NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2017.11.27 15:43

4565_The reality of the missions

Views 613 Comment 0

20171127_PGS.jpg

An interesting and unforgettable experience: 

Melanie Ferreira shares her experience of a months volunteering in Papua New Guinea

By Melanie Ferreira

Port Moresby, PNG, 27 November 2017 -- After 5 years of study, with a two and a half hour ride each way to my college, late hours in project work and assignments, and having graduated with a Bachelors in Architecture, it was now time for a break. The invitation of ‘work cum enjoyment’ holiday intrigued me, and I consented to the invitation of my uncle priest, Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb. My mum was supportive, dad a bit troubled, my sister wondered what had gone into me and my friends thought I was crazy. Before arriving in PNG, I researched and reflected on Papua New Guinea. I read up a decent bit, about the people, the native wildlife, the city of Port Moresby, the provinces, the country in general and tourist experiences. I was struck by the beautiful ‘Bird of Paradise’, its history, ancestors and customs, but nothing prepared me for the most amazing, enriching, interesting and unforgettable experience of my life.

The first aspect of PNG that I noticed, was that the city had decent public roads. The roads around Port Moresby were a pleasant surprise but the land circumscribed by it was deserted, with only a few buildings and homes along the coastal road edge. I come from Mumbai and I’m accustomed to a high density of people and things in a small area, so arriving in Port Moresby and seeing the sparseness of the capital of PNG was strange for me. The experiences of many tourists were unfortunately very negative and I was privileged enough to have overwhelmingly positive encounters with every aspect of Papua New Guinea. Reading about the country didn’t truly match up to what I experienced, there is a lot of violence, but I found that on the whole, a majority of people were extremely kind and jovial.

The first institute I worked at was Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu. I worked with was the Short Term I.T course students. They were a fun, mischievous class but during my two-day workshop with them, they were very attentive and eager to learn about shapes and paper modelling. They co-operated and pulled out great results from a workshop that was clearly outside of their curriculum.

Working at Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko was exciting because I got to view a college and its students from a professors’ point of view, when just a few months ago I was a student too! The professors were dedicated and it was such a pleasure to observe and participate in their classes.

Residing at the Mary Our Help Hostel, DBTI campus for about a week and a half and the Salesian Sisters and hostel girls really made me feel at home! They were all so kind and gregarious, I truly felt accepted from the first day.

The experience that struck me most was the random friendliness my uncle and I found in one of the villages we stopped at, on our way to Kerema. We stopped at a tiny village to have a papaya and the people of this village, spoke to us with no formalities or apprehensions, just a natural curiosity. Araimiri is the place that made my Papuan experience unique. The journey, the jungle, the humidity and the people, all of which combined together, gave me an inner feel that our young people are eager and searching for something greater!

My time in ‘The Land of the Unexpected’ has taught me to be open to new experiences. I went without any presumptions about what PNG and the people are like, and I believe that, this served me well. I had a great time, talking and listening to the foreigners and locals, following a different routine compared to what I am familiar with, and touring a small part of the country. If you want a unique experience of culture and customs, keep an open mind and hold no assumptions! PNG is sure to prove most expectations wrong, and hopefully, the country and its people, will always shine with a positive light.

20171127_PGS1.jpg

20171127_PGS2.jpg

20171127_PGS3.jpg

20171127_PGS4.jpg

20171127_PGS5.jpg

20171127_PGS6.jpg

20171127_PGS7.jpg

20171127_PGS8.jpg

20171127_PGS9.jpg

20171127_PGS10.jpg

20171127_PGS11.jpg

20171127_PGS12.jpg

20171127_PGS13.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4585(III)_Don Bosco Sunday School Share The Spirit Of Christmas With The Old People

At Home Of Compassion And The Old Sisters At Wailoku, Suva By Br. Sinapati Ioane, SDB Suva, Fiji, 18 December 2017 -- “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly Merry Christmas.” – Peg Bracken It’s that time of the ...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1945 file
    Read More
  2. 4585(II)_Live and work together make me joyful in the Salesian life

Interview with a Vietnamese Salesian Brother Mission in Belgium (Project Europe) By Our Own Correspondent Hechtel, Belgium, 17 December 2017 -- Br. Joseph Hoan Pham, SDB is one of the 20 Salesian Brothers - missionaries ad gentes living and...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1200 file
    Read More
  3. 4585(I)_27 new Salesian Cooperators Promised in Korea

During the annual Advent Retreat in Daejeon By KOR-ASC Daejeon, Korea -- December 2~3rd 2017 there held an Annual Retreat and the Promise of 27 new Salesian Cooperators in Korea. About 180 Salesian Cooperators gathered together,some of them...
    Date2017.12.18 CategoryASC Reply0 Views726 file
    Read More
  4. 4584(III)_Starting from the rooms of Don Bosco

EAO Student confreres of UPS visited the Sacred Heart!: First EAO encounter at Sacro Cuore By Fr. Dominic Savio Seong, SDB Sacro Cuore, Rome, 15 December 2017 -- The traditional semestral encounter of the EAO confreres - students in Rome to...
    Date2017.12.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1552 file
    Read More
  5. 4584(II)_Revival of Don Bosco's Oratory

A new book on the experience of Don Bosco in the Valdocco Oratory By Our Own Correspondent UPS, 14 December 2017 -- For all English reading Salesians it's a great gift. Fr. Michal Vojtas is a Salesian Priest from Slovakia, during past 10 ye...
    Date2017.12.16 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1028 file
    Read More
  6. 4584(I)_Quinquenium Seminar on Psycho-Spiritual

By Fr. Julio Motta, SDB Comoro, Indonesia, 14 December 2017 -- A group of fourteen Salesians composed of 2 lay brothers perpetually professed and 12 priests underwent an on-going formation the so-called quinquenium. The main theme of this f...
    Date2017.12.16 CategoryINA Reply1 Views1130 file
    Read More
  7. 4583_First Advent experience in Kuching - Malaysia

By Fr. Andre Belo, SDB Kuching, Malaysia, 14 December 2017 -- "We are in the time of Advent, preparing for the Lord Jesus who is coming to us. We wait for Him as He waits and hopes for each one of us personally to come to Him. It is the tim...
    Date2017.12.15 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1558 file
    Read More
  8. 4582_The Namuncurá Experience

By Asp. Palep Begiglen Port Moresby, PNG, 10 December 2017 -- We had several sessions that prepared us for our Salesian Missionary Experience which is a new formation program for first year College aspirants of our of PGS Vice-Province. Dur...
    Date2017.12.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1153 file
    Read More
  9. 4581(II)_Strong appeal to the Salesian apostolic generosity

Missionary Call of the Rector Major 2017 By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 8 December 2017 -- Three months after the 148th Salesian missionary expedition with 20 new missionaries, the 10th sucessor of Don Bosco does renew his missionary appeal ...
    Date2017.12.13 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views1886 file
    Read More
  10. 4581(I)_Be the Salt of the Earth in Macau

Youth serving the Youth - GEX of Macau (Young Alumni of Don Bosco) By Our Own Correspondent Macau, China, 13 December 2017 -- With an established tradition of helping our Salesian school students to taste the volunteering from their school ...
    Date2017.12.13 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views845 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 ... 537 Next
/ 537