Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2017.11.01 15:50

4536(II)_The Knock

Views 1532 Comment 0

20171101_PGS.jpg

The Vocatin Story of Yawalele Pius

By Asp. Yawalele Pius

Port Moresby, PNG, 1 November 2017 -- The plane elevated from Gurney airport, circled twice, then headed in the direction of Port Moresby. All the passengers on board were travelling except for me; I was “FLYING”.

Sanderson Bay came into view below and the Owen Stanley ranges stretched out in heaps of endless Blue Mountains towards Central Province. There were times as I recalled, when the so called MBA (Milne Bay Air) was rendering air service on Good Enough Island. The planes would come to the Island every Sunday morning. I was still a small boy, then. When the plane comes, we (the children) would run out into open spaces or clearing, or run out of the house if we were inside and watch the plane until it disappears into the sky, or, goes to land at Vivigani Airstrip. When on our way to the river to bathe for Sunday school or Mass, we would wish that the pilot should see us and come to take us. Sometimes we would sit by the fire in the evening and dream of traveling on aeroplanes one day. Some years went by, and there my wish came true, or was it a dream. It was my first time to travel by plane.

But how did this whole sequence begin?

I now live at the Savio Haus aspirantate in Bomana doing my Religious Studies (RS-1). Despite the many challenges and setbacks as any person can experience, I want to give of my best in any way possible.

I am from Good Enough Island, Milne Bay Province. There are six of us in the family. One girl and the rest are boys. I am the second child, the eldest being my sister. My parents were married in 1990 and I was born four years later.

The whole of my life was spent on the Good Enough Island since my birth to the time I graduated from Grade 12 at Santa Maria Secondary School, Watuluma, in 2014. During my school days, when I received my end of term report, the comments would be: “A quiet person.” Indeed, it was all too true about me. In all the twelve years at school, I can say with certainty that I had asked less than ten questions, not to mention the questions I answered because I rarely answer questions during class. I only did my tests and assignments.

My first encounter with the Salesians was not by vocation promotion talk, but by the movie of Don Bosco that I watched after I graduated from Grade10. Religious life was not my dream and I never thought of becoming a priest.

But one day when the Lord touched my life, and my world turned upside down. After my grade twelve, there was no offer for me and I was not accepted in any institution I applied to. So I stayed back home. Formal education for me was over and it was time to substitute the biro (pen) with the spade; and book with soil. Nothing mattered most than adapting to village life and living as a village person. It wasn’t that bad, it was only a matter of adjusting the sails to go with the wind.

Then, one day I requested Sr. Shanty, an MSI sister from India and with the help of Sr. Rita MSI, I was able to meet Fr. Pedro, a Salesian priest at Alotau. Then in 2016, under the guidance of my parish priest, Fr. Robert, I went to Rabaul.

If the Lord calls me to live this life, I wish no more than do what he intends me to do. I want to see many young people fulfilling their dreams following Christ in the footsteps of Don Bosco. I also would like the young people of my Province to experience the presence of Don Bosco and have a taste of His System of Education for the young.

It all began with a simple YES. God knocks on the door of our heart day by day. He wants to come in. Am I ready to let Him in? Or one might ask, “Have I heard God calling me?” No. Rather, let us ask, “Have I ever LISTENED?” He is constantly calling us, but His call is suppressed by music through my headset from the mobile phone or I am too busy answering the messages from my friends on Facebook.

I conclude with my favourite quote of Mother Teresa. ‘Before you speak, it is necessary for your to listen, for God speaks in the silence of your heart’.

20171101_PGS1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4548(I)_Thank you Don Nicosia!

We learn from the zeal and simplicity of Fr. Nicosia By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB Hong Kong, 9 November 2017 -- My very first impression of Father Nicosia was in 1998 when I was an aspirant. He was introduced to all aspirants by our formator i...
    Date2017.11.11 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1614 file
    Read More
  2. 4547(V)_Fr. Filiberto González visit to Cambodia

Join to the Cambodia FMA 25 Year's Celebration By Fr. Francis Gulzar, SDB Kep, Cambodia, 10 November 2017 -- Fr. Filiberto González, World Councilor for the Social Communication, paid a visit to Cambodia to know the social communication dep...
    Date2017.11.10 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views756 file
    Read More
  3. 4547(IV)_Akash is a symbol of hope for all of us!

New light in Youhannabad Catholic community - Akash Bashir! By Fr. Francis Gulzar, SDB Lahore, Pakistan, 10 November 2017 -- "Two and half years after the suicide bombings in our Christian colony of Youhannabad the life is going on. One of ...
    Date2017.11.10 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views758 file
    Read More
  4. 4547(III)_Focus on Salesian Missionary Heart

By Fr. Ding Cortez, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 10 November 2017 -- Each of the 90 Salesian provinces around the world is invited to celebrate once a year a "SALESIAN MISSION DAY". There are many ways how to celebrate it in a meaningful wa...
    Date2017.11.10 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1345 file
    Read More
  5. 4547(II)_Education to the faith at the heart of our school

Blessing of new religion activity room in Aberdeen Technical School By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB Hong Kong, 6 November 2017 -- 6th Nov., also the birthday of Fr Simon Lam, a new religion activity room is blessed and launched in Aberdeen Techni...
    Date2017.11.10 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views793 file
    Read More
  6. 4547(I)_Listenful moments of the visitation encounter

ITM Viceprovince visitation is taking off - Manila students encounter By Cl. Gersio Amaral, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 3 Novwmber 2017 -- We are very gratetul for the first extra-ordinary visitation encounter in our Vice-province. Our one...
    Date2017.11.10 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views588 file
    Read More
  7. 4546_"We are one Family!"

Mamma Margaret Association Korea By Fr. John Jung, SDB Daejeon, Korea, 5 November 2017 -- Last November 4-5 was held the already traditional semestral encounter of Mamma Margaret Association in Daejeon, Salesian Youth Center with the partic...
    Date2017.11.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views905 file
    Read More
  8. 4545(II)_102-Year Old EAO Patriarch, Apostle of Hansenian Patients Fr. Gaetano Nicosia RIP

Model of Salesian missionary zeal, Fr. Nicosia - passed to the Salesian garden! By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Provincial CIN Hong Kong, 7 November 2017 -- On Monday, 06 November, 2017, at 17:15 hours Hong Kong time, the oldest Salesian c...
    Date2017.11.08 Reply1 Views1161 file
    Read More
  9. 4545(I)_Blessing and Dedication of the Don Bosco Shrine

Don Bosco Simbu Technical College, Simbu By Sr. Marivel F. Monteveros SCSA Simbu, PNG, 5 November 2017 -- The Don Bosco Shrine, Simbu was blessed and dedicated on the 5th November, 2017 by His Excellency John Cardinal Ribat MSC, Archbishop ...
    Date2017.11.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1018 file
    Read More
  10. 4544(III)_Bible & Life Publications Seoul

Caritas Sister of Jesus, Korea - Suwon Province By Sr. Silveria, CSJ Suwon, Korea, 5 November 2017 -- With 14 Caritas Sisters of Jesus and ten lay mission partners the Suwon province of Caritas sisters has the largest community. Started in ...
    Date2017.11.07 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1106 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 ... 538 Next
/ 538