191129_GIA8.jpg

20191129_GIA9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5991(II)_Feast of Mary Help of Christians celebrated in Fatumaca, Timor-Leste

By TLS SC Fatumaca, Timor-Leste, 27 May 2023 -- It was a great time for the Salesian Family in Baucau, Laga, Quelicai, Venilale and Fatumaca as they came together to celebrate the feast day of Mary Help of Christians at Fatumaca Shrine on 2...
    Date2023.05.30 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views600 file
    Read More
  2. 5991(I)_Thailand - SOLEMNITY OF MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 27 May 2023 -- On 24 May 2023, on the occasion of the Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians, the Salesian communities and institutions in the Salesian Family [THA] celebrated the feast of Mary Help of Christians ...
    Date2023.05.30 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1148 file
    Read More
  3. 5990(III)_Mary Help of Christians Feast Day Celebration: A Joyous Occasion of Gratitude and Commemoration

By CYM Correspondence Cebu, Philippines, 25 May 2023 -- May 24, 2023, marked a momentous occasion for Don Bon FIS. With hearts full of gratitude and reverence, the Salesians and members of the Salesian Family, friends, and guests gathered t...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1021 file
    Read More
  4. 5990(II)_Five new novices for MYM

By Fr. Andrea Mg Mg, SDB Myanmar, 25 May 2023 -- On 23 May 2023, after completing two years of Pre-Novitiate training, five novices were admitted into the novitiate year by the superior, Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB. In the ceremony, all were inv...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views304 file
    Read More
  5. 5990(I)_From Africa to Oceania to love and serve

PGS, 25 May 2023 -- My name is Joël Komlan ATTISSO. I am 28 years old. I am originally from Togo. I am a member of 151st missionary expedition (2020). Since it was at the height of COVID-19, we were not able to have our orientation bef...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  6. 5989(VI)_Xuan Hiep HCM: A Celebration of the Feast of our Mother the Help of Christians

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 24 May 2023 -- Joining the joy with the whole Salesian Family celebrate the feast of our Mother the Help of Christians, at 19:30 on May 23, 2023, Philip Rinaldi Theological Community and Don Parish Bosco Xuan ...
    Date2023.05.25 Reply0 Views232 file
    Read More
  7. 5989(V)_More than a wish granted

By Agnes B. Paulino Manila, Philippines, 24 May 2023 (although written one year earlier) -- It is almost midnight and sleep does not come. It could be due to the coffee I had when I took my medicines. It could be the adrenaline working on o...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  8. 5989(IV)_From EAO to South Sudan

South Sudan, 24 May 2023 -- Two missionaries from our EAO region share their experiences: Cl. Peter Tran Quang Tri (left in photo) and Br Joseph Thuan Thien Truc Tran (right in photo). Both were members of the 152 missionary expedition (202...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views369 file
    Read More
  9. 5989(III)_Salesian Educators today: The Yeast in the Dough

By Leo Paraha and Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG 24 May 2023 -- ‘Salesian Educators Today – The Yeast in the Dough’ was the theme of the retreat for the Salesian Lay Educators from Don Bosco Technical Sch...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views345 file
    Read More
  10. 5989(II)_"Everything is good!"

A biography of the Salesian missionary, Fr. John Tae-seok Lee, published on the occasion of the Feast of the Mary Help of Christians By Ivo Seon-ho Choe President of the Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation. Seoul, Korea, 24 May 223 -- “I...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views306 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 537 Next
/ 537