NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 914 Comment 0

20171219_AUL.jpg

Practical training - growing in relationship with God: 

Interview with Cl. Jeff Miller

By Our Own Correspondent

Sydney, Australia, 18 December 2017 --

Practical training is a time of vocation maturity. How did you mature in your vocation during past few months?

The first 4 years of Salesian formation led me to rethink many of the ideas that I had about my relationship with God, others, and myself; every idea that I came to understand would give way to 10 more ideas that I didn’t understand, and so the earlier years were a very confusing time. Having no way of understanding everything that was happening in my life was very painful, and for the most part, I would deal with this by praying and hoping that God would some-day soon ‘flip a switch’ and make everything better. Throughout this first year of practical training, I’ve come to realise that God, in fact, doesn’t intend to instantaneously make everything better, and that this state of unknowing is the means by which God means to draw me closer. In light of this, my vocation has changed from a ‘dream of a carefree life’ that I was hoping for, to a firm foundation upon which I can stand to endure the unknown of the years ahead.

What are the most satisfactory and joyful moments of your practical training experience?

The most satisfying moments of the practical training experience are certainly the ones I have no say in; the duties and projects I commit myself to on a daily basis bring little joy, as the endless questioning of ‘whether I should be doing more’ or ‘whether I should be doing them at all’ usually rob me of that. Even relationships with others don’t bring me much joy, because I’m constantly being interrogated, internally and externally, about my motivations for being in them. A kind word or a smile from someone who genuinely means it, and the firm belief that I am where God needs me to be, are the only two things which bring joy to my life.

...and your challenges?

For me, every moment of life is a challenge – every single moment of the day, joyful or otherwise, asks you ‘will you love God in this moment?’ and gives you the opportunity to say ‘YES.’ Certainly, some of these ‘YESs’ will cause more or less suffering than others; nevertheless, the question is always there.

What do you learn from the young in St Marys - Sydney?

My two main duties in St Marys are: to facilitate the Don Bosco Youth Centre and serve with music ministry at our parish, Our Lady of the Rosary. The young people in the youth centre have taught me: you have more fun when you follow the rules. Similarly, the young people in the parish have taught me: the more you seek to belong to the Church, the happier you will be.

Working together everyday SDB and FMA in one setting is your everyday experience...

The youth centre is co-run by an SDB and FMA community. The youth centre runs a bit like a two-party democracy, with all the benefits and limitations which come from that. Until I’d been part of one, I would often ask my formators why there weren’t more such combined works in the province; now that I’m working in one, I don’t see that there is any particular advantage in combining the two.

How do feel about accompaniment by your community?

As has been the case with my whole Salesian life, I feel that community accompaniment has been more passive than active, in that their presence and example is a framework in which I pursue a relationship with God. I don’t keep in touch with any other practical trainees in my province; I feel like we are all pursuing a unique vocation, at a unique pace, and that is okay.

...any free sharing, questioning, comment..

Throughout my earlier formation, there was a subtle message (sometimes spoken, sometimes unspoken) that once I started Practical Training, I would see what it was like to be a ‘real Salesian.’ From the first day I joined, I had the firm conviction that I was called to fulfil God’s plan for me by being a Salesian; up until I started PT, when struggling to discern how God’s will was being fulfilled in my life, I would dismiss the thought and tell myself: “Well, it’s not really being fulfilled because you’re not really a Salesian yet.” Absolutely, entering PT has made it very clear that the past 5 years have, of course, been exactly what God has needed them to be – and I believe I could have gleaned more from them at the time if I’d not dismissed them as ‘practice.’ Or perhaps if I’d understood the seriousness of them they would have crushed me, and God kept me in ignorance to preserve my vocation – it’s one of the many things I can’t understand, and probably don’t need to right now.

20171219_AUL1.jpg

20171219_AUL2.jpg

20171219_AUL3.jpg

20171219_AUL4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4613(I)_The Impact of Social Media Communication on Youth in the era of Globalization

First National Conference of GEX in Timor-Leste By Mr. Alberto Piedade Dili, Timor Leste, 14 January 2018 -- GEX (Don Bosco Young Alumni) Timor-Leste has recently nominated three responsible members namely: Mario Martinho, Americo Valentim ...
    Date2018.01.17 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views990 file
    Read More
  2. 4612(II)_'To Strengthen our commitment in Salesian Mission'

Visit of the Rector Major in ITM Vice-province (January 30 - February 7) By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 16 January 2018 -- Also this year the Rector Major has chosen to celebrate the Solemnity of St. John Bosco not at the Valdocco of Turin (...
    Date2018.01.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1140 file
    Read More
  3. 4612(I)_Servant of God Fr. Charles Braga - Selected Letters published

By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 15 January 2018 -- The formal process of Beatification of the Servant of God, Fr. Charles Braga (1889-1971) is going on at diocesan level still collecting the testimonials and with the work of the historical co...
    Date2018.01.16 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  4. 4611_Don Bosco opens again the doors to fire victims in Pasil

Fire in Pasil Barangay, Cebu (FIS) By Joint SC-YM Team Cebu, the Philippines, 14 January 2018 -- In the afternoon hours of Sunday, January 14 erupted rather strong fire in Barangay Pasil (three Sitios were affected: Riverside, Maharlika and...
    Date2018.01.15 CategoryFIS Reply5 Views2441 file
    Read More
  5. 4610(II)_Dream of Don Bosco Past Pupils in Panay

Sharing the dreams of the Salesian Family By Don Bosco Past Pupils Iloilo, the Philippines, 11 January 2018 -- The Don Bosco Alumni (DBTI Victorias) of Panay are grateful to Fr. Godofredo Atienza, FIS Provincial and the members of the FIS P...
    Date2018.01.14 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views998 file
    Read More
  6. 4610(I)_A true Salesian Pentecost - Japan 2018

First Meeting of SDBs and Mission Partners in Japan By Mr. Mitch Tateishi Tokyo, Japan, 8 January 2018 -- The very first meeting of mission partners and SDBs working in Salesian works was held in Miura City, Kanagawa Prefecture (next to Tok...
    Date2018.01.14 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1015 file
    Read More
  7. 4609(III)_Church does listen to the young - Hong Kong

Hong Kong Diocese started the Year of Youth 2018 From the Advent Message Rev. Michael Yeung - Bishop of Hong Kong Hong Kong, 12 January 2018 -- "In this season of expectant hope, it is also right and fitting that I should, once again, stres...
    Date2018.01.13 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views860 file
    Read More
  8. 4609(II)_Joint Council of Salesian Family Japan with Joy

Sharing the dreams of the Salesian Family By Mr. Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 12 January 2018 -- The Joint Council of the Salesian Family of 2018 was held on 9th in the provincial house of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus (Suginami, Tokyo)...
    Date2018.01.13 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1413 file
    Read More
  9. 4609(I)_Does your community celebrate the 11th of the month?

Like the 24th, like the 31st also the 11th day of each month! By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 13 January 2018 -- As in every Salesian house, also the community of Saint Joseph (Rome, Sacro Cuore - Sede Centrale Salesiana) called usually the '...
    Date2018.01.13 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views889 file
    Read More
  10. 4608(III)_Open New Horizons for Spreading Joy!

Australian Year of the Young 2018 By Rev. Timothy Costelloe, SDB Archbishop of Perth - Australia Perth, Australia, 12 January 2018 -- "The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference has announced a ‘Year of Youth’ commenced on the First Sunday ...
    Date2018.01.12 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views847 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... 537 Next
/ 537