austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170327_CAM.jpg

By Cheng Chomneth Mathay, Don Bosco Past Pupil

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 2017 -- As a young journalist in Cambodia, my dream is to do the best for the development of my Cambodian people. What people expect from me and from the Media for the Cambodia of our time? It is a big question that we must keep in mind when we work reporting news and information.

The opportunity to meet other 18 journalists from 13 Asian countries in Kuala Lumpur invited by SIGNIS Journalism Desk (SIGNIS Asia) was a good experience to feel that we are not alone in the experience. One challenge for our time is the spread of misleading information and fake news. It is a reality that affects most countries of our modern time and it reduces hope and trust in the Media. The special guest was Mr Alan John, the director of Asian Journalism Fellowship Program in Singapore and former Deputy Editor of The Straits Times Singapore until 2015. He shared his point on “Fake News and Post Truth”.

It is important our commitment not to spread fake information in the realities of our countries, especially there where political and social situations could be complex. Media is challenged by the growing influence of social networks and the spread of misinformation is more powerful now than before. Definitively, people should be also ready to face fake news on the Media, especially if it is control by certain powerful interests, but those social media users can get formation in how to use it and how to respect certain boundaries of trustful information. As we have norms and rules for the road traffic, it is necessary that we know also the rules to guarantee a trustful information that communicates also hope.

As a social communication past pupil now working on the Cambodian media, I feel committed to share with my fellow juniors these experiences in order to form the future of our country. As Pope Francis says in his message for the 51st World Communication Day, life is not just a succession of events, but a history: “Everything depends on the way we look things, on the lens we use to view them.” (Pope Francis, “Fear no, for I am with you” – Is 43:5 – Communicating Hope and Trust in our Time.)

Cheng Chomneth Mathay is a past pupil of the Don Bosco Social Communication Project of Kep Province, Cambodia and now a cameraman for TV5 Channel, working to be a reporter. As a Catholic, he represented Cambodia and the Don Bosco Social Communication & Journalism Program at Signis Catholic Journalists Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, March 2017, Communicating Hope & Trust in Our Time.

20170327_CAM1.jpg

20170327_CAM2.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4355(III)_Meeting with SDB Practical Trainees

By Phuoc Nguyen, SDB Vietnam. On 19-21 of April, sixteen Salesians who are being in practical training had time together to study the Frame of Reference for Salesian Youth Ministry under the guidance of the Provincial Delegate for Formation...
    Date2017.04.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views618 file
    Read More
  2. 4355(II)_Changing face of the Missionary Postnovitiate

How are formed the future Missionaries - Dalat Don Rua By Our Own Correspondent Dalat, Vietnam, 21 April 2017 -- During past 18 years (1999-2016) not less than 111 Vietnamese Salesian missionaries ad gentes finalized their missionary vocati...
    Date2017.04.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views681 file
    Read More
  3. 4355(I)_Sr. Vilma Tallone Underscores Missionary Dimension of FMA Vocation

By Sr. Malen Estacio, FMA Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 16 April 2017 -- Sr. Vilma Tallone, Economer-General of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, visited the CMY (Cambodia-Myanmar) Province recently. She stayed in Cambodia from April 5 to 9...
    Date2017.04.22 CategoryFMA Reply1 Views595 file
    Read More
  4. 4354_EAO Regional Congress preparation (5)

Salesian Cooperators in Solomon Islands By Fr. Srimal Priyanga, SDB PGS Viceprovince ASC Delegate Honiara, Solomon Islands, 20 April 2017 -- I'm happy to share with you, that two years after the first historical visit of the Rector Major to...
    Date2017.04.21 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1103 file
    Read More
  5. 4353_Mongolia Delegation Asks your Prayers (for Fr. Carlo Villegas)

Easter 2017, Mongolia Missionary diary By Fr. Paul Leung, SDB Delegate of Mongolia Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 18 April 2017 April 16 : Happy Easter! Today I have not so good news to share with you: Yesterday evening during the Easter Vigil Mass...
    Date2017.04.20 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1257 file
    Read More
  6. 4352_EAO Regional Congress preparation (4)

Strong investment in formation in past 3 years: ASC - China province report By Mrs Teresa Lam, ASC Provincial Coordinator CIN Hong Kong, 18 April 2017 -- China Province of Salesian Cooperators has three major zones with 9 centers in Hong Ko...
    Date2017.04.18 CategoryASC Reply1 Views669 file
    Read More
  7. 4351_Easter Celebrated in Wa Region

By Fr. Bosco Ze Ya Aung, SDB Vice-provincial MYM Wa, Myanmar, 17 April 2017 -- I wish you a very happy Easter. The Lord has risen to give us life. Our complete provincial council of Myanmar (Superior of the Vice-province Fr. Charles Saw) ju...
    Date2017.04.18 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views682 file
    Read More
  8. 4350(II)_Easter Journey with the Youth at Risk

Don Bosco Dong Thuan - the most beloved youth of Don Bosco are here! By Our Own Correspondent Dong Thuan, Vietnam, 16 April 2017 -- Twelve Salesians and 3 FMA Sisters of Dong Thuan Vocation Training Center (Opened in 2004, Rector Fr. Thomas...
    Date2017.04.17 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views977 file
    Read More
  9. 4350(I)_EAO Regional Congress 2017 (3) Singapore report

By Mr. Lester John Wan, ASC Singapore, 16 April 2017 -- Among the 220 participants of the 9th EAO Regional Congress of Salesian Cooperators (Tokyo, May 7-10) is also one lonely member resident in Singapore. We share this frank and future op...
    Date2017.04.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views748 file
    Read More
  10. 4349_Passion story of Richard - Korokocho slum of Nairobi 2017

By Fr. Joseph Minja, SDB Bosco Boys, Nairobi, Kenya AFE Province Nairobi, Kenya, 14 April 2017 -- As every year we celebrate the Passion of Jesus and during the Triduum we remember the Great Love of God for each one of us. Indeed for Don Bo...
    Date2017.04.15 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views893 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 ... 538 Next
/ 538